Wondering how much of a deal i got - need to compare my bed to name brand

So i got my new bed from Quality Sleep shop, and i wanted to see what the prices were when compared to comparable models from name brands. Here is exactly what i got in layers

starting from the bottom up, it’s

15 guage individual pocked coil
1 inch 24 ild latex
1 inch polyfoam 19 ild
Wool
Bamboo quilted cover

And then for the topper it’s

Bamboo quilted cover
Wool
5/8 inch polyfoam 19ild
3 inch latex 40 ild
5/8 inch polyfoam 19 ild
Wool
Bamboo quilted cover

after tax and with the low profile box spring the Total was $2037.23

It started as an Everlast, but i customized it a bit. I requested some materials they don’t normally work with, so it cost a bit more. I also had it modified about 1 month after using it to make it more firm. This involved making a whole new topper. The specs above are the final design.

What name brand models are comparable, and how much do they cost?

Hi cheesepuff,

There are really only two ways to make the kind of comparisons you are looking to make. The first is by price which would mean you would need to get all the specs of the mattress you purchased (including the quality/density of the polyfoam layers) and then look for a mattress that is close to identical to compare it to (I don’t have a list of mattresses based on specific designs) but this may take you many many hours and the odds are good that you won’t find a similar mattress anyway and in most cases you won’t be able to find out the quality specs of the mattresses you want to compare it to so the hours would be wasted anyway (most major manufacturers don’t disclose the quality of the materials they use in their mattresses so there is no way to really make meaningful comparisons).

The second way is to compare by quality. This means you could look at major brand mattresses that sell in the same price range as yours and then compare the quality of the materials as best you can (again most major manufacturers don’t disclose this but you can assume in most cases that any polyfoam is in a lower quality/density range).

The first way you would find your mattress has a lower price than similar mattresses (to the degree that you can compare them) and the second way you would find your mattress has better quality materials than major brands that have a similar price. Of course you would need to compare mattresses of the same size (you didn’t mention the size you purchased).

In addition to that of course there are many other parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that you would need to factor in as well (such as the value of customizing a design to your specific criteria or the ability to make any changes you may need to) that may be part of the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are important parts of your personal value equation.

Whichever way you decide to make value comparisons you will find you did very well.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Its been a few months now, and i do like the mattress. However, I notice one thing about it.

I am 300 pounds, so im not a light guy. My body leaves the side of the mattress i sleep on depressed after 2 days of use, so i have to switch to the other side after that to get the normal feeling back. and the cycle continues.

I do flip the topper every month, and then rotate the next, but i still have this issue.

Is there anyway to combat this? Its particularly in the section where my lower back is, which is where the heaviest part of my body is.

Hi cheesepuff,

The best source of help and information with these types of questions is usually the manufacturer who knows more about their mattresses and the specifics of the layers and materials than anyone but in looking at the materials in your mattress my guess would be that the wool could be part of this and this would be normal for wool layers (depending on the thickness of the wool). They will tend to even out to some degree with use but wool will compress about 30% or so over time and this is just part of how wool responds to compression forces.

The only way to combat this would be with changes in the materials that are contributing to the impression. Does it have any effect on your sleep quality (if it’s the wool this would be unlikely)?

It could also be partly from the lower ILD polyfoam or latex which can develop some impressions under heavier weight but I don’t know the density of the polyfoam and their experience with their materials could probably answer this more specifically than my speculation.

Phoenix