Winkbeds

Hi notadoctor,

Thanks for providing all the specs for the winkbeds. I did talk with them a few weeks ago and they were going to confirm a couple of the specs that they provided but I haven’t talked with them since so I appreciate that you confirmed the information I had. I updated their specs in post #2 here of the “simplified choice” mattress topic and removed them from the “AVOID until complete specs are known” section of the table.

The microcoil and all the layers below it are all good quality materials and components that wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress IMO but I would be a little cautious with having 2" of 1.5 lb polyfoam in the top layers of the mattress. Their specs are certainly better than most of the mainstream mattresses you will encounter which tend to use thicker layers of 1.5 lb or even lower density polyfoam in their top layers but 2" of 1.5 lb polyfoam is still a little thicker than the guidelines I would normally suggest which are “around an inch or so of lower density polyfoam”. It’s certainly not bad but one of the things that we talked about on the phone was using higher density polyfoam (1.8 lb or higher or even 2.0 lb for higher weight ranges) in at least one of the top layers which would put it inside the guidelines that I would normally suggest.

The 1.5 lb polyfoam foam encasement is also a little lower density than I would normally suggest but this would play a bigger role for those who regularly sleep with more of their weight concentrated on the outside edges of their mattress or who use the edge for sitting on a regular basis. Using 1.8 lb polyfoam or even 2.0 lb polyfoam for higher weights would improve the durability of the edge support here as well.

I do like that they use a pocket coil in their bottom layer instead of a Bonnell coil like the Saatva which would provide better contouring and motion isolation.

Overall they are certainly in a better quality/value range than most of the innerspring or “coil on coil” mattresses that you would find in the mainstream industry but I would still be a little cautious because the 2" of 1.5 lb polyfoam they are using in the top layers are “on the edge” of being a weak link in the mattress.

Most of the simplified choice mattresses have a trial period and return policy that ranges between 75 days and 120 days which would all provide plenty of time to decide whether a mattress was a suitable choice. Most people would know whether they made a suitable choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) within the first month or so of sleeping on a mattress.

Phoenix