which layering for latex mattress seems better?

My husband and I have talked to both Flexus and Sleepez. We need the king size mattress split because I have sore hips and I need a softer top. My husband likes a firmer mattress. Sleepez recommended for me 2 talalay layers,soft and medium then firm dunlop and extra firm dunlop. For my husband 2 layers of talalay both medium then firm and extra firm dunlop.
Flexus recommended for me soft talalay then 2 medium dunlop and 1 firm dunlop. For my husband soft talalay then medium dunlop then 2 layers of firm dunlop.

These are so different! I like the fact that sleepez has 2 layers of talalay that can be switched if need be for the top layer. We also liked that Flexus used natural foam in all their layers,but will only use one layer of talalay. Any recommendations or suggestions on how to decide.

Hi Gardener1,

As you know, SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort are both members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. Both of them also have more options available to customize the mattress after a purchase by rearranging layers or exchanging a layer because the bottom 6" of the mattress includes two 3" layers rather than a single 6" layer (see post #2 here). Forum searches on SleepEZ and on Flexus (you can just click the links) will bring up many more comments and feedback about both of them as well. Both of these companies use high quality materials (as you ae aware) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of their mattresses relative to any weight/BMI range and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a mattress from either of them.

While the actual layers between the products are certainly different, the overall “end game” they’re attempting to accomplish is quite similar - firmer for your husband and softer for you, with progressively firmer layerings as you move toward the base layers of the mattress. There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate/term/label their mattress layers very differently than others so a mattress layer that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated differently by another manufacturer.

I’ve mentioned it previously, but when you can’t test a mattress in person, then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. The people at SleepEZ and Flexus are very competent in this area and have assisted thousands of customers through the years. They’re going to give you their best suggestion based upon their offerings to accomplish your stated goals.

If it is part of your PPP that the SleepEZ latex be 100% NR, then the SleepEZ Organic Select line gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay layers and has an organic cotton cover quilted with organic wool.

Latex (either Dunlop or Talalay) that is made from natural rubber (from a tree) and doesn’t contain any synthetic latex in the formulation is generally referred to as 100% natural latex although there are also some other “ingredients” that are used in the formulation to make it possible to turn the liquid rubber into a foamed latex layer (see post #18 here).

If you’re interested, there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice because any type or blend of latex is a good quality and durable material relative to other types of foam such as memory foam or polyfoam. The best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer in general terms would be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience. All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will also have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing).

The links and information above should be helpful to you as a start.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists (Like the SLeepEZ and Flexus models you listed in your earlier post) that are all choices between “good and good” and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight/BMI range (they don’t) and you have talked with each of them (you might want to do some more of this) there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a reasonable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on any local testing you have done, your more detailed conversations with each of the online options you are considering, your personal preferences, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress (or individual layers in some cases) and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Another good thing is that both of the companies you are considering have good exchange/return options, and they can help assist you through that process should it become necessary.

I look forward to learning about your decision. You’re certainly considering two mattresses that use quality componentry and seeking advice from quality manufacturers.

Phoenix