Wool or down comforters?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced quality wool or down comforter that has held up well? Tired of these alternative material comforters that don’t last.
I need something hypoallergenic that sleeps cool because it’s going on a memory foam bed that can sleep hot
Thanks.

Hi Ari,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced quality wool or down comforter that has held up well? Tired of these alternative material comforters that don’t last.
I need something hypoallergenic that sleeps cool because it’s going on a memory foam bed that can sleep hot[/quote]
While it’s not my area of specialty, and comforters would also be a matter of personal preference and of course the conditions in your bedroom, there is some good information about comforters (including wool) in this topic and this topic and this topic and in post #24 and onwards here and this topic that may be helpful.

This article and this article also have some very useful comparisons and information as well.

Post #3 here, while it is more about toppers, has some excellent sources for wool products.

For hot sleepers I would suggest either wool or silk with a lighter fill and less loft.

Phoenix

Thank you ! I think wool is the best choice for me, they are just so expensive and all of them seem to be final sale as soon as you open the package. If anyone can recommend a medium weight wool comforter I’d appreciate it.

Hi Ari:

I did a quick look through the extensive list I provided you and I found many wool comforters in the $200-$400 range. I’m not sure what size bed you have or what you consider “too expensive”, but lower priced items will tend to be mostly synthetics with a little wool blended in, which i know is what you are trying to avoid.

Phoenix

I want the holy lamb organic for 410 for a queen but I can’t afford it lol so I’m thinking sleep & beyond merino wool comforter . Stop me if sleep & beyond is a bad brand choice . It’s not cheap but it is not 3 or 400 either. While organic it is not made in the USA ! It seems any organic wool made in the USA is very expensive.
Thank you!

Hi Ari,

If you read through my earlier reply, you’ll see that Sleep & Beyond was listed in post #3:

https://sleepandbeyond.com/ Manufacturer that makes a mattress pad/topper produced in the Kyrgyz republic in central Asia using locally raised Merino wool and quilted in an organic cotton jacquard. They sell their products direct but their retailers generally have a better price than is listed on their website (a fairly common practice for manufacturers who also sell through retail outlets). Good quality and value although they only make one model. They use 8 lbs of wool (queen size). NOTE: they have now added some new products that use Shropshire wool … see post #20 here .

I don’t have any personal experience with Sleep & Beyond, so you’d want to phone them to get complete information about this topper. They list that their products are third party certified, but they don’t list the actual certifications for this particular item. This is listed at $319 on their site for a full/queen at 15 oz./yd2. I’m unaware of any blend that may or may not be in their product.

While there are suppliers of GOTS certified wool in the USA, I would also keep in mind that some of the non organic wool that you will find (such as Eco-Wool) is also a very high quality material so you may not wish to exclude it.

Phoenix

I did read through your post and saw the info regarding sleep & beyond
I appreciate your comment about eco-wool as I was unsure if that was something I should consider
Thanks for all your help

Hi Ari,

You’re most welcome!

Phoenix

Hi Ari,

In my opinion, you should go with Holy Lamb… “organic” certification is very complicated when it comes to wool and Eco-Wool is every bit as high quality… I don’t feel there’s any wool that’s “higher quality” and more naturally processed than that sourced by Holy Lamb, although I’m sure there are comparable sources.

Perhaps more notable, many would argue that it’s even more important the wool is sourced in the U.S.- I’ve been told the containers used to ship imported wool have to be fumigated and residual chemicals can settle into the wool fibers, so this could be a consideration even if the wool itself is organic. By the same token, proponents of natural/organic wool sourced domestically often do not advocate wool treatments to make it “washable”, regardless of how “safe” the processing is advertised to be by the companies selling those products. Personally, I wouldn’t be too concerned about saving a little money and using a washable wool comforter instead of all natural/untreated but at the same time, I’d rather spend a little bit more money on all-natural/organic. It may also be worth noting the Holy Lamb comforters can be washed… it’s just not going to be as easy as a comforter with treated wool.

This brings us to my last point- you may want to consider the Holy Lamb “Cool Comfort” weight instead of the “Perfect Comfort”… this along with everything else I’ve written above is from personal experience. I’ve been sleeping with the Holy Lamb PC for the past couple years and it’s pretty heavy/substantial… the weight will be comparable to the S&B organic and the S&B may be even heavier. I’d expect the Holy Lamb CC to be comparable if not slightly heavier than the S&B washable comforter with each having approximately 3.3 lbs of wool fill (9 oz/yr2 for the S&B which translates to ~3.2 lbs for an 86" x 86" size, which both are). Being a warm sleeping/warm-blooded type, I recently decided to get the Holy Lamb CC… especially encased in a duvet cover which will add even a little more weight/warmth, it should be more than substantial for cold temperatures (I’m in the northeast so have “real” winter) but light enough for warmer weather.

All that said, it’s not my intent to shamelessly promote Holy Lamb… if you don’t care as much about the natural/processing “factors”, the S&B washable comforter is offered at a great price for the full/queen on the Good Night Naturals site (you would probably want the “light” fill weight of 9 oz/yr2 per above). However, if you’d rather go the natural route, I’d suggest calling Holy Lamb directly and see if they have any promotions and/or will offer a discount (on top of the CC already being less expensive than the PC).

Hope this helps!

Hi Manimal
Thank you for the information! It’s funny I keep going back to the holy lamb page.

I’m in NYC so maybe our climates are similar.

I was unsure what weight to go with so thank you for your insight! I have a brand new organic cotton duvet ready and waiting lol

You’re welcome and I’m in the burbs… only a 30 minute train ride from NYC… too funny :slight_smile:

I grew up in the burbs! On the north shore. Still miss it!

I would definitely recommend going with a summer weight over a winter or all season weight comforter. I’m in northern Canada and I sleep under a summer weight Natura wool comforter (sadly, no longer available) all year round. With HVAC, we keep our house at 70F year round.

Very helpful! Thanks for the recommendation

Hi Manimal and magpie,

Thank you very much for your recommendations for Ari. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=70152]Hi Manimal and magpie,

Thank you very much for your recommendations for Ari. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you all! I’m going to go with the Holy Lamb cool comfort and I will let you all know how it works out :slight_smile:

Hi Ari,

Congratulations on your new comforter purchase! I see you went with the 9 oz/yd2 weight that Manimal recommended - very nice.

Phoenix

This turned into a fiasco. I ordered the perfect weight holy lamb wool comforter.
I think the perfect weight was a good choice.
Too bad I never even unwrapped it from the pretty bow that was tied around it.
The problem is the SMELL. As soon as it came out of the box I knew I was in trouble. If you are sensitive to smells wool maybe is not for you it seems, the lanolin in it blah blah blah. I called Holy lamb and they said it is quite possible it will always smell so I have to return it

That is such a shame. It is unfortunate that Natura discontinued their summer weight comforter because there was never any wool odour with it. Perhaps because they use a heavy cotton cover for their comforters - can’t say. But I do find their all season one is a bit too warm and we only use it in the basement guest room. I don’t know who else to recommend.

Most people don’t eve notice the smell I’m sure. I just happen to be very sensitive and allergic to odors.