Winkbeds

Hello! Do any forum members have experience with Winkbeds? If so please share your impressions for this mattress, Thanks!

Hi Mettaman,

You can see some of my comments about Winkbeds along with many of the other ā€œsimplified choiceā€ mattresses in post #2 in this topic along with post #2 here.

Hopefully any of the members here that have purchased it will see your post and share their comments but so far there arenā€™t any forum members that have purchased it and posted about their experience.

Having said that ā€¦ I would be very cautious about using other peopleā€™s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else either in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or in terms of durability (see post #13 here).

Reviews about the knowledge or service at a particular store can certainly be helpful but when it comes to the specifics of a mattress they wonā€™t provide you with the type of reliable information you will need to make an informed choice about how well you will sleep on a mattress, how long you will sleep well, or the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase compared to all the other options that are available to you either in your area or online.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. Your advice makes perfect sense. BTW youā€™re the best forum moderator Iā€™ve ever experienced. Well done.

Hello,

I just got a Winkbed two weeks ago and am very happy with it. I ordered a queen with their low profile foundation and put a breathable terry cover on it.

I sleep best without any pillow and can comfortably sleep in any position on it. It is very stable and the best thing is that my pets love the bed They stay in one place and donā€™t move around during the night so I get a lot of sleep. The bed was made in a day and it took 6 days to deliver. Everything went smoothly.

I actually think the bed is a bit firmer than advertised but very comfortable. Give your back a few hours to overnight to adjust to the change.

The only question I have for the company is if it is ok to use a shampooer on the surface when I want to clean it. If you want to save a couple of hundred bucks get a full instead of a qeen

Hi kylie1,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your purchase ā€¦ and itā€™s great to hear that you are happy with your new mattress.

For some people it can take a few weeks for the mattress to break in and to adjust to a new sleeping surface that is different from what your body is used to (see post #3 here).

A full size can be suitable for one person but not so much for a couple because you would each have about the same width to sleep on as a crib mattress.

Itā€™s normally a good idea to use a mattress protector is to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. They can be easily removed for washing and are usually designed to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself. This way you wonā€™t need to clean your mattress cover except for spot cleaning when necessary and vacuuming the surface from time to time. There is more about the pros and cons of the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

If you ever need them there is some good information about cleaning a mattress and spot cleaning any stains here and here and here that may be helpful. Itā€™s also very important to make sure that the mattress is completely dry before you put your sheets and bedding back on the mattress because water or moisture that is trapped in a mattress can damage some foams and can also lead to mold and mildew. They would also be the best source of guidance about any specific cleaning or care instructions that would be suitable for their mattress.

Phoenix

I did get a Luna brand terry protector that Winkbeds recommended. Itā€™s fine but I am thinking of going with a bamboo one. Thanks so much for the links for cleaning a mattress. I am very careful with it because of my pets. I have the protector, a fitted sheet, flat sheet two blankets and a comforter.

I also wanted to mention that delivery was easy and I recommend white glove delivery with old mattress removal. If you are on a super tighter budget you might want the Loom and Leaf or the Leesa if you already have a foundation.
There is no tax on the Winkbed and I am not sure how I feel about that. It was good for me obviously but I think the sales tax should benefit whatever state it was sold from.

I think the online mattress industry has upped the quality in general of mattresses and given people more options in materials and where their mattress is made.

Hi kylie1,

These are both very different types of mattresses from the Winkbeds you purchased. The Loom and Leaf is a memory foam mattress and the Leesa has hybrid comfort layers which include a high performance polyfoam on top of a lower density 3 lb memory foam and based on their materials Iā€™m not so sure that either of them would make the best choice compared to other similar mattresses.

This would be the same with almost all online purchases except for deliveries to the state where they are located where they have to charge tax.

I would certainly agree with you if you are comparing the better online retailers or manufacturers to the major brands or the mainstream industry but there are also many lower quality or questionable online choices as well so itā€™s always important to make some good value comparisons in terms of suitability, durability, and ā€œvalueā€. There are also some great local or regional manufacturers across the country that have been making some great quality/value mattresses for decades that are either sold factory direct or through some of the better sleep shops across the country ā€¦ the problem is that they arenā€™t as good at marketing as some of the newer ā€œsimplified choiceā€ mattress companies so not as many people know about them.

Phoenix

I have managed to look up some really great regional mattress producers but they can be hard to find because they are not publicized as much as the ā€œbed of the momentā€ retailers.

I did find one great site but the lowest priced mattress was 3 x what I paid for the Winkbed. There are still some who have been around for a long time and they have you tube videos showing how they put their mattresses together. Next time I look for a mattress I will consider these but given the fact that i was pressed for time (work 3 jobs) and on a moderate budget the Winkbed was a good choice. It is getting even more comfortable after a few weeks of ownership.

Hi kylie1,

The forum includes a list of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of for almost every area in the US and Canada so if you ever need it then if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to provide you with the link to the list for your area.

If the mattress you were looking at had similar materials and components and was an apples to apples comparison to Winkbeds then 3x as much would certainly be much more than I would consider and there should be other options available in much lower budget ranges.

If you are happy with the Winkbeds in terms of PPP and it compares well to any other mattresses you were considering in terms of the quality and durability of the materials and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then you certainly made a good choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I ordered a queen bed directly from the Winkbed website. Prior to that I had emailed Winkbeds and received prompt replies to my questions. I also called them and Doug answered all my questions and concerns and without any hard sales talk. I very much appreciated that. I read all available reviews online, and re-read them. Especially the Amazon reviewsā€“some seemed contrived but who knows. I shopped and tested for a month in the stores and was very disheartened with prices, scams, lies and of course the mattress naming scams which prevent proper comparison shopping. The most attractive thing about this Winkbed is that I felt like there was nothing to lose if I tried it and didnā€™t like it. But there just arenā€™t many good reviews out there that adequately describe it so I will attempt to do so here, with a my background comparison following.
Customer service great. Pilot delivery stellar but I tracked it and called first when it was in Vegas. That wasnā€™t really necessary since another person called me directly an hour later to set up delivery, not knowing I had already scheduled it. I coordinated a 1 hour notification for the 11:00-3:00 delivery window so I would have time to leave work and accept delivery and not have to wait around too much.
Offload was good and friendly. Hard to get up stairs. Unless one has some help, I would recommend pre-purchasing the ā€˜white gloveā€™ service if you have difficult stairs. Itā€™s about an 85 pound mattress but the size makes it hard to negotiate climbing them.
Unpacking was easy, in a giant box, sealed in thick plastic. There is some smell gone by morningish. Not a chemical smell, just smelled new like fresh material from construction. Not surprising to me since they say they make it when you order it, and then bag it. Itā€™s on a good, even clean box spring I have but Iā€™ll have a leggett & Platt adjustable foundation arriving 4 days after the mattress.
First lay down test (like at a store): soft and stable on top which kind of surprised me since some reviewers thought it too firm, or firmer than medium. I thought it comparable to the thick Beautyrest Black models in stores that have cushy surface but good deeper support. I didnā€™t like some of the Blacks I tried because the comfort layer felt too much like memory foam that didnā€™t rebound quick enough even though they had good support. This (Winkbed) foam and the little springs in the comfort layer is springier, or more responsive on the rebound, but not like a trampoline or anything. Doesnā€™t FEEL too firm but I know something is down there to stop the sinking/sunken feeling that a lot of plush mattresses have for me. Softer than I expected based on previous reviews but that was just the comfort layer. I was nervous that it would be too firm for me but it wasnā€™t. No bottoming out. Good support. No sinking or envelopment too far and not like foam or a soft pillow top. I feel the foam and slight springiness (not bounciness) in the top layer and itā€™s good for me.
First impressions using it to sleep: (I took conscious mental notes so I could objectively tell my experience, and typed them in Notepad so I could tell them here as the nights went by)
First night: I have a standard thin polyester mattress pad on it. I have a thin wool one coming next week. Going to bed: Sitting up and reading my butt goes down comfortably without a leftover dent when I turn out the light to lay down for sleep.
Morning. Overslept! (Forgot to set my alarm). No pains or hot spots temp wise or pressure wise. Back is relaxed. Not sure if I shifted. No issues. I like it. I layed/slept near the edge for a time. It didnā€™t feel any different than the middle.

Second night: still comfy. Rolling out of bed is different because previous mattress was hard and there is more softness on this one to roll through when getting out, but not mucky in any way. Sitting on the edge, it is supportive, like a very soft chair. Iā€™m a side sleeper. Softness feels good. Just enough springiness without being bouncy. Feels like my legs are level with the rest of.my body. Woke up briefly to shift positions and asked myself if I felt joint pain, a pressure spot or blood pooling but I know I didnā€™t. I think I just wanted to be on my other side for some reason. Back to sleep no problem and happy for the comfort.

3rd-4th night: no change. As I get used to the mattress I can detect the support underneath the comfort layer. When I wake up in the morning I purposely stay still for a bit to note how it feels after (I assume) laying in one position for a long time. Pressure wise it feels just like when first laying down so thatā€™s a good sign. Then when I get out and stand up and ask myself if anything feels weird. Nope. Feels like I slept. Nothing sore. My back feels fine. (Prior mattresses made the small of my back hurt sometimes while I slept.
5th night: itā€™s now on an adjustable base. Iā€™ve never had one before. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever not have one now. They are nice to have. Iā€™m surprised how much the mattress bends. It doesnā€™t creak or anything and the bend looks natural without buckling. The inner folds are wrinkled which is no surprise. If Iā€™m not laying/sitting in the bed it will not all lay flush to the base when bent all the way which also isnā€™t surprising. If Iā€™m in the bed it bends just fine and stays flush. A 15 inch mattress looks funny when itā€™s bent by the way.

I want to like this mattress and I really, honestly and objectively do so far. Itā€™s perfect for me. Itā€™s just a little worrisome that nobody really knows what it will be like in 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 years. Even 5 good years is about 60 cents per day and that is more than acceptable to me as long as it stays close to the condition it is right now. Based on my research, I believe it cannot be any worse in the long term than any other of the much higher-cost mattresses like it out there. In fact I think itā€™s construction and makeup is much better based on what I know is inside of it compared to comparable more expensive mattresses. But I have absolutely no problem calling the company up to say come get it 3 months from now. I hope I donā€™t have to but if I do Iā€™ll just go get a cheapo from Costco and replace it after a couple years.

Cons:
The bottom of the mattress has a very delicate material on it. Not the sturdy material that is on the top. Mine came with a slight (1 inch) tear. No biggie to me. There is thick sturdy foam under (above) the delicate material. For this reason I put an old nylon (yuck) fitted sheet on the adjustable base. Itā€™s slippery for when the mattress slides against the base. Probably overkill.
No other cons to speak of at this point. You may find some of my comments on this mattress a con if itā€™s not what you like.

Well, thatā€™s it for now. So far so good. I hope it stays that way. I have no reason to think otherwise. For me the mattress feels exactly the way I like it, it sleeps well, and functions on the adjustable base just fine. I will be looking out for any denting as months go by. The warranty card looks like most other mattress warranties, except they only warrant it for 2 inch deformation vs. the 1.5 many other brands offer (10 years). But the 101 satisfaction guarantee with no return fees is something that is very rare. I will update the review if things change.

My background: I replaced a 25 year old mattress (used as a spare guest mattress for about 4 of those years) but I had a king expensive one (major manufacturer) that ended up dented and hard on each side after only a few years. I may have been able to replace it under warranty but my back hurt so much from it, I didnā€™t want anything to do with it. My wife at the time then got a sleep number which was OK but felt like a nice air mattress, no real contouring support. She didnā€™t mind it and kept the sleep number. I went back to my old mattress but with a gel foam topper installed off and on. Not bad with the topper but way too sore without it. Old bed was hard with box spring. At least it stayed level and flat. Other than that, I am an airline pilot and so have slept on hundreds of different mattresses. I definitely know what I donā€™t like, and have learned to sleep on the side of the mattress away from the nightstand with the phone on it in hotel rooms (thereā€™s usually a dent on the phone side, since thatā€™s where people usually sleep for some reason).
The new bed is a queen. I sleep alone these days so I use the whole mattress. I think my old crappy king was more susceptible to the denting because my wife (at the time) and I didnā€™t sleep as close together on that one because it was a big king.
I thought I would prefer plush mattresses when I started shopping but no, they were too soft down deep. I liked firm or ā€˜luxury firmā€™ but with a softer top (not pillow tops though, those were too mushy).
Online, I disregarded all-foam mattresses for now because I just havenā€™t tried enough of them to find one I liked. Online ones were confusing to me when shopping for them. I just donā€™t have enough experience to compare them in my mind and like I said I didnā€™t try enough locally to find one I enjoyed, and then replicate online. I have slept on a couple for a few nights but my memory of them was the sand feeling people talk about. They are comfortable to me, I just like the feel of the spring type right now.
I looked at Saatva but they donā€™t work on an adjustable foundation. Plus some reviews questioned their quality control.
Winkbedsā€™ no questions asked return policy seemed risk free, but warranty for a 2 inch dent worried me a little. They are very new so no long term tests are out there. I guess weā€™re all in it together. But it seems like there really isnā€™t any magic bullet when it comes to mattresses. I think many dedicated mattress review sites are a crock. No negative commentary on any of their reviews (video reviews as well), but people have the same type of complaints for all of them despite that it seems, with all-foam winning most consumer reviews. The mattress underground is clearly legit tho, and armed me with enough information to make an informed decision. I was very worried my bed would show up and I would hate it. Iā€™m glad thatā€™s not the case.

Thanks to Phoenix for hosting this website!

Hi Ajblood,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with Winkbeds in such detail ā€¦ I appreciate it.

You can see some comments about the quality/durability of the materials in the Winkbeds in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic along with post #2 here. It certainly uses higher quality and more durable materials than the Beautyrest Black mattresses you were testing. It also sounds like itā€™s a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP as well which is great to hear.

Most importantly ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I already know its a well thought out and well built mattress. Im hoping to get a report from someone who went from the medium to the soft version. Everyone seems to review the medium which is to be expected.
Don

Hi earlds,

I think you were replying to this post?

The medium is the most popular in the Winkbeds lineup, which is usually the case with most simplified choice products. As with all peopleā€™s opinions/experiences here on the site, Iā€™ll always advise caution in the applicability of one personā€™s experience as a reliable indicator of how someone else will feel or respond on the same mattress, due to the large differences in individual preferences, sleeping styles, BMIs, somatotypes, levels of health, strength, flexibility, preexisting conditions, sensitivities, etc.

Phoenix

Has anyone with high BMI gotten a winkbed yet and can provide info? Iā€™m really interested, but at 40 BMI Iā€™d like specific information about how people of similar weights feel about the mattress.

Thank you!

Hi O_D_O,

[quote]Has anyone with high BMI gotten a winkbed yet and can provide info? Iā€™m really interested, but at 40 BMI Iā€™d like specific information about how people of similar weights feel about the mattress[/quote].

You can see some comments about the quality/durability of the materials in the Winkbeds in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic along with post #2 here. My concern, especially for someone of a higher BMI, would be the 2" of 1.5 polyfoam used in the upper layers. They have recently added a ā€œPlusā€ model for those over 300 pounds, which seems to add some latex and a zoned pocketed innerspring unit, but I donā€™t have complete specifications if they upgrade the polyfoam in this mattress or the amount/type of latex used.

As you may have read on my previous reply to earlds, Iā€™ll always advise caution in the applicability of one personā€™s experience as a reliable indicator of how someone else will feel or respond on the same mattress, due to the large differences in individual preferences, sleeping styles, BMIs, somatotypes, levels of health, strength, flexibility, preexisting conditions, sensitivities, etc.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick response! Iā€™ll skip the regular Winkbeds model and add calling them about their Plus model to my todo list.

Naturally another personā€™s experience isnā€™t going to be the same as mine. But theyā€™re useful points of data nonetheless.

Hi O_D_O,

Youā€™re welcome. Feel free to post back about any information youā€™re able to acquire about the Plus version of the Winkbeds and Iā€™ll be happy to comment upon it.

While I certainly understand you may consider other peopleā€™s opinions about a mattress ā€œimportant pieces of dataā€, I advise against such a viewpoint, as reviews or other peopleā€™s experiences in general wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone elseā€™s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar BMI range).

A better suggestion for you to consider would be to start by reading post #3 here that has more information and suggestions about higher BMIs. The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in the durability guidelines here.

Good luck with your research!

Phoenix

Hi,I am in a higher bmi and tried both the medium and soft version of the winkbed.My husband is in the normal bmi range and we found both versions too firm for us.We are both side sleeper and kept waking up with sore hips& shoulders.We gave each version about 30 days before returning.I thought the winkbed felt like a quality mattress.We needed to put two mattress covers on tbe winkbed to not feel the buttons on the top layer.What we really didnā€™t like is no handles on the side of the mattress to help rotate.It is a heavy mattress.Customer service was excellent from pre purchase through the return process

Hi Bestsleep1,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your experience, and Iā€™m sorry that your Winkbed didnā€™t work out well for you, but Iā€™m glad they were assistive with their customer service for you.

Your comments bring up an important point about how much the variability of oneā€™s personal preferences plays into the selection of a mattress, as for a higher BMI the ā€œsoftā€ version of the Winkbed would ā€œnormallyā€ be considered too plush. But nothing of course replaces your own personal testing.

Sore hips and shoulders can be the result of both a mattress that has ā€œtoo firmā€ of a surface comfort, as well as one that is ā€œtoo plushā€, and post #2 here discusses some of the more common reasons that people experience certain pains/symptoms with different sleep surfaces.

I think youā€™re referring to the circular quilting on the top layer of the mattress, as there are no tufts or ā€œbuttonsā€ on top of the mattress. Itā€™s a little unusual for someone to go to the extent of using two mattress covers (which will impact the overall feel of the mattress) to not feel the quilt pattern of a mattress, so this, along with the soft version of the Winkbed feeling ā€œtoo hardā€ for you, definitely points to a sensitivity to a plush surface comfort, and you may wish to consider items in the future using more point elastic materials in the upper comfort layers (memory foam or latex might be good choices) with a covering that eschews any quilting.

Good luck in your new search, if you havenā€™t already found a new mattress.

Phoenix

I heard back from Winkbeds about their Plus mattress, hereā€™s the response:

"In the WinkBed Plus, weā€™ve upgraded the components of the mattress to a more supportive and more durable design. We use two types of foams, Hypersoft and Latex, both of which are resilient and chosen for their durability qualities. When paired together, they are make for a very supportive, cool-sleeping, and contouring sleep surface. The Latex foam, which is not found on the standard model WinkBeds, adds significant support and durability to the mattress. We use the layer of Latex instead of the micro-coil layer which is found in our standard WinkBed, as it will provide better support and contour to a heavier user. The firmness of the WinkBed Plus is designed feel like a medium-firm, around a 6.5 out of 10, for someone around 300LBS.

The edge supports on the Plus model bed have also been upgraded from the standard model beds.

The Firmer model mattress uses the same pillow top layers as the Luxury Firm bed (instead of the high-density), but also uses the same zoned coil system as the Plus. The Firmer bed is going to feel like a 7 of 7.5 out of 10, with 10 being the most firm. The coil layers are very supportive, while the pillow top provides pressure point relief.

Specs:

• 6-Layer Hybrid spring/foam construction
  • Cover made from Tencel and strech-nit fabric
  • 1" Hypersoft and gel foam blend 1.5lb density 17 ILD
  • 2.5" C1 Mountain Top Latex which has an IFD/Density spec of 3.0 PCF and 12 IFD
  • 1" Lumbar Pad made from pre-compressed densified cotton.
  • Foam encased, individually wrapped, triple zone coil. A king has 1089 in this layer.
  • 2" Support foam 1.8LB density 28 ILD
  • -High density foam edge support 4.5 inch wide (1.8LB density and 65 ILD)"

Side note: It really bugs me to see manufacturers advertising foam edge support as a good thing. If itā€™s so much sturdier than springs and an edge frame, why not make the whole mattress out of it?

Iā€™m specifically looking for a non-foam mattress because I want non-foam edge support. My current mattress has sturdy edges that feels like some kind of actual steel wire frame and is basically bulletproof. This ā€˜high density foam edge supportā€™ is, pardon my language, b*******. If I wanted a plush edge that was prone to squishing under me, Iā€™d get an actual foam mattress and save the aggravation of trying to find an inexpensive quality innerspring. /rant

Between the price ($200 more) and the foam ā€˜edge supportā€™ even on the Plus model, it looks like Winkbeds is not the answer I was hoping for. This is getting kind of frustrating.