Where to start in Sioux Falls, South Dakota?

Adjustable beds from the seller I used on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bettersleepforless/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Hi Quickstrike,

If I’m not mistaken you are looking for a king size (which would be two twin XL adjustable beds) and in this case it would be unlikely that you will find something under $1000 outside of some of the most basic models such as Pragmatic (see here for example) or the Primo Fleet which probably aren’t the best quality or most reliable choices.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: mattresscompanydirect.com/Primo-International-Adjustable-Bed-with-Wired-Remote_p_229.html

Phoenix

It’s $900 for the entry adjustable at BBD but that’s after discount and I’m not sure what brand. Are there better options in the $1500 range online?

Hi Quickstrike,

I’m not sure what size you are looking at (I’m assuming king size?) and I don’t keep a record of all the prices for adjustable beds that are available at the hundreds of retailers that sell them either locally or online but there is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at the prices that are listed on websites.

You would certainly have many more reasonable options available in a budget range of under $1500 than you would in a budget range of under $1000.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I can get a Reverie 5d for $1099. That and a BME for about 2K…still not sold on buying online though despite a huge savings.

Hi Quickstrike,

I can certainly understand the hesitancy and there are many others that share your feelings about purchasing online as well.

The biggest disadvantage of course is that you aren’t able to test the mattress in person before you purchase it. Online “simplified choice” mattresses with multiple firmness choices such as the BME will cover a larger part of the bell curve that will be suitable for more people than single firmness choices but you will generally find that any one of these mattresses will be the “best” match (in their budget range) for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet. While the only reliable way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual sleeping experience when you receive the mattress … for those where the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match (either too firm, too soft, or where you experience “symptoms” when you sleep on the mattress) then they all have a trial period with a great return policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom and then if your experience indicates that it wasn’t a suitable choice you can start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning/donating it.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

After speaking with Chad at BBD and lying on some more beds. We decided on the firmer version of the one we originally picked. We are going to upgrade to the adjustable base later. Pretty happy with the decision we made and can’t wait to get it next week. Thank you for all your help and all you do for this site.

Hi Quickstrike,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Just wanted to check in and say that i have been very pleased with my mattress from Beds by Design. (Liberty, split king) I used to wake up with tension headaches 3-4 times per week, and now I only get them about once every month or two.

The softide 8300 (ergomotion) base has been awesome as well.

I also wanted to bring to your attention to a new Sioux Falls mattress factory I just found out about:

From the videos on their website, they appear to use the same foams that my new mattress has.

Kind regards,
David

Hi dbergan,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you.

[quote]I also wanted to bring to your attention to a new Sioux Falls mattress factory I just found out about:

From the videos on their website, they appear to use the same foams that my new mattress has.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up … I wasn’t aware of them :slight_smile:

As you know they are a new start up and if the information on their web page is correct then their mattress contains 3" of latex so it would be different from your mattress which doesn’t contain any latex in the design. They are certainly using good quality materials and based on their description it doesn’t have any lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability of the mattress.

They are certainly intriguing and I’ll have to call and talk to them when time permits and then add them to the Sioux Falls list because even though they are an online company it appears you can test the mattress locally with an appointment. I’ll also add them to the simplified choice list once I’ve talked with them as well.

Thanks again.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Please let us know what you find. Juna’s white “latex” looks exactly like what BBD is calling synthetic latex. I mean it’s even perferated the same. And the website refers to it as “Juna latex”. In the video on this page he refers to it as foam and rattles off some familiar density specs. My guess is it comes from Carpenter.

Too bad I already have a bed. Looks like he started just weeks after I made my purchase, and I probably could have gotten the same foams for significantly less.

Kind regards,
David

Hi dbergan,

I’ll find out when I talk with them but if it’s the same material as they are using in the Beds by Design mattresses and it comes from Carpenter then it’s polyfoam not latex (synthetic or otherwise).

Phoenix

Exactly my point.

Kind regards,
David

Hi dbergan,

I talked with Chad and have confirmed that none of the materials in any of the Beds by Design mattresses are either synthetic or natural latex and they are versions of polyfoam. Some of the materials are high performance polyfoams that are certainly a very good quality and durable material and have many of the properties of latex but they are also less costly than “real” latex (synthetic or natural). It appears that we completely disagree about the importance of providing accurate and factual information and I’ve changed their description in the forum lists here and here to reflect the somewhat “difficult” conversation we had.

I also left a message with Juna Sleep and I will post more information about the materials they are using (and whether it uses “real” latex) once I’ve had the chance to talk with them. They were employed by BBD for a while so with that and their pricing it wouldn’t be surprising to me if they were also describing high performance polyfoam such as Avena as being some type of latex as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix wrote: Hi Quickstrike,

I can certainly understand the hesitancy and there are many others that share your feelings about purchasing online as well.

The biggest disadvantage, of course, is that you aren’t able to test the mattress in person before you purchase it. Online “simplified choice” mattresses with multiple firmness choices such as the BME will cover a larger part of the bell curve that will be suitable for more people than single firmness choices but you will generally find that any one of these mattresses will be the “best” match (in their budget range) for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet. While the only reliable way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual sleeping experience when you receive the mattress … for those where the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match (either too firm, too soft, or where you experience “symptoms” when you sleep on the mattress) then they all have a trial period with a great return policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom and then if your experience indicates that it wasn’t a suitable choice you can start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning/donating it.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix
Note: This is a restored post after mistakenly being deleted in the process of updating linking.

Hi Everyone! My first post. My wife and I bought 2 mattresses at Juna Sleep Systems. My wife broke her back in a fall several years ago and needs a really firm mattress. We bought a top-of-the-line Presidential Series mattress and requested that they construct it quite firm. No such luck. One night on the bed, no sleep for her, and the adjustable base was acting weird. We went in and complained the next day and the “owner, (Brian I think he said?)” promised to upgrade our base and firm up the mattress. Fast service by techs at our home but they did not see the note about the firmness part. They did have a firmer foam so they put it on. In the process, we found one layer had been ripped and an attempt was made by someone to “glue” it together in the original assembly to no avail. So a promise to replace it by the tech, Paul. Paul and Luke were great. But firmness was inadequate for my wife’s back again and she went in to report it. She talked to “Brian (?)” again and he berated, belittled, and embarrassed her to the point of speechlessness and tears. I will never let her go into the store alone again. If he were working at The Home Depot where I was a Department Supervisor for 15 years, he would have been fired on the spot. For an “owner” of a service business to talk down and humiliate a customer after we spent so much money there in the first place is unconscionable and completely Un-Christian, as the store management claims to be Christian. We are fed up and ready to request a return and complete refund. After searching on the internet, it turns out that the “owner Brian” may really be Justin Waggoneer. I called after my wife’s “episode” and talked to Nate Rons, another partner, and he was absolutely helpful and proposed several changes to make her bed much firmer. But I still scheduled an appointment to talk to Justin Waggoneer and Nate Rons, on Monday morning, 11:00, 29 November. Much to talk over and clarify! By the way, my Choice Series bed, the lower option and lesser expensive mattress, is firmer than my wife’s Presidential bed, even with the firmness request first and the upgrade given second. Go figure. Thank you. I hope this helps someone since the store only posts 5 star reviews on their website.

Hi ProfZZ.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your wife’s fall and broken back several years ago and thanks for sharing your experience with Juna Sleep Systems.

[quote] She talked to “Brian (?)” again and he berated, belittled, and embarrassed her to the point of speechlessness and tears. I will never let her go into the store alone again. If he were working at The Home Depot where I was a Department Supervisor for 15 years, he would have been fired on the spot. For an “owner” of a service business to talk down and humiliate a customer after we spent so much money there in the first place is unconscionable and completely Un-Christian, as the store management claims to be Christian.
[/quote]
Your wife’s experience with Brian is disheartening and just the opposite of what they say on their site about customer service and their Juna Comfort Commitment. It makes one wonder if their commitment is just another tactic and a way to attract customers and make a sale. Hopefully, this is a one-off occurrence, and your visit tomorrow, Nov. 29 at the Sioux Falls shop will be positive and they’ll be able to find a good solution to bring the bed to the level of firmness your wife needs. (BTW to reveal if Brian is one and the same person as the company owner you can see the picture of the founder Justine Waggoner on their story page. )

Unless the reviews are from a verified unbiased third party, I’d take with a grain of salt most of the reviews on the company’s own website as they are easy to be manipulated and any “negative” reviews oftentimes get purged before long. Positive reviews in many cases are used as a marketing tool and a way to gain consumers’ trust. You can verify this by attempting to leave a review describing your wife’s experience and see if it gets published.

I’d be curious to learn about your store visit tomorrow.
Phoenix

I couldn’t wait until Monday and went in on Saturday instead. Good for me, it turns out that Justin was the one my wife talked to and he was scheduled to be out of the office on Monday (29 Dec.). It was not a positive experience. I confronted him and he denied everything and put the blame on my wife. The behavior he described is not at all the way my wife acts so I am very dubious of his statements. He also, by my interpretation, likes to “cut bait and run” whenever he thinks he cannot deal with a customer. My wife relayed a comment he made to her that he had only had 17 customers that he couldn’t satisfy and she was going to be Number 18. I asked him directly about that and he denied it. I told him my wife would not be Number 18 - I would! I have a belief in honor, courage and commitment and our honor has been challenged.
The techs are coming sometime this afternoon - 30 November, between 15:00 and 17:00 - to do a rebuild on the mattress but we do not care for the way Justin reacted to us or to our concerns about the mattress. My wife would not have come home crying from a civilized, customer-oriented conversation. She related to me that Justin had told her that she didn’t have “the guts” or “the stomach” to try the bed for the 14 day time limit their “rules” state. Justin denied this. He said that the “rules” state that she has to wait 14 days before requesting any adjustments. My wife violated that rule but they came out to service the mattress anyway. I told Justin that rules are guidelines to help customers and not control customers. She couldn’t sleep on the bed as it is and that the 14 day requirement should not be a sentence to suffer. The customer’s needs should come first. I thanked him for ordering the adjustment anyway and I was grateful that the techs would come out again so soon to “fix” the mattress. We will wait to see what they do and how the rebuild will correct its softness.
Additionally, I checked out the “Terms” tab at the bottom of their web page and the language there seems to totally contradict the claims they make, especially their “Juna Promise”. In particular, one item in their Terms of Service is quite disturbing. It states: “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.” I’m sure that they would argue that this statement applies to a customer’s use of their website but it reveals much about their attitudes beneath the surface. They will do whatever they want to do. Period.
Now we have been treated quite well by all the other people in their organization. They have been very customer centered and professional. I just don’t trust Justin and am not sure we will keep our mattresses after the trial period. My wife certainly does not want their products in our home, regardless. The treatment she received from Justin has betrayed her trust and is causing her great distress (and me, too). No matter what happens, our trust in what any company promises has been eroded seriously. We don’t know what or who to believe anymore.

Hi ProfZZ,

Thank you for your update and details. I totally understand your frustration but it’s good to hear that the other staff were helpful and courteous. Sometimes even with the best intentions things get astray and especially in a “he said, she said” situation things can spin out of control.

Generally, with a new mattress, it is possible for certain people to experience some discomfort and minor pains and get a false initial “feel” that can diminish as the sleeper adjusts to the mattress and the mattress to the sleeper. So, it’s not unusual for some mattress companies to have a 14 to 30 days adjustment period policy before honoring customer requests for changes or returns. It can sometimes take a few weeks of discomfort to produce comfort with an initial adjustment period even if alignment is “theoretically perfect” … the opposite can also be true where a few weeks of comfort can sometimes lead to discomfort as “time” and “degree” are part of the process.

Typically the break-in and adjustment period for a new mattress or sleeping system is more connected with the mattress losing some of the “false firmness” and the cover stretching and loosening a little and the materials settle and the body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here )

In your case, Juna Presidential mattress is softer from the get-go, and your wife “needs a really firm mattress” due to her broken back so an adjustment period would not make the mattress firmer which is probably why they decided to make an exception from the general rule. Too bad that it came with hard feelings and caused you both much distress.:frowning:

Phoenix