Wool Mattress protector to help with temperature for Latex bed suggestions

Hi mike7,

In addition to what Daniel has written, who knows far more than I, this is my experience.

I know the “theory” of wool, which no doubt you do also… Which is that it absorbs moisture and releases moisture so you stay dry, which helps to regulate temperature and keep you in a comfortable zone - not too hot, not too cool. It creates a microclimate around you. Now… As to how much wool is required for this to occur, I have no idea. For me, this is what I have, and have found:

1. My mattress case, part of my green sleep Vicence bed, has 1500 grams per sq meter of wool which is about 45 oz wool per sq yard. I do not know if that’s all in the top, or if it’s split between top and bottom (and if split, if equally split or more in top).

2. My mattress is such that i sleep ‘on the mattress’, and less ‘in the mattress’. In my experience, the deeper you sleep in the mattress the hotter it will feel, regardless of material.

3. I have linen sheets and a wool duvet, also to keep cool.

4. I have air conditioning and keep the house cold at night.

Given the above, I found my mattress slept very cool… I normally am a furnace, and I actually have needed to add a second duvet at times.

1. I added a 3" wool topper. My review of it is here:
    https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sleeptek-classic-2000-3-wool-topper-review

This topper added another 1800 grams per square metre or about 53 oz per sq yard of wool. Since it added extra padding that I sank deeper into, I felt it made me feel warmer (which was desirable). More of a temperature regulated nicely warm. Note however that I said warmer, as some people think wool exclusively means colder. My review might also show what changes in feel you might expect. I would imagine any wool mattress pad will have a similar effect in feel, increasingly so he more wool you add, including the natura.

By contrast, the st Dormeir has 250 grams per square meter of wool, or about 7.5 oz per square yard. My mattress has 6 times that alone, and the topper I have adds another 7 times that amount of wool. So I have 13 times more wool than the st Dormeir alone. Therefore, i don’t know specifically what a mattress with, and without, the st dormier is like. I can only suggest that you’d have to try to determine the outcome for yourself.

I do use a st Dormeir pillow protector on my down pillow… It does change the feel, in a way I happened to like and prefer (in spite of the fact that terrycloth isn’t a feel that I really like alone, but once under a pillow case i certainly don’t feel the aspects of terry that I don’t like). It does make my down pillow cooler I find.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t even guess what or how wool, or the st Dormeir in particular, would be perceived by you. But maybe my experiences help! :slight_smile: