Winkbeds

Thanks Phoenix, I already know its a well thought out and well built mattress. Im hoping to get a report from someone who went from the medium to the soft version. Everyone seems to review the medium which is to be expected.
Don

Hi earlds,

I think you were replying to this post?

The medium is the most popular in the Winkbeds lineup, which is usually the case with most simplified choice products. As with all peopleā€™s opinions/experiences here on the site, Iā€™ll always advise caution in the applicability of one personā€™s experience as a reliable indicator of how someone else will feel or respond on the same mattress, due to the large differences in individual preferences, sleeping styles, BMIs, somatotypes, levels of health, strength, flexibility, preexisting conditions, sensitivities, etc.

Phoenix

Has anyone with high BMI gotten a winkbed yet and can provide info? Iā€™m really interested, but at 40 BMI Iā€™d like specific information about how people of similar weights feel about the mattress.

Thank you!

Hi O_D_O,

[quote]Has anyone with high BMI gotten a winkbed yet and can provide info? Iā€™m really interested, but at 40 BMI Iā€™d like specific information about how people of similar weights feel about the mattress[/quote].

You can see some comments about the quality/durability of the materials in the Winkbeds in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic along with post #2 here. My concern, especially for someone of a higher BMI, would be the 2" of 1.5 polyfoam used in the upper layers. They have recently added a ā€œPlusā€ model for those over 300 pounds, which seems to add some latex and a zoned pocketed innerspring unit, but I donā€™t have complete specifications if they upgrade the polyfoam in this mattress or the amount/type of latex used.

As you may have read on my previous reply to earlds, Iā€™ll always advise caution in the applicability of one personā€™s experience as a reliable indicator of how someone else will feel or respond on the same mattress, due to the large differences in individual preferences, sleeping styles, BMIs, somatotypes, levels of health, strength, flexibility, preexisting conditions, sensitivities, etc.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick response! Iā€™ll skip the regular Winkbeds model and add calling them about their Plus model to my todo list.

Naturally another personā€™s experience isnā€™t going to be the same as mine. But theyā€™re useful points of data nonetheless.

Hi O_D_O,

Youā€™re welcome. Feel free to post back about any information youā€™re able to acquire about the Plus version of the Winkbeds and Iā€™ll be happy to comment upon it.

While I certainly understand you may consider other peopleā€™s opinions about a mattress ā€œimportant pieces of dataā€, I advise against such a viewpoint, as reviews or other peopleā€™s experiences in general wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone elseā€™s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar BMI range).

A better suggestion for you to consider would be to start by reading post #3 here that has more information and suggestions about higher BMIs. The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in the durability guidelines here.

Good luck with your research!

Phoenix

Hi,I am in a higher bmi and tried both the medium and soft version of the winkbed.My husband is in the normal bmi range and we found both versions too firm for us.We are both side sleeper and kept waking up with sore hips& shoulders.We gave each version about 30 days before returning.I thought the winkbed felt like a quality mattress.We needed to put two mattress covers on tbe winkbed to not feel the buttons on the top layer.What we really didnā€™t like is no handles on the side of the mattress to help rotate.It is a heavy mattress.Customer service was excellent from pre purchase through the return process

Hi Bestsleep1,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your experience, and Iā€™m sorry that your Winkbed didnā€™t work out well for you, but Iā€™m glad they were assistive with their customer service for you.

Your comments bring up an important point about how much the variability of oneā€™s personal preferences plays into the selection of a mattress, as for a higher BMI the ā€œsoftā€ version of the Winkbed would ā€œnormallyā€ be considered too plush. But nothing of course replaces your own personal testing.

Sore hips and shoulders can be the result of both a mattress that has ā€œtoo firmā€ of a surface comfort, as well as one that is ā€œtoo plushā€, and post #2 here discusses some of the more common reasons that people experience certain pains/symptoms with different sleep surfaces.

I think youā€™re referring to the circular quilting on the top layer of the mattress, as there are no tufts or ā€œbuttonsā€ on top of the mattress. Itā€™s a little unusual for someone to go to the extent of using two mattress covers (which will impact the overall feel of the mattress) to not feel the quilt pattern of a mattress, so this, along with the soft version of the Winkbed feeling ā€œtoo hardā€ for you, definitely points to a sensitivity to a plush surface comfort, and you may wish to consider items in the future using more point elastic materials in the upper comfort layers (memory foam or latex might be good choices) with a covering that eschews any quilting.

Good luck in your new search, if you havenā€™t already found a new mattress.

Phoenix

I heard back from Winkbeds about their Plus mattress, hereā€™s the response:

"In the WinkBed Plus, weā€™ve upgraded the components of the mattress to a more supportive and more durable design. We use two types of foams, Hypersoft and Latex, both of which are resilient and chosen for their durability qualities. When paired together, they are make for a very supportive, cool-sleeping, and contouring sleep surface. The Latex foam, which is not found on the standard model WinkBeds, adds significant support and durability to the mattress. We use the layer of Latex instead of the micro-coil layer which is found in our standard WinkBed, as it will provide better support and contour to a heavier user. The firmness of the WinkBed Plus is designed feel like a medium-firm, around a 6.5 out of 10, for someone around 300LBS.

The edge supports on the Plus model bed have also been upgraded from the standard model beds.

The Firmer model mattress uses the same pillow top layers as the Luxury Firm bed (instead of the high-density), but also uses the same zoned coil system as the Plus. The Firmer bed is going to feel like a 7 of 7.5 out of 10, with 10 being the most firm. The coil layers are very supportive, while the pillow top provides pressure point relief.

Specs:

• 6-Layer Hybrid spring/foam construction
  • Cover made from Tencel and strech-nit fabric
  • 1" Hypersoft and gel foam blend 1.5lb density 17 ILD
  • 2.5" C1 Mountain Top Latex which has an IFD/Density spec of 3.0 PCF and 12 IFD
  • 1" Lumbar Pad made from pre-compressed densified cotton.
  • Foam encased, individually wrapped, triple zone coil. A king has 1089 in this layer.
  • 2" Support foam 1.8LB density 28 ILD
  • -High density foam edge support 4.5 inch wide (1.8LB density and 65 ILD)"

Side note: It really bugs me to see manufacturers advertising foam edge support as a good thing. If itā€™s so much sturdier than springs and an edge frame, why not make the whole mattress out of it?

Iā€™m specifically looking for a non-foam mattress because I want non-foam edge support. My current mattress has sturdy edges that feels like some kind of actual steel wire frame and is basically bulletproof. This ā€˜high density foam edge supportā€™ is, pardon my language, b*******. If I wanted a plush edge that was prone to squishing under me, Iā€™d get an actual foam mattress and save the aggravation of trying to find an inexpensive quality innerspring. /rant

Between the price ($200 more) and the foam ā€˜edge supportā€™ even on the Plus model, it looks like Winkbeds is not the answer I was hoping for. This is getting kind of frustrating.

Hi O_D_O,

Thanks for your update. So the biggest difference in moving to the Plus model seems to be the replacement of the microcoils by continuous pour Dunlop (the donā€™t list the blend) and a firming up of the edge reinforcement.

Making an entire mattress out of a 65 ILD polyfoam would be incredibly hard and quite uncomfortable, so you would not commonly find that specific foam used in the comfort layers of a mattress.

The choice of using a foam edge reinforcement versus a spring edge reinforcement is one made by the mattress designers, taking into account the feel they are attempting to achieve and the minimization of roll off (high ILD polyfoam will generally feel ā€œharderā€ on the edge than a pocketed coil reinforcement system), cost, production methodology, familiarity, and shipping methods (pocketed spring units can be easier to roll pack), among other things. Both can perform well.

There are some edge systems using clipped-in springs between a border rod that can be very firm, but manufacturers are constantly walking a line between an edge reinforcement system that prevents roll off (the real reason to have an edge support system) and provides a firmer edge seating surface, and making that system too firm where it become obtrusive when you sleep too close to the edge of the mattress. Too hard of an edge reinforcement system that is made to feel as supportive as a chair will provide a very uncomfortable sleeping surface. Good quality foam edge reinforcement systems can be very durable and comfortable (your opinion notwithstanding), as can ones using coils to the edge.

Phoenix

Ive wondered abouf this myself but I realized, after many hours of reading and video watching that the reason I was able to sit on the edge of my 8 inch Beautyrest pocket coil mattress (metal outside rail) like I did for twenty two years, is that the mattress sat on a box spring so the wood edges of the box spring gave solid support as if sitting on an 8 inch cushion on a chair. You can still get this type of mattress on a box spring. I personally donā€™t want an edge support that I can sit on because my wife and I sleep on a Queen mattress (Winkbeds softer) and I find myself needing the edge of the mattress to give exactly like the center of the mattress cause I need to be able to sleep right on the very edge sometimes . Im pretty sure that you would have a similar problem with a Hastings.
Buying a mattress can be a bit of a hastle for sure. I wish you luck.
Don

Lol! I read your reply after leaving mine, Iā€™m glad we seem to be on the same page. Of corse now Iā€™m laying here carefully compairing the transition from the inside of the mattress to the edge and I can feel the difference, but I find it ti be a very good transition.
Don

Hi earlds,

From the FWIW file: Back in the mid-90s, the Beautyrest line generally used two rows of thicker gauge steel springs along the sides (13 gauge was common), with a border rod along the top and the bottom of those springs (their mattresses were two-sided back then). The springs would have been responsible for the edge feeling a bit firmer, with the border rod mostly adding structural integrity. The foundation was the Power Flex, which was a four-fold torsion modular system that flexed a little bit, but not as much as an actual coil box spring.

Phoenix

Everything Iā€™ve read and experienced says that while foam can be durable, it definitely does not provide the same edge experience as having the mattress actually extend to the edge.

Manufacturers doing that says one of two things to me - either their mattress isnā€™t that great and couldnā€™t provide good edge support so they fall back on foam, or their mattress is that great but foam is cheaper and theyā€™re getting away with as much foam as they can. Either one is a valid business decision, but itā€™s extremely offputting.

Thatā€™s all sort of beside the point though. Due to the details of my sleeping situation, I sleep on the edge of the mattress often. If I was willing to sleep on solid hard foam, Iā€™d order that and be done with it.

To me, the whole point of an innerspring mattress is that I can sleep right up to the edge and still get the support I paid for without the edge really buckling under me, as has happened on every foam and foam-edge mattress Iā€™ve tried. Not bothering to put the actual mattress innards all the way to the edge of the mattress makes Winkbeds worthless to me.

Thanks for describing the system I should be looking for. Do you have any mattress suggestions that currently use a border rod system?

Hi O_D_O,

This all depends upon the quality of the edge reinforcement system. Just because a system uses springs doesnā€™t make it durable, and just because a system uses foam doesnā€™t make it inadequate. Itā€™s not an either/or situation.

While I appreciate your opinion, it isnā€™t an accurate one, for the reasons (but not limited to) that I listed in my previous reply in this thread.

The very fact that springs are carried out to the edge of a mattress does not guarantee a firm edge system. In fact, there are many, with and without a border rod, that have very poor roll off characteristics. Youā€™d generally need to accompany this with some sort of extra edge reinforcement componentry.

While I understand that this is not a system that you prefer, for most individuals it does provide a very adequate system for the minimization of roll off.

Iā€™m sorry, but that unfortunately would be beyond the scope and point of this forum, as attempting to maintain a listing of all of the innerspring componentry of the products listed within the threads here on the forum, as well as the thousands upon thousands of ever-changing offerings elsewhere, would be too large of a task for one individual to maintain.

Additionally, the use of a border rod does not make a firm edge reinforcement system by itself. Youā€™d generally have to accompany this with various spring inserts, hard foam inserts into the springs themselves, or firmer or specialized springs along the edge (as examples of systems not using foam encasement). It is also becoming more popular for brands to eschew border rods to help allow their products to bend and be usable upon power foundations.

Phoenix

I am literally laying on the very edge of my winkbeds softter mattress at this very moment and I can tell you this (and I weigh 178, you have to know how much a person weighs in theses discussions) and I can just sense that Iā€™m on the very edge because it seems just a tad firmer than the rest of the mattress. This is what I want, because i need for the edge to conform to my body the same as the rest of the mattress and this mattress does this. I could still sit on the side of the bed if i wanted, but after doing way more reseach on mattress building than is reasonable for someone not in the mattress business to do, I have come to realize that the old folks were right in saying that a bed is for sleeping, not sitting, lol. Although my wife and I do sit up and read before bed every night.
Like i said before my 95 beautyrest had metal frame work around it, but it mashed down more than my winkbeds.
That said, if I could spend eight grand on a bed I might try a Vispring. But I think the edge support would still match the rest of the mattress.
I wonder if all this edge support talk came about when companies started stuffing pieces of polyfoam in a bag and calling them a mattress.
Just tried the edge again, still excellent.
Don

Thank you for the welcome Phoenix.I have used the info on your site many times and found it very informative .the winkbed does in fact have what I would call tufted buttoms that my husband and I could feel while laying on our sides.

both of us felt very little difference between the medium and softer version of the winkbeds.We moved on to a luma sleep hybrid that we gave about 60 days with the medium topper and a week on the soft.I thought the medium was comfortable but my husband was waking with lower back pain and hip pain.He is the one with the average BMI.We just returned the luma(excellent customer service) .We ordered a 9 inch medium mattress from sleeponlatex .We also ordered a medium 3 inch topper.We thought the mattress alone offered great support but both thought we could use just a touch of sink so we tried the mattress with the topper last night.The topper made the mattress so firm I had to go sleep on our guest bed(cheap zinus).We will go back to just the mattress tonight and see how it goes.Sleeponlatex has had very responsive customer service.They shipped out the same day
our mattress search has led us to feel we need a Dunlop latex base with a softer top layer for comfortable side sleeping.This whole process requires lots of research a d trial and error

Hi earlds,

Thanks for your feedback.

And edge reinforcement systems, in various configurations, have been around for decades. Some people prefer the feel of certain types (foam, springs), and others prefer different levels of firmness (minimizing roll off to feeling like a chair). Mattress companies use various methods to achieve an extra level of support without (hopefully) sabotaging the consistency of the sleep surface.

Phoenix

Hi Bestsleep1,

Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve found the information here useful.

You may be calling these ā€œtuftsā€, but as I explained in my earlier reply they are not. Tufting is a very specific process in mattress construction where the mattress is pre-compressed and a cord is run through the entire mattress with a button both on the top and the bottom to hold this cord in place and the tension on the mattress/foams. What you experienced was the circular stitching that is the quilting of a mattress, which generally secures the top few layers of material to the ticking of the mattress. I make the distinction because these are two very different processes and someone reading through your reply might erroneously think that this mattress is tufted, and as this is a process that many people desire, they may end up making a decision on inaccurate information. Of course, none of this takes away that you were sensitive to the feel of the quilting pattern. :slight_smile:

With your current mattress, keep the people at Sleep on Latex ā€œin the loopā€, and it may be that with your testing you may prefer their softer topper over the medium.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix or anyone else who has experience with this,ā€¦ but Winkbed does not ship to Canada and I really want to try out their mattress! Has anyone somehow gotten around this barrier in Canada or know how? Iā€™ve tried calling services for freight forwarding and itā€™s a confusing mess (maybe iā€™m calling the wrong ones) and seemingly super expensive just to get a mattress here to try. Also would really suck if i had to return it for even more costs! Any advice? Why Winkbed? Why no Canada?!