Why latex vs high density foam?

Hi, I’m trying to settle on a mattress and I’m still confused on the advantages of latex over a high quality foam. Is it durability, lack of off-gassing or something else?

Hi serene,

In very general terms (because there are so many versions of both latex and polyfoam that it’s only possible to make more general comparisons) … latex is more durable, more point elastic (takes on the shape of the body better which provides more even support and aids in better pressure relief), has a higher support factor (gets firmer faster with deeper compression which helps with deep support), is more breathable (regulating humidity and temperature), has higher resilience, elasticity, and “liveliness” which provides for a better “feel” for most people, is more natural than polyfoam for those who prefer more natural materials, has less complaints about offgassing and odor, is more biodegradeable, and is generally considered to be a superior material … but as you know it’s also more costly than polyfoam.

The choice of materials is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice though because there are also some versions of polyfoam that are very high quality and durable materials and some which can “approximate” some or even many of the properties of latex.

The best way to now which one you tend to prefer (either by itself or in combination with other types of materials and components in any specific mattress) would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I ended up settling on a latex bed from Sleep-Ez and I’m happy wth my choice to go with latex, but now I need help adjusting my mattress.

I am very petite and slim - 5’3, 105 lbs. female, but my shoulders are wider than my hips. I’m a side sleeper. The measurement from my shoulder joint to the outside is 3.5". I have 3" Soft Talalay over 3" Soft Dunlop over 3" medium Dunlop. After sleeping on it for a couple nights, I’m noticing that even with it being so soft, I feel pressure on my shoulders and it doesn’t feel like they’re sinking in at all. It kinda feels like they’re getting “crushed” between my body and the bed.

My hips feel like they’re sinking in fine, but I do notice the pushback from the latex. I’m not waking up with any pain, so I assume this could be because I’m still getting used to the feel of the mattress. Also, the overall springiness of the latex is something I’m still getting used to. I was sleeping on a 6" firm coil mattress that was horribly uncomfortable so this is a drastic shift.

Do you have any advice as far as what to do next regarding my shoulder issue? The comfort in my shoulders is really not that improved over my last mattress. I can do a layer exchange or return with Sleep-Ez and I’m open to buying a topper, but I’m not sure what my options are given that my mattress is already what would be considered pretty soft.

Also is there any way to dampen the springy feeling without sacrificing pressure relief? Or is this something I’d have to get used to? Thanks.

Hi serene1,

The first suggestion I would make is to give any new mattress a few weeks before you make any significant changes because there will be a break in and adjustment period over the first few weeks with any new mattress. There is more about the break in and adjustment period and also some other suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

There is also more about the most common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Shoulder issues are often the result of a unsuitable pillow so it may be worthwhile trying a different pillow (possibly thicker if your mattress is firmer than your previous mattress and the gap between your head and neck and the mattress is more than it was previously).

If after a few weeks you have tried some of the suggestions and you are still finding that you have pressure points in your shoulders then since you already have two soft layers in your mattress (and the soft Talalay is their softest layer) it may be worth considering adding a topper to your mattress.

Latex is a very resilient material and Talalay is the most resilient version of latex and this is just part of the properties of latex. You can dampen the “feel” and resilience of latex somewhat by adding a topper that is made from a less resilient material on top of your mattress. Memory foam would be the least resilient but polyfoam, natural or synthetic fibers, shredded latex, or even synthetic latex would also reduce the surface resilience to some degree).

Phoenix