Where to find local mattress manufacturers in Chicago area

Could you give me the name and addresses of some of the “off brand” local manufacturers that you mention. I’m specifically looking for places in the northwest suburbs of Chicago if possible. Near to 60102 zip code (Algonquin, IL) would be fantastic.
Thank you

Hi Nana,

Some of the better options I’m aware of in and around the Chicago area are listed in post #2 and #4 here. They include one of the members of this site (Mygreenmattress / Quality sleep) which has among the best quality/value available and would likely be the first (and probably the last) place I would visit.

Phoenix

Thanks, so much for your quick reply. I didn’t see those other posts before. We just bought a Stearns and Foster bed. I never even thought to do research about this bed, because I’ve always been told that they are the best mattresses you can get. However, after only one month of sleeping on it, we already have “valleys and hills” on the top. I can’t even imagine what it would look like after a year or two. We need to return it fast. We have just a few more days for a refund.
Thanks again for your help. It’s greatly appreciated.

Hi Nana,

[quote] We just bought a Stearns and Foster bed. I never even thought to do research about this bed, because I’ve always been told that they are the best mattresses you can get. However, after only one month of sleeping on it, we already have “valleys and hills” on the top. I can’t even imagine what it would look like after a year or two. We need to return it fast. We have just a few more days for a refund.
Thanks again for your help. It’s greatly appreciated. [/quote]

The support layers in Stearns & Foster mattresses (whether they are innersprings or latex) are usually fine but like most mainstream mattresses the foams used in the comfort layers tend to be lower quality and can soften and break down much too quickly. There are many posts on the forum (and other online sites as well) about owners of S&F mattresses that have had softening issues in the 3 or 4 year mark or less and in many cases these are not covered by warranty because foam softening isn’t considered a “defect” unless it also has impressions that are deeper then the warranty exclusions (which doesn’t happen very often). Loss of comfort and support from foam softening isn’t covered by a warranty which is why it’s so important to know the quality/durability of all the layers of a mattress.

You are fortunate that you are able to get a refund and start over again because in many cases retailers only allow an exchange and most of their selection is mainstream mattresses that have similar issues (or don’t disclose any information about the quality of their materials at all).

Post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Good retailers and manufacturers will “educate you” more than “sell you” and tend to put your best interests above their own. They are a much better source of good quality and better value mattresses than the mainstream retailers or chain stores that sell mostly major brands.

Phoenix