wool mattress pad over latex mattress

Hi Phoenix,
I ended up purchasing the Aloe Alexis from BB. We split the king into a comfort level 8 for me and a 5 for my husband. I have been trying all different types of combos with the 32, 28, 24, and 19 ild layers. I know you have recommended putting the bottom layer on top of the top layer ie: the 28ild on top of the 24ild for some people. What effect would this have? Also, I am looking at adding a wool mattress pad I found, a Denali Down Under wool mattress pad that is 1 1/4" thick. Would that be enough to help with any pressure point issues I have with my hips. Thanks for your insight.

Hi cownox,

This has the effect of creating a firmer sleeping surface but with some extra softness or “give” underneath. It can be good for people who like to sleep “on” their mattress a little more or who like the feel of a firmer sleeping surface but still need some additional softness underneath for extra pressure relief compared to the same ILD surface layer with a more traditional firmer layer underneath. Overall it would have some of the “feel” of sleeping on a firmer layer with a little more pressure relief and a different “feel”.

I don’t know if it would be “enough” for any specific person and there are different types of softness that people may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here) but in general wool will have a softer surface “feel” than foam and will add some additional “padding” under the hips that can create a little more softness and pressure relief under specific pressure points but it’s not as pressure relieving as soft foam overall and can reduce the ability of foam layers underneath it to compress and contour to the shape of the body. In other words it will have a combination of softer surface feel and firm up a softer foam layer underneath it. You can read a little more about wool toppers in post #3 here. The wool pile will matt down and compress and is less resilient than a wool batting.

Phoenix