Which Tempurpedic?

I wrote a couple of weeks ago and was vacillating between various latex and latex/hybrids. I felt like Goldilocks; they were either too soft, too bouncy, too hard, etc. After lying on probably every bed in NYC and DESPITE all the negatives (heat/smell/toxins), I have decided memory foam is the right choice for me and I prefer to go with a “brand name” even though it carries a higher price tag so am trying to decide among the Tempurpedics. I am 5’8", 120 lbs, mostly back sleeper tho occasionally side and am ALWAYS hot at night. I have serious low back, shoulder, and neck pain. I love the “sinking in” feeling I get with their Cloud Luxe but am concerned it won’t give me enough support–and I’ll be running the A/C year round!
I also like their Cloud Luxe Breeze (IF the salesperson was telling the truth–they seem to do a lot of bait switching–one minute I’m told it’s the CLB, the next it’s a Rhapsody Breeze) and thought it was more supportive, cooler, but a bit too firm when on my side. Even when I call Tempurpedic directly, I get different stories from different salespeople about which mattress line is more supportive/conforming/etc.
Any insight into their products or actual experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hi DrDonna,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use any kind of formula to choose a mattress. The most effective approach would be to use the testing guidelines in the tutorial post to choose the mattress that was the best match in terms of PPP and then make sure that you know the specifics of all the layers (the thickness and foam densities) so you can make sure that the mattress uses good quality durable materials and doesn’t have any obvious weak links. With your lower weight 4 lb memory foam would tend to be a durable material.

Memory foam and gel memory foam will also tend to be warmer than other foam types depending on the combination of factors that are involved in sleeping temperature (see post #2 here).

The name of the mattress will be on the law tag if you are ever in doubt about which mattress you are testing.

Again this is fairly typical because so much of how a mattress feels and performs is subjective, each person will have their own opinions, and there really isn’t a formula that someone can use that is more effective than your own personal testing and experience.

More than anything I would use careful testing and “trust your body” to tell you which mattress is best for you in terms of PPP and then use the specs to make sure there are no weak links and make more meaningful comparisons with any other mattresses you are considering.

Phoenix

Well for what it’s worth after owning a Tempur-Pedic for a little over a year now if I could go back in time to purchase day and know what I know now, I would 1) buy one step firmer than the one I liked and demoed for mere minutes in the showroom because they dramatically soften over the night as your body warms them and 2) buy a gas mask for the initial off-gassing, it’s horrendous, lol! :lol:

So if you liked the Luxe, go with the Supreme, and if you like the Supreme, go with the Select… “IMO” of course. Right now I’m thinking about dropping my Supreme for a Select because although initially the Supreme feels better to me laying on it in the showroom for a few minutes, by morning it just feels too soft and unsupportive… I am however going to try to insulate my body heat from it a little with a mattress pad to see if that helps. If not, I’m going to consider getting a Select. I really do like the feel and comfort of Tempur-Pedic, just don’t like the inconsistency of the firmness due to its temperature sensitivity.

OK, down to the finals…

And, by the way, I am SO glad I found this webite–you provide a great service, with a really amazing compilation of facts.

I have now spent time on both the Cloud Luxe Breeze and the Cloud Supreme Breeze. The problem is that although I sleep mostly on my back, I start out on my side. I find the CLB much more comfortable on my side (due to being kind of bony with little padding of my own AND having had a rotator cuff repair), but am not sure if the CLB feels as “supportive” to my thoracic spine while on my back.

Also, as RSBA points out below, I have no way of knowing how much softer the mattresses will be over the course of a night OR become over time–will the CSB ultimately be soft enough on my side yet give better back support or will the CLB be TOO soft? I am starting to feel a lot like Goldilocks trying to figure out which is “just right”…

AND I always keep my bedroom pretty cold (mid-60s) at night…how much will room temperature be a factor?

I think I will order my mattress online directly from Tempurpedic. That way, I can try one of the two out for 30 days and exchange for the other if I don’t like it.

The question is: which one do I try FIRST, since I can only change once?

PLEASE HELP ME!! I desperately need to make a decision and get my new mattress. My back is killing me!

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Hi DrDonna,

You are asking some questions that are difficult to “quantify” because each person’s perceptions and experience can be quite different but they can be answered in more general terms.

If the mattresses you are testing have already broken in then they will be similar to how a new mattress will feel after it has broken in as well. A new mattress will be noticeably firmer at first for most people. I would check with the retailer to make sure that the floor models aren’t new and have broken in so you would have a good reference point for how the mattress would feel in the longer term. There really isn’t any way of knowing which would be the most suitable choice that is more reliable than your own careful and objective testing and personal experience (and in the case of memory foam I would make sure you have tested it for longer than the “normal” 15 minutes that would be usual for other types of foam that are not temperature sensitive. If you are in doubt or uncertain or more sensitive to smaller differences in a mattress then it can be a good idea to make sure that there is a good return policy as well just in case. If two options seem to be “equally” suitable then I would tend to go with the firmer one.

This would make most memory foam noticeably firmer than higher bedroom temperatures.

If you are committed to Tempurpedic then this would be a good idea. Some of your other options that approximate the Tempurpedic line or use them as reference points have longer trial periods with no cost returns and may also be worth considering but if you are more comfortable with the Tempurpedic name then at least a good exchange or return policy can lower the risk of making a choice that is less than ideal for your needs and preferences and may be an important part of your personal value equation. Their trial period is up to 90 days and also includes the option for a return (less shipping costs) so you can use your experience on one to decide on whether to exchange it (if you are confident that the other one would be a good match) or return it.

This would depend on the results of your testing and your own “best judgement” but if it was me and your two options appeared to be close to “equal” I would tend towards the firmer choice.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Again many thanks for all your help and your quick responses.

I am going to make up my mind and order tomorrow, so just a few more last minute questions if you don’t mind:

The only differences other than my subjective “feel” that I can find between these two mattresses is the thickness of the extra soft memory foam top “comfort” layer (thicker in the luxe, which obviously gives it a softer feel) AND the density of what they call their “support” layer (the next layer down). The luxe uses 5.3 lbs and the supreme 7 lbs. From what I have learned here on your site, these are BOTH high density. So is there really any difference?

And–just out of curiosity–you say you would choose the firmer of the two options if they are neck-in-neck. Just wondering why?

I will report back a month after delivery–and hopefully lots of great sleep!

Donna

PS i promise to tell all my colleagues and patients about this site–I am a physician specializing in pain management and until now didn’t really appreciate how important the right mattress can be. Thank you again.

Hi DrDonna,

While subjective “feel” is a preference … alignment and pressure relief are “needs” and can be tested more objectively so I would make sure that you have done some careful and objective testing on each mattress for alignment and pressure relief using the testing guidelines which will contribute much more to your long term sleep quality than the more subjective “feel” of a mattress.

Tempurpedic’s 7 lb memory foam is softer than their 5.3 lb memory foam (but not as soft as the 4 lb memory foam) and also more conforming so the softness of the Luxe comes partly from thicker memory foam layers and also because the second layer is softer. Its higher density also means it would likely have a higher compression modulus (gets firmer faster than lower density memory foam) so it would be a bit more supportive. They are roughly equivalent in terms of durability (past 6 lb density or so the greater durability that goes with higher density memory foam is not a significant factor).

This is because support/alignment is generally the most important of the two basic needs (alignment and pressure relief) and because you can always fine tune a mattress that is too firm and make it softer by adding a mattress pad or topper but you can’t effectively make a mattress that is too soft any firmer without removing the layers that are too soft or thick and replacing them with thinner or firmer layers. It’s also a good idea because most foam mattresses will become softer over time rather than firmer so if you are “on the edge” of a mattress that is too soft (either because the support layers are too soft or the comfort layers are too thick and soft) because in this case even relatively amounts of foam softening can lead to crossing the threshold where a mattress that was “just barely” in your range for PPP will no longer provide the comfort or support that you need. In your case it’s not quite as critical because you would be exchanging the mattress if you chose one that was too soft rather than trying to make it firmer but it’s usually a less “risky” guideline to follow over the short term (because of the initial break in period where foam softening is a little more rapid) and longer term (where the foam continues to soften at a slower rate) assuming that both mattresses are suitable for you in terms of PPP. There is more about this in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive whichever one you end up choosing and have had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

I (and many others) believe a mattress can be one of the most important purchases we make because as you know the quality of sleep is one of the most important parts of recovery, healing, and overall well being … but the “art and science” of mattress construction and matching a person to a mattress can also be much more complex than most people suspect. This is especially true with more challenging circumstances where there are additional complicating factors such as pain management or other medical or physiological issues or sensitivities which can make the choice of a suitable mattress more difficult (but more important as well).

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well I know the Luxe gives me instant back pain even before it warms up, way too soft and sinky for me! I would go with the firmer Supreme because mine is super duper soft mush by morning! And I can’t wait to hear your impressions once you get the bed home. Good luck with the horrendous off gassing phase! :lol:

RSBA

Thanks for the advice. Am going to order from Tempurpedic in the morning. I AM worried about the smell…could even smell the mattresses in the store that have been there awhile!

By the way, it doesn’t sound like you are very happy with the Supreme but oddly enough don’t want to give up on the memory foam idea?
What is it that you DO like about it?

Will let you know how it works out…

I own a TempurPedic Cloud Luxe, and love it. I also noticed that you more than likely already ordered your bed. I was going to let you know, yes the off gassing is very strong at the beginning, but walk on the mattress when you get it set up. Get the ceiling fan going and walk and crawl as much as you can to open the cells. Once all cells are open the smell goes away.

Good Luck with the TempuPedic experience.

What I like about it is the unmatched pressure point relief and don’t get me wrong, it’s still one of the top few most comfortable mattresses I’ve ever laid on no matter the brand or type. In fact, when I bought it I spent two weeks prior going around from store to store and kept going back to the Cloud Supreme no matter what I laid on. I also like the slow response feeling and motion isolation. Also, I’ve been doing some back strengthening exercises, stopped using a back brace while doing anything laborious and haven’t been waking up with lower back pain anymore. For now, I’m going to stick with my Supreme and see if my back continues to not be bothered by the bed by morning… So the main things I like about it are…

1. Unmatched pressure point relief
  2. Most comfortable
  3. It’s quiet, best motion isolation
  4. Slower response time than a regular mattress feels luxurious to me (even over other memory foam brands I’ve tried)

Things I hate most…

1. Off gassing is downright horrendous and really lasts a year before it totally vanishes
  2. Inconsistent feel with temperature
  3. High pricetag, but their customer services does seem very good

Well, here it is: the Tempurpedic verdict exactly one month from delivery.

I ended up ordering my Cloud Lux Breeze from my local Bloomingdale’s. The deciding factor was that Tempurpedic online could not give me a definite delivery date; they could only commit to calling me “a couple of days before” to let me know when they would be arriving. This was unacceptable–both to the management of my coop where deliveries must be scheduled and have limited hours allowable AND to me, since I have such a busy schedule and have to plan in advance–like most people.

I did some research prior to ordering; the legs that come standard with the bed would have almost required a stepladder! I ordered shorter legs which are perfect ($75 extra, don’t know why they couldn’t just switch out…now have extra legs I will never use).

On to the mattress: I LOOOVE it! From the first night, the moment I put my head on the pillow I slept straight through the night. Although my back pain is certainly not gone, my discomfort at night and when I wake up in the morning is definitely lessened AND my quality of sleep is much better.

The sensation IS a little strange…every time I lie down, I think to myself “wow, this is so comfortable and feels so enveloping and soft it CANNOT have any support”…but then, within a few minutes I again appreciate how supportive it really is. NO comparison to my old box spring.

And when I lie on my side, with my bony shoulder and hip jutting out, I cannot tell you how comfortable I am for the first time in my life. I don’t feel any pressure (especially on the shoulder that has had a rotator cuff repair) and am able to maintain great spinal alignment.

Yes, there was some “off gassing” the first week or so, but it dissipated quickly and was not disturbing…especially when compared to a new foam sofa I had had delivered nearly two months before that STILL makes my eyes tear when I am anywhere near it! And I notice if I sit or lie somewhere on the bed where I have not spent much time (e.g., the foot), the odor arises anew, but again not too offensive.

I was worried about “sleeping hot”. Not a problem; this mattress is certainly no hotter than my old box spring and actually has a very pleasant coolness when first lying down thanks to the breeze technology. (Of course, keep in mind that this is a VERY cold winter here in New York and I don’t use heat in my bedroom, so it’s always in the mid 60s).

One glitch: I also bought the Ergo base and followed the instructions on how to connect it to my wireless network. It was great using my iphone to adjust the bed rather than having yet another annoying remote to misplace or fall asleep on…until it stopped working. When I called Tempurpedic customer service, I was informed that they were having a lot of trouble with customers using their own wireless network and that I should not have done so (why didn’t they warn me?), attempted to get me to repair it myself by crawling UNDER the bed (I explained it was only a few inches off the ground, was queen size, and my arms were not long enough to get under there), and finally agreed to set up a repair call. Unfortunately, the gentleman set up a date BEFORE confirming my availability. I told him I could not make it until the FOLLOWING day; he told me it was too late to change the appointment (this was mere seconds after he scheduled it) and that, when the guy called the day before to confirm, I would have to cancel and reschedule! I told him this was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was informed that no such person was available and that even if there was, I would be told the same thing. A minor inconvenience but pretty stupid and a waste of time and manpower on their part.

Regardless, I am extremely happy with my new Tempurpedic, am glad I ordered the Lux vs the Supreme especially when on my side, and am eternally grateful for all your guidance and those who wrote.

THANKS!!

Hi DrDonna,

As you know from many articles on the site I’m not a “fan” of the “value” of Tempurpedic mattresses (although they mostly use good quality materials) but each person may have very different criteria that are important parts of their personal value equation. It certainly seems that your mattress is a great “fit” for you which of course is the most important goal of any mattress purchase.

Thanks for the update and for sharing your thoughts … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I totally agree. The cost was insane; I’m sure the mom and pop stores have equal or better products for much better value…this was just easier for me and I paid the price. I actually ended up going to Dixie Foam to have a foam window seat made a couple of weeks ago and wished I had gone BEFORE I ordered my bed. The owner, Mark, was great–very knowledgeable, helpful, and DEFINITELY much more reasonable price-wise.

I really wanted to let you know how invaluable I found your site to be.

Donna