Whats your ideal mattress

Hello everyone,

We all sort of realise that many of the claims made by Casper, Leesa and other companies are a little exaggerated when they say one mattress for all so I thought I would have some fun and issue you guys a little creative question.

What would be your optimum mattress layer construction that could still be boxed up and shipped to your door. Would you go more latex? (my preference), or mix things up and try a micro-coil layer instead. I am very excited to hear the ideas everyone comes up with.

Mine would look something like this. Its a little humble but I think would be great.

3.0" Talalay latex (4.0 pcf)
2.5 high density polyfoam (3.0 pcf)
5.0 support polyfoam (2.5 pcf)

Cheers,

TorontoCT

Hi TorontoCT,

Your “theoretical” mattress includes good quality and durable materials but you didn’t mention any of the specs that relate to comfort and firmness which is the most important part of how a mattress will “feel” and how well you will sleep on it and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and how well you sleep on a mattress is the most important part of a mattress purchase.

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using complex specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for single layers or components that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” based on the specs when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design.

The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Having said that … you can see some general comments about the properties of an “ideal” mattress in post #4 here.

Phoenix

For me, personally, gel foam mattresses re the way to go. I have a super thick one on my king size bed and its the most comfortable bed i’ve slept on. It provides perfect support for my lower back (which has issues since I slipped a disc) and its easy to climb out of in the morning!

Hi cracklepop,

I deleted the links in your previous posts which were all to the same site because they are against the forum rules and I consider them to be spam. Your posts are also showing a pattern of being somewhat meaningless and not particularly relevant to the topics you have been posting in which is against the forum rules as well.

I noticed that you edited your posts to include the links once again so I removed them for a second time and I wanted to reply here and warn you not to link to the same site again and to limit your posts to comments that are more meaningful and more specifically relevant to the topic you are posting in or you may lose your posting privileges here.

Phoenix

PS added later: I’m sorry to see that you decided to try and add the links to your posts for a third time so I have removed them once again and disabled your user account.