Will polyfoam over wire foundation offer more bounce/plushness than bedrug?

My husband and I really liked the feel of a tallalay mattress we tried with specs 6" of 36 ILD topped with 3" of 14 ILD and on top of that 3" of 19 ILD. It was out of our budget, so to be economic I bought the Naturale (with 7" of Dunlop) mattress from SleepEZ and a 3" Tallalay topper of 19 ILD from Dreamfoam. I bought a Sleep master wire frame for a foundation. I uncderstand that I should put something between the latex mattress and the wire frame like a bed rug or firm polyfoam. I’m trying to decide between the two.

One side of the Naturale is firmer than the other, and while I feel that the firmer side is less “comfortable,” I don’t need to crack my back as much in the morning as compared to the softer side. However, overall the mattress feels less plush or luxurious than I was hoping. Would a couple inches of polyfoam between the mattress and the foundation add a little more “plush/bounce” over the bedrug? We live in FL and our house can get really humid. Will the latex over polyfoam be okay or should I go for the bedrug?

If neither option will add more plush/bounce, should I spring for another 3" Talalay topper in 14 or 19 ILD?

I look forward to your advice and expertise.

Hi cristalyte,

It’s not “essential” but I believe it would reduce the risk over the longer term yes.

Polyfoam would be less breathable than the bedrug and if you are looking at a softer layer it would be softer than the bed rug as well which may be more risky in terms of alignment.

While adding a softer layer of foam under the mattress could make some difference … it may affect alignment more than pressure relief and “feel” and it would have much less effect with both than adding another layer on top of your mattress. Depending on the softness/firmness of the polyfoam … some people may feel it and some may not really notice it at all with a 7" mattress and a 3" topper on top of it.

Latex over polyfoam is fine as long as the polyfoam is a suitable quality/density material if you prefer how it feels to your current combination.

Overall I would tend to use a firmer layer under your mattress (softer layers will also impress into the gaps in the wire grid more easily) and then use foam layers on top of your mattress to add any additional pressure relief that you need or to change the “feel” of your mattress. As a layer between your mattress and bedframe I would choose the bed rug because it’s firmer and more breathable.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been sleeping on your mattress but I would give it a few weeks before you consider making any changes so the mattress has a chance to break in and you have the chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface. There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful. Even then if you are sleeping well and “symptom free” then I would be hesitant to add more soft layers on top of your mattress which can add some additional risk in terms of alignment issues. I would keep in mind that you can’t “feel” a mattress when you are asleep and the most important parts of healthy sleeping are first good alignment in all your sleeping positions, second good pressure relief, and after these then all your other preferences including the subjective “feel” which is a less important part of healthy sleeping. If you do add another layer then I would keep it thinner so that it affects the “feel” with less risk to alignment.

Latex will be more resilient and “springy” than most polyfoam materials in the same ILD.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I appreciate your feedback.