Which 2017 Serta to support latex topper

Hello Phoenix, My 2013 icomfort insight is rutted up, and is being replaced with a new Serta under warranty. i would like to add a latex topper to it for longevity and comfort. The Insight is now called the foresight, and appears to have another comfort layer added.
The perfect sleeper Molenda Luxe firm looks closer to what was called the insight. Does this appear to be the case to you? Which model would be best to add a 2" latex topper to? We liked the comfort level of a Pure Talalay Bliss Nature we tried, would you suggest a medium talalay to achieve a similar comfort level?
Thanks for your thoughtful insight.

Hi Dsil,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry your Serta mattress has to be replaced.

While adding a latex topper will offer some additional comfort, mattresses in this Serta line tend to use lower quality and less durable materials, and you’ll still have a shorter comfort life with your replacement mattress. The topper can spare some of the mechanical stress from the upper layers of your mattress, but your mattress will unfortunately eventually fail as your other mattress did.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers on the forum and elsewhere carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market), and Serta in particular isn’t a brand that I monitor too closely, as they, like other major brands such as Simmons and Sealy all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than their smaller competitors and will tend to soften or break down prematurely.

But for adding a topper, and as this is a warranty replacement where you don’t have too much of a choice, I would recommend to choose a product that has the firmest foams and least overall amount of foam in order to try and get the maximum life out of your replacement mattress as possible. The Moelnda Luxe Firm doesn’t have too much foam in it (6" polyfoam core, 1" poly foam and 2" memory foam), so this might be a good candidate for you.

You’re comparing disparate materials so you really won’t be able to achieve a feel that is similar to the Nature by placing a latex topper atop a memory foam mattress. I can tell you that the top 2" of Talalay in the Nature is 21 ILD, so you can try for something in that range for your topper. Realize that all of the layers of the mattress work together, and underneath the top latex layer on the Nature is another 2" of 28 ILD Talalay and then there is a 6" 36 ILD Talalay core. This material will have a different level of comfort and support than the memory foam and polyfoam in the Serta mattress you’re getting for your warranty exchange. As the memory foam on top of the Serta will have a lower ILD than the second layer in the Nature mattress, you may wish to try a mid-20s ILD Talalay topper.

I know it’s not the same thing, but hopefully using the latex topper as you mentioned, combined with a firmer warranty replacement mattress, will extend the useable life of this replacement mattress for you and create a more comfortable sleeping environment.

I’ll be interested in learning about what you decide to do and how it feels if you decide to use a topper combination.

Phoenix

Thanks for your fast and knowledgeable response.
Would a high count firm coil spring mattress with minimal cushion be a better choice? Or is a turd just a turd?

Hi Dsil,

You’re most welcome.

Oh, you just gave me quite a chuckle there. :lol: :lol:

Replacing a lower density polyfoam core with an innerspring unit can increase durability. The spring unit is rarely the weak link within a mattress, as opposed to low density polyfoam, which can be one of those weak links. When your only option is to chose items using lower density foams, I recommend to keep those foams to a minimum and have them be of a higher IFD/ILD (firmer foams).

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!
Well… We pulled the trigger on the Serta Perfect Sleeper Palmerston extra firm.
1099, 15 gauge, pocketed coils (king)
Firmest mattress with the Least amount of foam layers available in the store.
Now, which topper?
I was thinking 2" soft Dunlop 20 idl? That would give us the option to add another softer latex topper if needed without ending up with too much on top.
We are both side sleepers 5’6"-5’9" 165-180 lbs, and like a supportive medium soft firmness in a mattress
Does this sound like a safe place to start?
WWPD?

I have attached a pic of the layer makeup. They don’t specify thickness, which I assume is because they are thin layers.
Thanks again!!

Hi Dsil,

Well, congratulations on getting your warranty exchange mattress chosen. I think you’re making the best out of your options with a choice like you did.

Regarding the topper, I can only provide guidelines, as just like a mattress there are too many individual variables involved for me to be able to pick out a mattress topper that might be comfortable for you.

I would start (if you haven’t already) with the topper thread here, and the topper selection guidelines in post #8 here. Some basics from that post:

If the mattress needs just a “touch to a little” extra softness or a softer “surface feel” … then a 1" topper is usually enough.

If you need a little to a fair bit of extra softness and pressure relief … then a 2" topper would be in the average range.

If you need a fair bit to a lot of extra softness then a 3" topper would probably be the best choice.

Heavier weights generally do better with firmer and thicker toppers.

Lighter weights generally do best with softer and thinner toppers.

In general … 19 - 24 ILD in latex would be considered to be in the soft range for “average” body types while very light body types may be OK with an ultra soft 14 ILD and heavier body types would probably do better with 28 ILD and above.

You mentioned you were considering 2" of a 20 ILD topper, which would be quite plush and provide in general a “moderate” amount of extra softness. As you stated that you like a “medium” feel, it may be that you would desire a bit of a higher ILD (maybe mid-20s) or a thicker layer, or perhaps both, Only your own careful personal testing will tell. While toppers aren’t normally returnable, mattresstopper.com (from site member Brooklyn Bedding) has recently started to offer Talalay toppers with a 30 day return policy. At the very least, they may be worth a phone call to see what advice they might have for your situation, which can often be the most helpful route when you’re not able to test an item with the topper on it in person.

I’ll be interested in learning about what you eventually decide to do, and if you have any other topper questions.

Phoenix

Well, we bought a 3" Dunlop topper in soft 20 idl to soften the rock hard mattress. It helped tremendously, but was still a bit too firm and causing back pain and stiffness. Our next option is to add another soft talalay topper which would put us on a step ladder to get in bed.
Or…
Yes! I did the unthinkable, and performed surgery on a brand new mattress.
I removed the 2 firm poly foam 1" top layers, left the 1/4"-1/2" layer of memory foam over the coils, and put the soft 3" Dunlop in its place. It was an easy job, being that nothing was glued together.
Tonight it will get the sleep test, and we can always add a 2" talalay if needed.

Hi Dsil,

Paging Dr. Dsil! :lol:

Mattress surgery seems to be contagious here on the forum. You did remove the appropriate layers that are the lower quality within the mattress. And as you stated, over time you can always add a Talalay topper above this and you’ll have a very high quality home-made component-style mattress.

I’ll be interested in learning about you progress on this.

Phoenix