Wool Topper

Question, if I may: Having recently purchased a Sleep on Latex 9" soft mattress, Im now looking to add a non-latex topper and considering wool. Why? Though loving the green nature of latex, I’m finding it’s buoyancy to be SLIGHTLY unstable with a sense of rolling over when sleeping on my side. I generally like latex, this being my first experience, but to be happy I need to add a natural topper to create additional softness with a slight sense of “body hugging” or cradling. The cradling to lessen the unstable feeling I get on natural latex and the softness for POSSIBLE pressure point improvement and plushness. I know that the topper will flatten with use, but I’m hoping it will accomplice my objective detailed above while not compromising support when laying on my back.

Proposed:
9" soft SOL mattress (soft but surprisingly supportive)
3" Wool topper
Legget & Platt adjustable bed

Will the addition of wool be a good choice?

Hi shubox56,

Latex is quite point elastic and allows you to be cradled, but it may be that with the combination that you’ve chosen, along with what you’ve been used to previously, that you’re desiring something with a little more surface tension or something that “feels” as if it is holding you in place better. Wool certainly can be a good choice for something like this.

Wool will provide extra comfort, and overall it would probably “slightly” firm up the surface feel of our mattress, but you would still experience the contouring of the latex beneath. There is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

[quote]Proposed:
9" soft SOL mattress (soft but surprisingly supportive)
3" Wool topper
Legget & Platt adjustable bed
Will the addition of wool be a good choice?[/quote]

Just like selecting your mattress, this would come down to your own personal preference, but adding the wool topper as you propose certainly could help address come of your concerns. Many people prefer the feel of wool on top of latex, as well as polyfoam and even memory foam.

Phoenix

Great info and I found the links helpful. One of the links mentioned the LaNoodle which is an interesting product. In some respects, this could be a decent choice. It sounds like the topper would be softer than my 2" comfort layer (20 ILD @ 4lbs) with latex pieces that potentially could shift around body parts to increase stability and add plushness. I’m not sure if I’m out in left field with my thinking?

One other thing — though my soft latex mattress is just that, soft, I still get shoulder discomfort when laying on my side. This too, is a reason for considering a topper.

It’s seems difficult to adjust this mattress to give a little more POINT pressure relief without compromising support. This is an important consideration since I do plan on spending some time on my back once I receive my adjustable bed.

The LaNoodle has been added to my list of possibilities while still researching the wool option.

Many thanks!

Hi shubox56,

A small amount of extra surface “fluffiness” may be obtained by using a simple featherbed or fiberbed (like a down replacement). If you desire just a bit more surface comfort, something like a shredded latex topper or wool can do the trick without creating “too much” extra surface comfort material that could increase your comfort cradle to the point where you would be concerned with negatively amending alignment.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info. I did email the LaNoodle follks and posed similar questions. See what they recommend.

Regarding the feather bed option: I was under the impression that they flatten out so badly under the weight of a body to be near worthless. Maybe I’m offbase? The feather beds seem to be cheaper on average which is always a good thing.

Hi shubox56,

As you’re probably aware, CozyPure is a site member here, and I think highly of the advice they provide and their products. I’m sure they’ll be able to answer your questions. Cheryl Hahn, the owner of CozyPure, talks about the LaNoodle topper in this video, which I think is informative as well.

In case you haven’t already seen it, there’s more detail about featherbeds in this post. Featherbeds can be any combination of feathers and down, and depending upon the fill power, fill weight, and feather/down ratio, the comfort of the topper can be varied. This can add a small amount of extra surface plushness, and indeed you would want to “fluff up” the product frequently, and even rehydrate the down over time.

Phoenix