Where do you buy your latex foam mattresses?

Hi, I’m about to drop probably around $1000 building a new mattress and I was wondering where you guys think the best (material, return policy, certification, price) place to buy is? I’m looking at “sleeponlatex” as their return policy is good, prices are reasonable and they are certified through and through.

Are there any other places I should look to shop?

Thanks!

Hi someguy123.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on embarking on your DIY journey. This can be a fun and rewarding experience when approached with a spirit of adventure, and you will be so happy with the outcome that is tailored exactly to your needs.

In addition to Sleep on Latex, you may be interested in looking at components from Arizona Premium Mattress and DIY natural bedding.

Let me know if you have more questions here!
NikkiTMU

Hey NikkuTMU, I looked at those sites as well but they were very expensive. DIYNaturalBedding was $1900 out the door. Arizona was $1300 for what I wanted. The same thing from Sleep On Latex was about $950 out the door.

Why is there such a large price variation between stores?

I’m wondering, what’s wrong with the prices? You are very optimistic about your $1000. Hope I’m mistaken but…

I’m wondering why there are such large price differences for what I think is the same product. I don’t want to be find out I bought a sub-standard mattress.

Hi someguy123.

A number of factors are considered when it comes to pricing, and often involves their business model, exchange/return policies, etc.

To take some wise words from Phoenix…

While the price is certainly an important factor there are many other variables which are part of the “value” of a mattress purchase and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase.

Generally, I’d caution against basing your decision on the price alone as there are far too many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person and may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences. This is not a case of “all else being equal” unless a mattress uses exactly the same components, materials and design and has the same return/exchange policies and customer service and after purchase support. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because of the many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”.

Differences you may consider are… natural or organic materials vs synthetic, the ability to exchange layers or make changes after purchase, the type of cover and quilting you prefer and I would also keep in mind that the latex used in each model may be a combination of either Talalay or Dunlop in organic, natural, blended, or synthetic, each having a different price and most likely sourced from different suppliers. It is important that you look closely to all those variables and decide what is most important to you. As I often advise, you may wish to place a phone call directly to each one of your finalists with your concerns and specific desires and ask for their thoughts on the particular mattress you are considering from them. They will know more about their mattresses and how they respond to a wider group of individuals than anyone else.

Again … there is no “formula” that can determine “value” vs “price” down to the last detail or replace “best judgment” because there will always be some unknowns remaining in any mattress purchase that can only be answered by your own longer-term personal experience. There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU