Will you try a new mattress brand, especially when you are on a tight budget?

I am looking for a new trusted budget mattress brand to replace my current one. Has anyone here owned or used the Sunrising Bedding Memory Foam? How is the experience for back sleepers?

Our mattress is disintegrating and is no longer comfortable for me and my husband. I have constant back pains and my husband recently had an accident. He fell off the roof at his job. We, therefore, need a new king sized mattress that is able to offer a personalized comfort and support. It has to, however, cost less than $400 to fall within my budget.

I have conducted searches on Amazon for days now and seem to only find a few unfamiliar brands that fall within my budget. Can they be trusted? Astoundingly, they both have good and bad reviews alike and it is quite confusing to settle on one. Kindly feel free to give your suggestions on the right brand choice. :slight_smile:

Hello Donnaknapp

Thank you for your inquiry.

I myself have not owned, nor have I tried a Sunrising Bedding Memory foam mattress. But I did do some checking for you on Memory foam mattresses that fit your budget of around $400 for a King size:

Amazon shows many memory foam mattresses that range between $400 and $500. I found the Lucid memory foam mattress here: Amazon.com. This mattress is $434 in a king size.
It finishes 12" tall, and consists of 3" of ventilated gel foam over 1" of Bamboo-Charcoal Memory foam over an 8" HD foam support core.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. Keep us posted if you can!

Hi, glad to get your reply. Sleep EZ expert. :slight_smile:
We were considering trying a new brand because we want to make the best of our limited money. A relatively famous mattress brand may have spent too much on brand promotion. They also need to keep price lower and keep a good mattress quality. But it usually impossible to have the 3 advantages at the same time. A famous mattress brand with good quality may be too expensive for us. A famous mattress brand with a low price may sacrifice strict quality control to save costs.
Actually I worry about the quality of Lucid mattress especially after reading those one star reviews.
Could you give me more suggestions?

Hi Donnaknapp.

I am sorry to hear that your husband fell off the roof and hurt himself.

It seems that you already started to rule out a few offenders with weak links and low-quality componentry which is a very good start … you are correct that because of the low budget range you are looking at you are limited in what you can find. Regardless of the mattress type you are considering (memory foam mattress or innerspring hybrid with either memory foam of latex) then in most cases, the most important factor in its durability will generally be the quality/density of the memory foam layers about the polyfoam base layer. I would keep in mind when shopping for a Foam/hybrid mattress that they can range from very low quality and “cheap” mattresses with very little durability to some very high-quality mattresses as well and I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

If you are considering the 10" hybrid latex mattress…there’s some very confusing (and conflicting) information on the Amazon site, so I would also have some concerns. The product uses 1" of Chinese Talalay and is made by DeLandis in China. If you are considering the 10" hybrid latex mattress I would be cautious about purchasing anything without knowing the specifications of each layer and finding if they are meeting the quality/value guidelines here.
3.5" comfort layer (density unknown)
8.5" Support Layer with edge support (density unknown)
If you are able to find these specifications from a reliable source both SleepEz or I would be happy to comment upon this product.

FIY you can see some of the threads where Lucid was discussed here connected with washable cover issues that consumers experienced. 10" “Latex” Hybrid Mattress is using 1" Dunlop, but there isn’t complete information about the blend or certification information about this foam. There is a 7" polyfoam core beneath it but the density is unknown, so this is not an all-latex mattress. A forum search on Lucid (you can just click the link) will bring up comments and feedback about them. Lucid is from China, and post #6 here is about mattresses imported from Asia or China which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased, which in my opinion makes this a more risky purchase.

For your restricted budget you may wish to look through the following options:
I am not very sure what you’ve read since you’ve found us but just in case you skipped a few important steps in your search for a low budget mattress…the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Below are listed some options you may wish to consider for low budget/ better quality (or a little higher) which are trusted members of our site, which means that I think highly of them in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Flexus Comfort has a few innerspring mattresses in your price range (link to Max rest) but they have some more.
Sedona Sleep sells a polyfoam base mattress (Trusted Member of this site)
www.addable.com/ sells a memory foam mattress.
Nest Bedding has their Love & Sleep mattress. (Trusted Member of this site)
Christeli has one memory foam option (Trusted Member of this site)
LuxiSleep has a low budget option as well. (Trusted Member of this site)

You can also do a DIY although I don’t recommend this option without the careful guidance from an experienced and knowledgeable retailer and manufacturer. For example, you could opt for a good quality King 7" poly layer of 1.9lbs (suitable for average to high weight ranges) such as the one here for $300 then add a topper and a mattress cover. The Arctic Dream (nonmember of the site) is another inexpensive model option, but I would place a sight caution for those of higher weight ranges

Best of luck with your choice. Let us know which direction you wish to go into and we’ll be glad to be of assistance.

Phoenix