Will my bed frame be sufficient for the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Queen Latex Mattress?

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased the mattress indicated in the title and it will be arriving Wednesday. I got the queen size with a number 8 for softness because I like a fairly soft mattress. I’m 6 foot tall 160 pounds. Sidesleeper. The product is here: Dreamfoam by Brooklyn Bedding - Dream Foam

My only concern is my bed frame. I have this bed frame: Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree
The slats on it are about 3.15 inches apart. I know that it’s typically recommended to have slats that are less than 3 inches, but I thought that was more of a concern for memory foam. Will I be able to get away with it for the Eurotop?

Thanks,
Darius

Hi DariusB,

The “3 inches or less” guideline generally applies to mattresses that have latex support cores because latex is a very flexible and elastic material that can sag into gaps more easily. With stiffer or less flexible support cores such as the polyfoam in your mattress then wider gaps in the range of 4" or even 5" are generally fine (although of course smaller gaps will still provide a more evenly supportive surface).

Your bedframe appears to have good center support to the floor and with 3.15" gaps it would be fine for your mattress.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well … you certainly made a good choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you! I’m excited.

By the way, I had originally bought a BedInABox because of what I found on Sleeplikethedead. I was totally unsatisfied with it and luckily they have a good return policy (essentially, you donate the mattress and get a donation receipt and then they refund you the money).

THEN I discovered Mattress Underground and my world was turned upside-down. I’m very very excited about my purchase and I thank you for all of your help Phoenix.

-Darius

Hi DariusB,

I’m glad the site could help you … and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Just wanted to let you know that I received the mattress today. The total time between order and receiving it was about 11 days.

I will say that the box that it came in had a hole in it. I opened it up and inspected the mattress but didn’t see any punctures. I’m a bit concerned though. When I unrolled the outer layer of plastic, the bed started to inflate. I’m not just talking about a little bit, I’m saying that I started to hear air rushing into the inner layer of plastic. I put it on my bed and it expanded to a certain point where the mattress could no longer expand. Then I cut the inner plastic and let it expand the rest of the way. I’m concerned because when i bought a BedInABox, I didn’t hear air rushing in until I cut the inner layer. I was just wondering if this was normal?? I tried to inspect the plastic for holes, but it’s almost impossible to tell. I’m just concerned that the mattress may have been compromised during shipping.

By the way, the FedEx lady left the mattress near my garage… not on my doorstep… in plain sight with exposure to the Florida sun and rain. Luckily, my dad was home and grabbed it right away because he heard her coming… but she didn’t even ring the bell. I know that’s not Dreamfoam’s fault, but I would probably recommend a different shipping company since FedEx has always been fairly terrible in my opinion.

Ok, so as far as the bed is concerned, it feels nice and soft… just the way I like it. I only laid on it for a second because I want to give it ample time to expand fully and off gas before I throw sheets on it. I will return in a few weeks to give my full review.

-Darius

Hi DariusB,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

You can see a video here of a Brooklyn Bedding “unboxing”. Normally the mattress wouldn’t start to inflate until the inner wrapping is opened but if the inner wrapping has any small leaks or was torn or punctured when the other layers were being removed or was punctured during shipping it could start to decompress before the inner layer was removed (the one in the video had some slight early decompression because they said they punctured it when they were opening the mattress). Any type of damage that could compromise the mattress though should be clearly visible so if there is no visible damage it’s not something that I would be concerned with.

I’m looking forward to your next update.

Phoenix

I’m about to order an Ultimate Dreams mattress and stumbled upon your post while researching frames. That’s a beautiful bed! I think I may end up ordering that instead of a basic metal frame and separate headboard. I noticed a couple of reviewers said the headboard is deceptively short, so if you have a thicker mattress on it you don’t see much of the headboard. Have you had this experience?

I’ve started to look at the Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding products as well (online is so much cheaper!) and hadn’t even thought about the frame.

Right now we just have the basic metal frame bolted to a wooden headboard with the 2-piece boxspring (king size) that came with our current pillowtop mattress. Would this frame work for a memory foam/latex hybrid mattress? Would we keep our current boxspring or get something new?

Off topic question: What do people do with their old mattresses when buying online? Set up a special pickup with the garbage service?

Hi Benstark,

There is more about metal bedframes in post #10 here but if it isn’t one of the cheapest ones and has 1.5" angle iron and a center beam with good center support to the floor (preferably with two legs in the center) then it will probably be fine.

I don’t know the specifics of the box spring you have (or whether it is a box spring that has springs inside it that flex or is a foundation that has a rigid support surface with minimal or no flex at all) but there is more information about the types of support systems that are generally best for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here. Foam mattresses generally do best with a rigid, evenly supportive, and non flexing support surface so if you have a foundation that is still in very good condition and has little to no flex and still has a flat support surface and there is no sagging or weak spots anywhere on the surface of the foundation when you test it with strong compression (with your knee) then it should be fine.

Post #2 here should be helpful if you need to dispose of or recycle an old mattress.

Phoenix

I recently replaced my mattress with an online purchase and I took my old mattress and box spring down to the local salvation army store. My trash service would have taken them but for an extra $25 fee. Your options might vary depending on your location.

Darius,

You never followed up with the promised review of your Eurotop. I’d settle for a thumbs up/thumbs down but I’d also be grateful for any additional details.