Wool topper on latex bed

Hi Phoenix,

Your site has been an amazing boon to my librarian heart. Great information, carefully explained, and without any biased information. After much reading, research both online and in store, we are pretty sold on the Dormio (Toronto) products. The testing experience there was great, down to the fact that the lights are carefully directed away from one’s eyes when lying on a bed and that Lance initiated the discussion around spinal alignment and impact of the different densities.

We are thinking about the Euro firm bed but are worried about the super longevity of the latex versus the less than super longevity of our aging bodies. Will we be able to compensate for a bed we find too firm in several years with a wool pad/mattress topper or should we err on the side of softer with the medium topper?

Thanks so much for all your work.

Hi sea,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate them.

I would always choose a mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) at the time you are purchasing it and would tend to avoid buying a mattress based on how you will sleep on it in the future because this will always be uncertain and difficult to predict.

If you have the choice between two mattresses or two configurations and BOTH of them are an equally good match for you in terms of PPP and you really can’t tell which one is better for you in terms of either your needs or preferences … then (and only then) I would tend to err on the side of firmness because the mattress will soften and break in slightly and because it’s easier to “fix” a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper than to “fix” a mattress that is too soft which generally requires the removal and replacement of the layers that are too soft rather than adding something on top of them.

There is also more about wool toppers in post #8 here and I would keep in mind that a wool topper will tend to feel firmer than soft latex so it can lead to a firmer sleeping surface if you have soft latex underneath it or a softer sleeping surface if you have firmer latex underneath it.

You are certainly working with some very knowledgeable people and are looking at a high quality mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix