Where can I find an old fashioned mattress?

Hi all! My old innerspring mattress has finally died (don’t ask how old - just very, I’m embarrassed to say. But the reason it lasted so long is because it was a great mattress - never sagged). Looking for a new one, it seems they don’t make mattresses like they used to. Everything seems to have foam of one kind or another oozing out of it in several directions. More seriously, I’ve tried out many innerspring mattresses in stores, and even aside from the mushy “sinking in feeling” from all the top layers, I can’t tell that there are springs. No bounce. Does anyone know where I can find another mattress made the old-fashioned way? Firm springs, and a simple layer of some kind of rugged fabric. The borders also had something so sturdy that it felt like the cable from a suspension bridge. To me it felt more comfortable than anything new that I tried. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Springy,

I’m not sure exactly what type of mattress you owned but I’m guessing it was probably a two sided innerspring mattress with natural fiber comfort layers (such as cotton or wool) on each side of the innerspring.

There are still some manufacturers that make them “the way they used to” and there is a list of some natural fiber/innerspring mattresses in post #4 here.

There may also be a local manufacturer that still makes them in your area and if you let me know your city or zip code I’ll be happy to let you know about any that I’m aware of that are in a reasonable driving distance as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix -

Thanks for the really quick response. Yes, it was two-sided, and I’m not sure what the fabric was or how thick. It was even before they used to have the terminology “comfort layer”. It was not soft, and hardy compressible. I’d guess cotton, but I never cut it open, and probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway. I can hardly read the label, but I think it says “Englander Aristocrat” (you’re probably thinking “OMG”).

Thanks for the list - quite a bit to work through, but I’ll have a go. I live in Manhattan (Upper West Side, 10024) (I do have a car). You are obviously quite knowledgeable, and I really appreciate your willingness to share it.

Hi Springy,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City region are listed in post #2 here.

It may be worthwhile calling the manufacturers on the list I linked in my last reply to see if they have any dealers in your area.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or components or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and especially making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists that you are considering is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with or visit anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses or components that would meet your specific criteria, are fully transparent about the materials and components and/or the mattresses that they sell, and that carry the type of mattresses or components that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Having said that … out of the ones in the New York list off the top of my head I believe that Norwalk Mattress, My Custom Bedding, Charles H Beckley, The Clean Bedroom, and Longs Bedding all make and/or sell two sided innerspring/natural fiber mattresses.

Phoenix

OK, I will look into all of these things. You have a real wealth of information. Thanks again!

Hi Springy,

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course to any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I or some of the other more knowledgeable members of the forum can help with.

Phoenix

Don’s Mattress service manufactures inner spring all cotton mattresses and tufted the old fashion way since 1919. www.donsmattress.com 7812700072

Hi Gabed35,

I’ve deleted both of your posts at they were purely promotional, not directly responsive to the threads where they were posted, and violated the rules of the forum. Forum rules also require you to state your relationship to any business you’re posting about as well (you’re the Vice President).

However, I have added the business you mentioned to the Boston-area list, as it might be a resource for people to investigate, especially if looking for an old-style cotton tufted mattress.

Phoenix

I just found this site. My zip is 16148, if you know of anyplace within 100 miles for an old fashioned mattress I would love to know about it. [email protected]

Hi Ed1966.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if they are within 100 miles, but I do know that Magic Sleeper is in your area and likely has a mattress to your liking. They do traditional innerspring and two-sided flippable. You may wish to connect with them.

NikkiTMU

Thank you NikkiTMU, I will look into them.

There is a Boston MA mattress production machine that makes all the inner spring mattresses cotton and translated in the traditional way. They also make custom old mattresses and make horse hair mattresses.