Wool Mattress Pad Question/Advice

Yes, the breathability is why weā€™re sticking with wool/cotton. The question is whether the cotton terry cover combined with the less amount of wool (though how itā€™s applied inside the pad makes a difference) would be a better choice over the 45th Street Bedding pad? I see that the St. Dormeir is not returnable. Weā€™re obviously dealing with some variables that are unknown.

Hi Analog,

While I donā€™t have any personal experience sleeping on the St Dormeir ā€¦ if I personally was purchasing a cotton mattress protector that was quilted with wool that had the least possible effect on the layers or components underneath it then that would be my personal choice based on the comments and feedback of many knowledgeable people Iā€™ve talked with over the years that think very highly of it.

For those who want more of the benefits of sleeping on ā€œrelativelyā€ thicker layers of wool for the sake of sleeping temperature or just because they prefer the ā€œfeelā€ or more wool then a thicker mattress pad or protector would probably be a better choice for that person.

This would really be a preference issue and would depend on the tradeoffs that you were most comfortable with.

Phoenix

Well, that is wool for thought, to borrow a phrase. Man, the thought of paying about as much for a topper and pad as we spent the last time on the entire mattress/foundation!

Hi AnalogJ,

I certainly understand ā€¦ but I think that if a ā€œsleeping systemā€ provides you with the quality of sleep that each of us is looking for, there are no ā€œbetterā€ alternatives that give you what you are looking for or the ā€œfeelā€ and PPP that is important to you, and you can ā€œcomfortablyā€ afford it, ā€¦ then as I mentioned in another reply itā€™s ā€œworth itā€ over the course of time that you will be using it. :slight_smile:

Just think ā€¦ there are some people (although Iā€™m not in the fortunate position to be one of them) who gladly purchase a top end VI Spring or a Hastens (such as the Vividus here) or some other ultra premium mattress and spend multiple tens of thousands of dollars on their mattress and bedding and they couldnā€™t be happier with their purchase and would do the same thing all over again the next time they make a mattress purchase.

Some people will even spend more on their sheets than most people do on their mattress although once again Iā€™m not in the fortunate position to be one of them either.

Phoenix

Well we talked about selling the house and getting the Hastens. weā€™d be homeless, but weā€™d sleep well.

Hi AnalogJ,

Good one .

Thereā€™s also leaves, grass, and straw which are also natural materials and would be in a little lower budget range :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi all - forgive me if this is a bit of a tangent, but regarding the St. Dormeir, can we discuss - er - scent?

After reading all the posts on mattress protectors, I decided to get the St. Dormeir for our latex mattress from Flexus Comfort. Natural fibers, organic cotton, keeping cool, and low impact on the mattress feel were the criteria.

The St. Dormeir just arrived today. WHOA: this thing has an odor. It smellsā€¦ really odd. Like - kerosene? Lanolin? What is that? True, it comes in a plastic zip-bag, but I donā€™t knowā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s it. I washed it (would have anyway, before first time use) but it is still there.

Has anyone else ever had this experience with the St. Dormeir? If so, for the love of pete, will it go away?

Btw, totally agree: I wasnā€™t sure I was going to fit it in my washer; I definitely wouldnā€™t have been able to fit something with more wool content.

Not to mention the fur that fell off a mangy dog that will give it some loft.

Hi plinka,

[quote]The St. Dormeir just arrived today. WHOA: this thing has an odor. It smellsā€¦ really odd. Like - kerosene? Lanolin? What is that? True, it comes in a plastic zip-bag, but I donā€™t knowā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s it. I washed it (would have anyway, before first time use) but it is still there.

Has anyone else ever had this experience with the St. Dormeir? If so, for the love of pete, will it go away?[/quote]

Many wool products can have some initial smell from the lanolin that will dissipate over time and some people can be more sensitive to certain smells than others but I called a couple of people who I know sell them and neither of them had heard of any odor issues with the St Dormeir protector.

Your experience may just be an anomaly but both of them told me that if they had a customer that had a smell issue with one of them that they would probably just replace it. It may be worthwhile washing it a second time to see if the smell is reduced but if yours has a stronger smell than they normally have then it may be an idea to call the retailer where you purchased it and ask them if you can exchange it because your experience certainly isnā€™t the norm.

Phoenix

I donā€™t remember my Dormeir having a very strong door when it was new. I do remember it having a bit of one but not strong. But it has wool and any wool product is going to have a bit of wool smell. But I can assure you now the only time I smell anything is when I launder it and itā€™s still wet. Once it is dry and under my sheet I smell nothing/nada/zilch.

St. Dormeir is offered in two depths - one is 16" for mattresses up to 12", and a 24" one for mattresses larger than 12".

The cost difference is about 15 dollars.

The mattress weā€™re getting is 11" and the Sleeptek topper is listed as 1", though it seems a hair deeper than that. Iā€™m guessing that it will compress down.

My question is whether to go for the deeper pad or not, since weā€™re on the border of measurements.

Youā€™ll be fine with the 16" drop. We have a 12" mattress and we use the 16" drop Dormeir on it, no problem.

Thanks for the input, everybody, and Phoenix, thanks for making the calls to see what the vendors had to say. That was kind of you!

I did wash the St. Dormeir a second time and left it outside to air all day. The airing helped a lot.

Thereā€™s still a faint scent (I have downgraded it in seriousness from ā€œodorā€) but I think youā€™re all right, thatā€™s probably just its natural woolliness. Baaaaaa.

It feels really good on the bed. :slight_smile:

I ended up purchasing a St. Dormeir from Flobeds, a business member of this site. They donā€™t offer a website discount on anything but mattresses. They do, however, have this item in stock, so no long wait.

BTW, I called up my local Duxiana retailer, which carries the same item made for them, but under their name. They would have to get it from an out of state warehouse. Their price is about 20% more, plus shipping plus tax.

I got the 45th Street Bedding version of the pad. My wife and I ran our hands over it before sending it back. Iā€™ll concur that itā€™s probably thicker than a pad needs to be if it is only going to essentially serve as a pad. As a way to act as a pad AND add a wee bit of pressure relief, it would probably work well.

One of the people at Bedrooms & More acknowledged that the 45th Street Bedroom is essentially a copy of the Natura one. They had it created after Natura went out of business.

In the meantime, our Green Sleep Niu and foundation are to be delivered tomorrow.Weā€™re really looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Hi AnalogJ,

Thatā€™s good news ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when everything comes together and you can sleep on it ā€œalmostā€ as much as you must be :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey, Iā€™ll throw a mattress underground party and everyone can sleep on it.

Seriously, this is such a greater expenditure, Iā€™m certainly very curious whether a great night sleep is something you can throw money at. Our last mattress set with extra pillowtop? About a grand. This time around, with Green Sleep Niu, wood slat foundation, Sleeptek wool topper, and St. Dormeir mattress pad? ~$4200. Yoiks!

I do realize that in the longer run, swapping out a comfort layer when the time comes will be cheaper than replacing the entire mattress. Still, even though support layers are supposed to be relatively durable, my current mattressā€™s sides are misshapen.

Hi AnalogJ

You may need to up your budget a little and buy something like this first :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œplinkaā€ post=39335]Hi all - forgive me if this is a bit of a tangent, but regarding the St. Dormeir, can we discuss - er - scent?

After reading all the posts on mattress protectors, I decided to get the St. Dormeir for our latex mattress from Flexus Comfort. Natural fibers, organic cotton, keeping cool, and low impact on the mattress feel were the criteria.

The St. Dormeir just arrived today. WHOA: this thing has an odor. It smellsā€¦ really odd. Like - kerosene? Lanolin? What is that? True, it comes in a plastic zip-bag, but I donā€™t knowā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s it. I washed it (would have anyway, before first time use) but it is still there.

Has anyone else ever had this experience with the St. Dormeir? If so, for the love of pete, will it go away?

Btw, totally agree: I wasnā€™t sure I was going to fit it in my washer; I definitely wouldnā€™t have been able to fit something with more wool content.[/quote]

I just opened the Sleeptek 1000 wool topper. Thereā€™s definitely a barnyard smell, albeit a fairly mild one, right out of the gate. My wife, a knitter, will probably like it. If you count sheep to help you fall asleep, the scent should make it all the more vivid. I hope and assume it will go away.