Where to buy foam

Local or online? I’m in Oroville California, north of Sacramento. Surplus City carries medium foam that appears to be inexpensive. A full mattress, 54x76" , cost $38 for 2" to $87 for 6". I could not figure out if any of the online retailers wee good. Online fabric store seemed twice the cost of local. I was confused by mattress by mail and other sites.

Not sure if medium foam is what I want. Uses are a bed and sofa, both made from used pallets.

IKEA offers latex mattress for what appears to be cheap.

Please help me focus on where to research.

Hi David,

I’m trying to help Phoenix out here, so we’ll see if I cover the things he normally does :wink:

If you’ve not already done so, the first place to start is here:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first

It discusses how to evaluate and select a mattress that’s best for you, including materials, quality, durability, PPP (posture, pressure relief, and preferences), as well as how to identify higher quality beds.

I’d also note that if your budget is $87 for a bed, there’s precious little that this forum will be able to help you with.

Hi David.gruenberg,

If you are looking to buy a new mattress then the best place to start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

If you are looking to just buy foam then you could use a local foam shop or some of the online sources here. Make sure you deal with a reputable dealer that is knowledgeable and transparent about what they sell.

Polyfoam comes in a very wide range of quality levels which are based on the density of the polyfoam. Higher density polyfoam is more durable than lower densities. The lowest quality foam may only last you for a month or two of regular use while high quality polyfoam can last for many years.

Phoenix

ADDED PS: I see that dn posted essentially the same thing while I was writing my post … thanks dn :slight_smile: