Where do I start?

First off, I’d like to say thank you for all the information you provide to us. As I’m typing I can’t believe all the time spent reading over the past couple weeks on and about mattress. I know more about mattress then I do my own health :slight_smile: . So I’m looking for suggestions on my particular need and anyone fill free to chime in. I’m located in the So. Cal area. My wife and I are in our 40’s, I’ve needed back surgery for the past 10 years and refuse it so I get injection under sedation a few times a year I also have frequent heartburn (GERD). I’m 6’1" and weigh in at a urghhhh 230lbs <~~~~ just weighed in today need to loose 30 lbs. I’m a back and side sleeper, fall asleep on side then turn on to my back usually. Now as to my wife’s issues where do I start? She is 5’4" approx. 180 lbs (normal wt. for her was 130) and has lots of health issues over the past 5 years so I will only discuss the issues that I believe are important in the decision of mattress buying. She has rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, thyroid (lots of sweat, heating and cold) and COPD. She is also a side and back sleeper and tends to like a softer mattress. With all this said I’m 100% sure on a adjustable bed and looking at the following Reverie Deluxe, L&P S Cape, Ergo 400 and now I’m seeing something called the electropedic which is a local manufacturer. Can someone just tell me what if any is the best to get or go off price the Revierie Deluxe is cheapest and the S cape is the most in regards to price which is a $450 difference. As for beds here is where I need the most amout of help. I got it down to a spit king but haven’t found anything that I really liked. I don’t think I want a spring because of an adjustable bed although there are some specially made for this application. I don’t think I want tempurpedic because of the smell, toxicity, and heat. Which leads me to a latex bed, but need to find one that is comfortable. I did stop by Flexus very nice guy by the way and spoke with the owners brother. But there best latex bed was 6" dunlop latex on top of 3" talalay latex. It felt ok, but for me it needed an extra 1" of cushion or something not quite sure how to explain it. Also it was a little bouncey which I’m not use too. I still need to take my wife here and I want to buy from them simply because there local, seem to have a quality product and they support this forum. But I need something thats good for me and my needs. So any suggestion as to what I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for the help :slight_smile:

Hi Bad1,

The first place to start (in case you haven’t read it) is post #1 here which links to the most important information you will need and has a step by step process that can help you find the best mattress for YOU.

It sounds to me like you are on step 3 (identifying the better local sources) or step 4 (testing mattresses and various combinations of material and styles).

In case you haven’t seen it … the better choices and possibilities I’m aware of in the Greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here (including Flexus and Electropedic).

With your weights and the health challenges you are facing it would be especially important if it was me to work with more knowledgeable people and to make sure you do very careful and more objective testing (some testing guidelines are in the first post I linked). Since it seems that you are looking primarily at latex … then I would first look at their websites and talk to the ones that most attract you or are closest to make sure they have a mattress that you want to test and then visit the ones that sound most promising in your initial phone conversation. If you do decide to go in the direction of looking at memory foam then I would make sure it was tested for offgassing by a reputable testing protocol (such as CertiPur). There are some good choices here as well. Who you work with can be just as important as what you buy when your circumstances are more challenging but you have some good choices available to you.

In terms of an adjustable bed … it seems like this would also be a good option for you both for health and comfort reasons and the adjustable bed thread here should be helpful in your choice. It also has some price references for all of the models that you mentioned that you can use for comparisons. Electropedic is also very knowledgeable about adjustable beds and carries many brands (and also sells latex mattresses).

When the suitability of your choice is as important as it would be for you … there are no shortcuts except some very careful testing along with working with more knowledgeable people who can help you make good choices but the good news is that you have some good options and manufacturers or retailers to work with.

Phoenix

Thanks for your input, so as I read your reply into adjustable beds they all seem to be of equal quality less a feature here or there that one might have over the other. Therefore I might as well get the one best for my pocket book. Which in this case would be the Reverie Deluxe @ $1748.00 for the split king @ adjustablebeds.org.

Now in reference to beds, yes I’m at the stage of going out and laying on them. My biggest issue here is taking my wife when she feels well.

Another tech. question would be what do you think about multiple layers in beds. I’ve read sites where there saying a solid core is best then just a topper. Some say you should have a nice base then the top. But I’ve seen sites talk about their beds having 3 or more cores. Is there a plus or minus to this. I’d think if you had more cores you would get a more custom fit. On that note, you might have issues of longevity especially with more weight. I.E. cores are thinner so they break down faster. This is just my thought. What do you think?

Hi Bad1,

I actually liked the features of the Reverie Deluxe better than the other two when I bought mine and the price difference was a bonus to me although the difference was even more when I bought it.

I don’t think there would be any “better worse” answer to this and it would depend on the design and performance you were trying to achieve. In terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) either design can work well. Multiple layers also have more flexibility in terms of designing in certain types of benefits or performance. If a mattress / topper system is designed to work together (and can be tested together as a system) then a removable topper certainly has advantages over a mattress where all the layers are inside a non zip cover because you can replace just the topper which would generally be the “weak link” of the system (like all comfort layers) instead of having to replace the entire mattress. If the mattress or the topper can be flipped then this could also extend durability but a mattress that has a zip cover with multiple layers also has similar advantages.

This would depend on the specifics of the material but all the layers of a mattress compress together not individually (to different degrees) just like different cross sectional areas of a single core compress to different degrees (the top area compresses more than the bottom unlike a spring) so the durability of any layer would depend on what was both above it and below it. Individual unglued layers do act a little more independently and act softer than the same layers in either a single core or glued together so this would also be a factor to some degree in durability. You can read more about the factors involved in durability in post #2 here but I think these types of predictions are far too complex and have too many variables to predict with any real certainty in 'real life" terms except to say that individual layers of the same ILD one on top of the other would tend towards being less durable than a single thickness layer of the same total thickness and ILD if they were being regularly compressed enough where this would make a difference.

Phoenix

So here is an update on my shopping experience. I went to the local sit n sleep, just to show my wife the selection and different kind of beds. She ended up like the aireloom luxury latex splendid http://www.sitnsleep.com/mattresses/aireloom/splendid. It is the Aireloom traditional on the Aireloom site http://www.aireloom.com/hybridCotton.html. A close second would be the Evosleep sherwood harbor pt which I can’t even find on sit n sleeps website, but found it on this site along with urban mattress. So for the Aireloom they wanted 7199.00 for the 2 twin xl and the 2 L&P S-Cape complete or 2239.00ea per mattress They said they would match my any price on both the bed and adj. bases. The Evo Sleep was, if I can read my writing 2462.19 or 5299.00 for the set with an adjustable base, but it wasn’t a l&P S-cape I can’t remember what adj. base they had for this bed. The aireloom scares me, not only for the price but the quality. A quick search shows an abundance of complance on their products however the complaints are on their spring mattresses, with the few latex reviews being excellent. With this said I’m going to try and make it down to foam sweet foam and ergocomfort tomorrow. If not over the next week. I know my wife likes latex now, but I’m realizing that she also likes the pillow tops or plush feel. I’m hoping we can make something happen with the foam sweet foam custom stacking latex beds.Also, I wanted to let you guys know how shocked I was when I asked technical question and the responses I got. Not only from sit n sleep but other show rooms we visited today. First off nobody new what ILD was. Nobody new or offered to check us while lying on the bed. They had decent general knowlege of spring mattress, latex, foam and tempurpedic but nothing too flashey. They all had seemed to have basic training from manufacturers, but I definately wasn’t impressed. Oh and just to add salt to the wound I asked a few questions like what springs do they use - answer oh double springs or they have ( blank) many springs in the bed. Me - no, I mean who makes them. Answer - ughhhhhhhh dunno maybe they do. HEHE Me - Is this an all natural latex and is it all latex. Answer - yes and yes except the pillow top which is a filler. I can tell you they were dancing and could answer my questions truthfully. I did go to one place where she was honest and said I just don’t know and then asked me about beds and where I learned. All I can say is WOW and thank goodness we have the internet.

Hi Bad1,

As you know from your reading here … a mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the materials in it and If I was paying $2239 each for two twin mattresses I would certainly want to know the details of every layer of the mattress so I could make some meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that used similar materials and construction. Without this it’s just not possible to know the quality or value of what you are buying and you would be making a completely blind purchase.

I’m not clear what the “mattress only” price is for these but either way it’s just as important to make sure that you know the details of every layer of the mattress before you make any purchase so once again you can make more meaningful comparisons.

It would scare me too to pay that kind of money for a mattress without knowing what was in it so I could have a reasonable sense of what any weak links may be and how durable it is likely to be.

As for the lack of knowledge at many if not most stores … it’s probably true that you are more knowledgeable and qualified to sell mattresses than the majority of the people in the mainstream stores that actually do sell them :slight_smile:

It’s somewhat of sad commentary on the state of large parts of the industry unfortunately … but at least you are planning to visit some of the “better” parts.

Phoenix

Mattress only price was just that. Was the mattress without box spring or any kind of base. They showed a price of 2462.19 for the king, not sure what the price was for 2 twin xl. I’d assume it would be half for each, but then you can guess what most of us think about assuming :). Anyways, again I’d like to thank you for your knowlege you share and off to more bed searching. My wife could barely move by the time we came home last night after searching for beds. I’m going to go myself feeling pretty confident I know what I want and kind of know what she wants. Then when I find something I’ll take her with me. This is alot of work searching for a bed… I guess if you spend thousand of $$$$$$, it’s like car shopping… Beside I think everyone would like to have a nice comfortable bed if money permitted.

Hi Bad1,

Yes … in most cases the price for a King is a fair bit more than the price for two twin XL’s.

With the current state of the industry it can certainly be more difficult than it “should” be but if you focus on the better retailers and manufacturers then it can “bypass” much of the frustration and confusion that goes with mattress shopping and make things a little easier.

Since a mattress is arguably one of the most important purchases we make and it’s effect on our overall well being (hidden or otherwise) will hopefully last for over a decade … its well worth a little more time and effort to make sure that we make the best possible choices no matter what the budget level IMO.

Phoenix

So I just wanted to let everyone know I was finally able to get my wife out today and we decided on the Pure Latex Bliss - Beautiful bed (2 twin XL’s). As for the adjustable bases we decided on the L&P S-Cape designer series for the look along with the matching head board in Chocolate. 4 Latex pillows, etc, etc. and a sizeable invoice to boot :ohmy: … I purchased from Paul @ Cost + Mattresses in La Verne CA. Actually going back tomorrow to do all the paper work. I’ll write up a seperate thread on my expierence with Cost+, but I would definately recommend them to anyone in So. Cal. looking for a mattress. A big thank you to Phoenix and the work that is done here. :woohoo:

Hi Bad1,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s good to see that you were able to deal with one of the better retailers on the list and made some good quality choices. I think Paul is one of the “good guys” and very knowledgeable and helpful.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you have the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Yes, thank you. This guy really is an amazing business owner. Very friendly, filled with knowlege not pushy and I can keep going, but I want to wait until I get the mattress and go thru the entire buying process before I write my completed review.