Wool blanket to protect mattress

Do you recommend a mattress protector to avoid sweat stains on the mattress?

If so what would be a good one that doesn’t trap heat?
i.e. I assume the “regular” mattress protector with some polyester layer probably prevent the body heat to disperse and lead to overheating?

Would a simple wool blanket do the trick?
e.g. Amazon.com

Hi Oceanik,

Yes. A mattress protector is important to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because most mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. They can be easily removed for washing and are usually designed to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

A wool quilted cotton protector would generally be the most temperature regulating but it will also have a slightly bigger effect on the feel of the mattress and would be less water resistant than a thinner mattress protector that has a semi breathable waterproof membrane.

A wool blanket is normally woven rather than needle punched or felted to densify it so it wouldn’t be as water resistant and it also may feel a little more prickly and not as soft as a wool quilted cotton protector or puddle pad. If you decided to go in this direction then it may be a good idea to felt the blanket to improve the water resistance.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix for this detailed and useful reply!

Do you have any recommendation for a decent (and cheap) mattress protector?
I don’t have a baby or pets who are going to pee on the bed and I want something that won’t add any heat.
I’m likely going for the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever.

Hi Oceanik,

[quote]Do you have any recommendation for a decent (and cheap) mattress protector?
I don’t have a baby or pets who are going to pee on the bed and I want something that won’t add any heat.[/quote]

I don’t have any specific recommendations but the only “cheap” mattress protectors would be the thinner membrane type of protectors that are listed in the previous post I linked. They would be “good enough” for most people in terms of temperature regulation and are the most common choice but for a few people people that are more on the oven end of the “oven to iceburg” range they may sleep a little warmer because the waterproof membrane is only “semi breathable”.

If temperature regulation is your biggest priority and you tend to sleep hot on mattresses that most people would be fine with in terms of sleeping temperature then one of the wool quilted cotton protectors would be more effective in terms of temperature regulation but of course they are more costly, are water resistant vs waterproof (which sounds like it would be fine for you) and will have a little greater effect on the feel of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

I’ll look at both options.