where do i find info on matress materials?

I started reading about a week ago about mattress and unfortunately because of time limits had to buy one asap.
I ended up buying this at local store
glideaway.com/product/wink-zzz-youth-mattress-white/

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: glideaway.com/product/wink-zzz-youth-mattress-white/

but cant find much info about it at all.

the guy at the store show me a webpage and said it has less chemicals because its for children but I don’t know about that.

I mean the whole thing is very confusing. since 90% of typical household is filled with same chemicals that are in the mattress is it even possible to have toxic free house today? realistically? if you live in suburbs or city?

I’m looking for a full size mattress for my 4 year old kid but every “toxic free” option puts me at 1500 or more
I cant afford that

the one above was 250 plus tax.

the more I read the more I get confused about what is what. which I’m assuming is the goal of the mattress manufacturers so people just give up and buy the first thing they see

another question is
after visiting the 6th mattress store I realized that

salesmen and other workers spend their whole work day at the store and then go home and sleep on a mattress.

so they are spending really about 2/3ds of their life around the mattress.
so if anyone would be more exposed to toxic chemicals it would be them.

according to what I read on the internet in last week they should all be dead or having oxygen tanks…

am I missing something? because it seems like they have about 50-100 offgassing brand new matresses in the store at any time and breathe it all day long

Hi fuzzysig,

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately their website doesn’t provide any information about the density of the foam layers in the mattress you purchased and without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability of the materials or the mattress as a whole or identify any possible weak links in the mattress. If you can find out the foam densities from the retailer you purchased from or from Glideaway itself and post the information on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and let you know if it includes any lower quality materials that would be a cause for concern.

Post #2 here and the topics it links to have more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options for children which are worth considering (although it may be too late now that you have already purchased your mattress).

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOC’s (see post #2 here for more information about some of the more reliable “safety” certifications) and if the materials in a mattress have a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would be “safe enough”.

While I don’t know the quality/density of the foam layers in your Glideaway mattress, at least they are CertiPur certified so for most people they would be “safe enough” although I would tend to avoid memory foam mattresses for children (partly because of potential sensitivity issues and partly because it can be too soft for children).

There are certainly many great options for children that are significantly less than the $1500 budget range you mentioned.

Phoenix

fuzzysig wrote:

This is pretty common, especially with basic products like this, Even when I went to market and spoke with this company about these mattresses, they didn’t provide densities. They did tell me at that time the product was imported from China, but that could have changed in the interim. Personally, I’m more cautious with certifications from Chinese companies than domestic unless I’m completely aware of the company producing the product overseas. I can tell you the mattress is basically a slab of polyurethane foam with a thin layer of memory foam on top.

I’d ask for proof of that statement. I think that the salesperson might be parroting what they were told by a manager or other trainer. There is a law that products which are specifically designed for children under 12 must undergo additional testing, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the product uses fewer chemicals - only that it can’t contain the specific chemicals/elements that are specific to this test. There’s a little about this here. I don’t know that the product you bought was tested in this manner - I just bring it up as a potential reference that might explain what the salesperson told you.

There are incredible amounts of fear-mongering and scare tactics online, but you’ll find that at the end of most of these sites they’re trying to sell you something. Phoenix listed some great links explaining “safe” in his reply. Take a few minutes to read through that and then you can find a range that is comfortable for you and your child. By the way, I would also agree with Phoenix regarding a memory foam product for a child. I’d lean more towards a firmer innerspring or latex product. And there are certainly many choices available under $1500.