Wool mattress pad

I’m really enjoying using my new Natura Wool Mattress Pad, and I thought I’d do a post about it here, since I’ve seen more MU reviews of the St. Dormeir Wool Mattress Protector.

I wanted the temperature regulating properties of wool, etc., but decided not to go for the St. Dormeir since I didn’t like the feel of the thick pile of cotton terry which is used on the top and sides (my local Duxiana store carries the St. Dormeir, so I tried it out there). This is just a personal preference, though, and the Dormeir seems like an excellent product overall.

The Natura wool mattress pad has a smooth cotton top and sides, and the wool is quilted within in a diamond pattern, similar in look to the polyester mattress pads I grew up using. I saw a post somewhere in which someone didn’t like the feel of the stitching, but it doesn’t bother me at all. If you do think the feeling of stitches might bother you, the Dormeir might be a better choice because the thick cotton terry seems to hide the stitching below.

Anyway, the Natura wool topper is thin and bends very easily with my latex topper below, but provides a beautiful extra touch of softness because of the wool, and I like the smooth cotton top. I’m definitely less humid throughout the night with the addition of the wool. My pad is just a water-resistant wool and cotton, but Natura also makes waterproof Deluxe protector with an additional membrane, which I think Phoenix has linked to in the past.

By the way, it seems like some of the local stores in my area are slowly stopping selling Natura products, maybe related to Natura’s 2012 bankruptcy and acquisition by a different company. The reason I mention this is that I found the Natura products sold at local stores at much lower/discounted prices than online, so it might be worth stopping by your local sleep shop if you’re interested.

Here is a link to the Natura wool pad:
http://www.naturaworld.com/products/washable-wool-filled-mattress-pad/
I also found these similar pads (fitted, appear to be thin, with wool quilted inside and a smooth cotton top–I’m sure there are others too):
https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/bedding/natural-mattress-pads

Cheers,
DahliaM

Hi DahliaM,

As you mentioned I do own the Natura Deluxe with the waterproof membrane which has the same diamond stitching pattern and it has held up well so far for about 3 years but if I had to do it over again I’d buy one without the membrane as I do believe it affects breathability.

Is this the one you have?

I think you’re right that they have lost a lot of business since their bankruptcy and there are many discounted prices available for them.

I had the FSF mattress pad linked (it’s made by Baronstyles) but I’ll also add the Suite Sleep and the Natura to the mattress protector list as well since both of these are good options … especially if there is a discounted price available. If you have the smartwash wool then yours has 10 oz /sq yd of wool and they also make an organic version which is a little thinner yet and has 6 oz/sq yd of wool (but isn’t washable).

Thanks for the feedback and the heads up about the Natura protectors at local stores as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Yes, the Natura Washable Wool Fitted Mattress Pad on Wayfair is the same one I have, and it’s about the same price as the one I got locally, so that’s good. One thing I do not understand is the first reviewer on Wayfair who says the skirt is made of Nylon – this is not true, the top of the pad and sides are all cotton. There is an elastic band on the very bottom which keeps the fitted skirt in place.

DahliaM

Hi DahliaM,

I see the customer comment about the nylon but I don’t think it’s accurate (it’s not part of the listing on the site). On mine the tag says that the skirt is 42% polyurethane (which would probably be the breathable membrane which extends down the sides), 29% cotton and 29% polyester (which would make the fabric itself a 50/50 polyester/cotton blend). Either way there is no nylon. The top shell material is 100% cotton and the filling is listed as 100% wool (sterilized).

Does your tag list the materials in the skirt?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

My tag doesn’t list materials in the skirt separately, but it does say the “Outershell” is 100% Cotton, and I assumed that meant the skirt as well as the top shell - and my partner and I both agree that the material on the skirt feels and looks like cotton (or at the least a cotton blend) - not nylon.

There is also a separate tag for the filling that states it is All new material consisting of: wool batting (sterilized), but I guess there is no dispute there :slight_smile:

DahliaM

Guys,

Is this Natura Matt Pad cool?

I sleep hot and have a crappy Walmart microfibre mattress pad.

I take it Microfiber sleeps hot?

Is the Natura you mention good for hot sleepers?

ANy other suggestions for a nice SOFT mattress pad that sleeps Cool?

THanks
Drewy

Hi drewy,

This would depend on the specifics of the microfiber and on the layers above and below the microfiber itself. There are many factors that combine together to regulate the temperature in a mattress (see post #2 here).

Microfiber can allow good airflow and can wick moisture but polyester fibers don’t absorb moisture into the fiber like natural fibers such as wool and cotton or even semi synthetic fibers such as viscose materials and in general natural fibers are better at regulating temperature than synthetic fibers. It would also depend on the thickness of the microfiber in the mattress pad and on how much it has compacted. Thicker layers of fiber that are less compacted over time will be softer than thinner or more compacted layers. If your microfiber mattress pad has a waterproof layer such as a polyester semi breathable membrane then this would restrict airflow through the material and would also have a warming effect on temperature for some people as well (see post #89 here about mattress protectors).

The Natura washable wool mattress pad doesn’t have a lot of wool in it so it wouldn’t be especially soft in terms of adding to pressure relief or padding pressure points but it also doesn’t have a waterproof membrane which would restrict airflow and wool is a better temperature regulator than polyester so it would probably help with temperature regulation more than your current mattress pad.

Thicker wool mattress pads or toppers would be softer and would probably regulate temperature better than a thinner mattress pad but wool in general won’t be as soft as a soft foam material and compressed wool can reduce the contouring effect of any foam layers underneath it. You can read more about wool mattress pads in post #10 here and wool toppers in post #3 here.

In general if you need a significantly softer sleeping surface I would consider adding a softer more pressure relieving foam material on top of your mattress and then using a wool mattress protector or mattress pad (not waterproof) for temperature regulation or alternatively using a thicker wool topper (which won’t likely feel as soft as foam but can help to pad some of the pressure points).

Phoenix

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I would like to update this thread with some new impressions and feedback for the Natura Washable Wool Mattress Pad.

After using it a little while more, I started feeling like I wasn’t sinking in enough to the latex, and wondered if the culprit could be my mattress protector, after some comments Phoenix made in another thread. I was sad because I really do like the Natura pad, and I think for many people it does work, including the manager of a local bedding store in my area, who says that she and her family use it and love it (which I think is true, not just marketing!)

When I first wrote this review, I thought the Natura wool pad added MORE softness, because the wool feels nice and fluffy - adding a layer of textural comfort beyond the bare latex. But…after some time, I believe this was more of a “surface feel.” Not sinking in quite enough on my upper body is a problem for me, as a side sleeper with upper back pain.

I then switched to a quilted cotton mattress pad (non-stretch) that I had from before I bought the Natura wool pad. That’s better, but the latex still feels so very much more squishy and soft when I lay on it with no mattress protector at all.

So, today I ordered a new cotton stretch protector from Suite Sleep, which is designed to move with the latex, and I believe will be much closer to the feeling on sleeping on bare latex (sinking in more). It will feel a little silly to have 3 mattress protectors, once the Suite Sleep one comes, but what can I say. At least one of them can go on the guest bed! I will update this thread with feedback for the Suite Sleep protector, once I have it:

Update #2: Really like the Suite Sleep cotton stretch protector, and I do sink down a little more into the latex with this type of protector. The Suite Sleep protector is soft, strong, and well made on top - my only criticism is that it would preferable if the thick stretch material extended down the sides of the protector instead of just the top. There is a thinner sheet-like cotton material on the sides.

It’s interesting how much of a difference in “feel” different protectors have. I’m happy to use the Suite Sleep for now, as my shoulders like sinking right into the latex. Might have to go back to wool in the summer, for temperature regulation.

Hi DahliaM,

I think that bedding in general but especially mattress protectors (and mattress pads) are often a “forgotten” part of a sleeping system and as you mention it can be surprising how much of an effect they can have (along with the mattress cover and quilting).

It’s easy to get caught up in just the foam layers of a mattress and I appreciate the reminder that every part of a sleeping system can have an effect on feel and performance.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It especially has a great effect once you get yourself hyper-attuned to the differences in pressure relief with different coverings, beddings, etc. - for better or for worse :slight_smile:

In my experience, my degree of muscle tenseness before going to bed will also be a major factor in how much small differences in pressure relief will be noticeable to me.

Related to that, I found an article on Stress & Sleep from tmasc.ca interesting - it states that people who suffer from stress often have sensitive pressure points when they sleep. I wonder what the physiology of this is, and if this is the same reason that I have seen wool fleece pads recommended for people who suffer from fibromyalgia - any thoughts on this? Or previously written MU articles you could point me to?

Thank you,

DahliaM

P.S.- Here is the full tmasc.ca article on Stress & Sleep, for those interested:
http://www.tmasc.ca/blog/2013/05/27/stress-and-how-it-affects-sleep/

Hi DahliaM,

The overall physiology of stress is probably outside the scope of a mattress forum (and can be a whole field of study in itself) and I’m certainly not a doctor that is qualified to speak in any detail about it but in general it can cause or aggravate more sleeping symptoms than almost anything else. Emotional or psychological stress is almost always accompanied by physical stress and muscle tension which in turn can lead to many symptoms on a mattress (and many other non mattress symptoms as well). Stress can restrict blood flow in the skin and surface tissues to allow the blood flow to better support the deeper muscles and tissues which in turn could lead to pain, soreness, or stiffness from reduced blood flow or restricted movement and can also cause muscle soreness from muscles that remain tense and “ready for action” and aren’t allowed to relax, rest, and recover or joint tissues that aren’t able to rehydrate and regain their natural flexibility.

People who suffer from elevated stress of any type (physical, psychological, or emotional) often have sleeping issues of many types. While stress is one of those “catch all” descriptions that can cover just about anything, it can (and usually does) lead to muscle tension and rigidity and lack of flexibility which in turn can lead to soreness and excess pressure because the body is “holding” itself in a less flexible and more rigid position that can change the pressure distribution throughout the body. It can also lead to the inability to relax enough to reach the deeper more healing levels of sleep.

I think the article says it as well as I could and there is a post I linked here in the tutorial post from one of the members who is an athlete and personal trainer which I also thought was very informative.

I also think that one of the benefits of wool or other soft fluffy fibers or feathers is that it can provide a “feel” softness (see post #15 here about the different types of softness) which can be comforting and relaxing emotionally which in turn can help people relax even if it doesn’t directly improve pressure relief. A better microclimate in terms of temperature and moisture can also help the autonomic nervous system to slow down as well. They also provide a more “relaxed” sleeping surface where shear forces are less (the type of forces that are in the same direction as the mattress surface and can “pull” on the skin or surface tissues) which can also help the body and surface tissues to relax especially for those who may be more sensitive.

Phoenix

Dahlia, thanks for the update and info - I also have three toppers on the bed… ahh well. This princess can’t sleep if there is a pea in the bed. Pain is a very insistant alarm clock.

I was looking at protectors also and after your update, this one has my attention - thicker material all over. https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-toppers/organic-cotton-matelasse-knit-mattress-protector--best-seller

Phoenix, love the info on stress and the body - we are wondrous creatures, complicated and searching for something as simple as sleep has become a major ordeal for many. This site rocks.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=28549]

I also think that one of the benefits of wool or other soft fluffy fibers or feathers is that it can provide a “feel” softness (see post #15 here about the different types of softness) which can be comforting and relaxing emotionally which in turn can help people relax even if it doesn’t directly improve pressure relief. A better microclimate in terms of temperature and moisture can also help the autonomic nervous system to slow down as well. They also provide a more “relaxed” sleeping surface where shear forces are less (the type of forces that are in the same direction as the mattress surface and can “pull” on the skin or surface tissues) which can also help the body and surface tissues to relax especially for those who may be more sensitive.

Phoenix[/quote]

I think you might mean “sheer” forces, but perhaps, with wool, you are thinking of ‘shear forces.’ B)

Hi AnalogJ,

Yes … I did mean shear forces which are forces that are more sideways (like rubbing your hand across a sticky surface that pulls at the skin) as opposed to compression forces which are perpendicular to the mattress.

Phoenix