Which Latex? Component review help needed!

I had been finding it difficult to gather details and information about mattresses. We wanted to replace our Sterns and Foster pocket coil/memory pillow top that we found hot and formed indents quickly. We had returned to the same national chain to gather information on adjustable beds and mattresses. The advertised clearance “sale” was actually returned beds. Not interested.

Then I found this site. Thankyou! I have read through your information and advise on purchasing a mattress. I have read about Latex and the types. Pros/Cons etc. It has helped us narrow our choices down.

I do have an allergy to wool where I wouldnt wear a wool sweater but with a quality mattress bpad I believe wool would not be a problem in the bed.

In Ontario, Canada here I am now looking at:

The Dormio Majesty (Organic Dunlop Latex with wool and 100% cotton cover) along with a 2" Organic Dunlop Latex topper and a 2" wool topper in a cotton cover. Feels awesome and flexible in construction that my wife can be 4" firm and 4" soft ( just over 20 BMI) and I 4" firm with 4" medium with a much higher BMI. With delivery and taxes between 6-7 K for a King or 2 Twin XL. Thinking of going adjustable. Beautiful mattress and I found this supplier through your membership area. “Steve” at the store was extremely helpful/patient and helped to try the beds out.

One of your other members is MFC. I am interested in the Nature’s Embrace “Presto” adjustable Latex bed. 4’ firm core, 2" Medium and 2" soft wrapped in a quilted wool/100% cotton cover. Currently it comes with an extra 2" slab firm, pillows, free delivery and no taxes. Even adding a 2" soft topper and mattress cover it is less then 4K for the King and less then 5 for two twin XL.

I know this may be a hard question as both are members. Am I missing something? Both appear to use ORGANIC DUNLOP LATEX throughout. Are these beds not similar in quality, construction and components? I am 2-3k apart in pricing.

I am looking for an independant knowladgeble look at the components to help with the decision making.

On a side note, we ran Natures’s Embrace online and went to a GTA store that supposedly carried the line in their store. We wanted to possibly try the product before contact MFC.

On the phone I was told by the store attendant that they were the largest distributor of Latex mattresses. My wife and I walked around for 15 to 20 minutes in the store looking at beds and were not approached by anyone. We took off or coats, boots and tried some models out. Near the back of the store we heard snoring! The one female employee working today was sleeping in a floor model bed at the back of the show room!! Needless to say we left.

I look forward to any review or guidance you can enlighten me with. Thank you in advance.

Hi Kempster,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to learn about your poor experience with your visit to that retailer. It’s a shame stores can offer advertising in such a manner.

I’m glad the information here has been helpful to you. B)

Wool sensitivities tend to be contact issues, which generally are not an issue when quilted into the top of a mattress or within a topper pad. There are certainly some great benefits to using wool in a mattress quilting (including temperature regulation and as a natural fire barrier). There is more about wool allergies or sensitivities in post #2 here and in post #4 here .

The Majestic (I think that is what you meant?) from Dormio uses 100% NR GOLS certified Dunlop from Arpico. It can be split, as you said, for a different construction on the left and right. There is a 4" Dunlop core and then another 4" Dunlop piece on top of that, both which can be split and are available in plush, medium and firm. On top of that is a 1" piece of plush Dunlop. The cores are wrapped in organic wool and organic cotton. On top of this is a 3" pillowtop of Dunlop and wool, and then there is a second pillowtop of organic wool. The cotton and wool is all GOTS certified.

The MFC Presto uses 100% NR GOLS certified Dunlop latex. It uses a 4" firm 40 ILD Dunlop core, on top of which is a 2" medium 30 ILD Dunlop layer, and then there is a 2" Dunlop soft 20 ILD layer. The covering is GOTS certified wool quilted to an organic cotton cover and it is removable to the top two layers can be rearranged. There is currently a special for a free extra 2" Dunlop firm layer.

Both mattresses use good quality and durable componentry. There is a bit more material and flexibility of layering in the Dormio product, and more “finishing” with the covering of the inner cores and the separate toppers. As you mentioned, both Dormio and MFC are members here, which means that I think highly of them both, and you’re really choosing between “good” and “good”.

While price is certainly important of course, the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Well, I don’t know if that’s an endorsement for how comfortable the mattresses in that store are, or a poor reflection upon the sales associate. Or a bit of both! :stuck_out_tongue: I’d like to say this is the first time someone has commented about finding a salesperson sleeping in a mattress showroom. But it isn’t. That’s too bad you took the time to visit and then weren’t able to get the help you needed.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Phoenix

Pheonix thanks for your time and feedback.

Like I mentioned the Dormio Majestic was a beautiful bed and for me it felt supportive/firm and soft at the same time it was like a “laying on a cloud”. We were close to the purchase and “steve” was very helpful in their store in Vaughan Ontario, Canada.

In the end we reviewed all the components of both Dormio and Natures Embrace Presto. Mario from MFC was very accommodating both in flexibility in our order and quick with responses. We are a little nervous ordering online without trying it out and without the trial period however some of the “value” we considered swayed our decision. With the multiple layers land ability to adjust firmness I feel the trial period is a little over rated.

We chose Natures Embrace Presto as described by you in your post. With the additional promotion of the extra firm layer we were able to make that a plush layer, pay an upgrade for 3" instead of 2" and wrap it into an upgraded topper cover of pure virgin quilty wool, wrapped around 3" Organic Dunlop Latex in a 100% organic cotton GOT cover and a quilted wool organic cotton mattress cover. We also decided to go with two Twin XL which will allow me to go Firm MED MED (stomach sleeper with higher BMI) and my wife Firm SOFT SOFT (side sleeper).

We me order the second wool topper in attempts to get a similar feel to Dormio. Any suggestions or min requireents we should be looking at for a wool topper?

We also will have to purchase a split king adjustable bed. Prices seem to range from 1100.00 to 7000.00 any feedback on what to look for in the adjustable frame? ie min motor size, must have features or min weight capacity?

This site and the time you put into has helped many of us see the light and empower us to educate ourselves in pursuit of our restful slumber. I have recommended your site to at least 5 other families in a short period of time.

I know MFC and DORMIO are both “friends/members” of the site. Both were helpful to deal with. Dormio appeared to have a great product and after our Natures Embrace from MFC arrives we will be able to comment on that too.

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Kempster,

Thanks for taking the time to provide more feedback on your store visits and decision-making process. I’m glad that Steve at Dormio was helpful to you during your visit.

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity and many are “comfortable” with little or no exchange period, especially when able to try something, or something similar, in person. It’s all part of one’s personal value equation that I frequently mention. And congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

There is more information about wool toppers, the change they can make to a mattress, and some good sources of which I am aware, in post #8 here. As you already have a good reference point, this can be assistive when you speak with other wool topper providers and try to approximate what you sampled earlier.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them. I would also give some careful consideration to the type of features that you may find useful over a longer period of time because some of the features they offer may seem very “enticing” when you are shopping but some people may find that they don’t use them as much as they thought they would once the novelty has worn off. There are also some comments about extended warranties for adjustable beds in this topic that may be helpful.

Weight ratings vary by manufacturer. Some will rate their motors, others will give a total lift capacity, some will provide a total load limit. With any specific weight capacity questions, I would contact the manufacturer directly or a knowledgeable retailer.

Thank you very much for the kind words, and spreading the word!

I appreciate your feedback on both companies and the products you tested, and I’m looking forward to learning about your future decision on a power foundation and your opinion on your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix