x

[x

Hi john90803,

There are some suggestions in the help tab here that may be helpful if you are having trouble attaching a file to your post (document is now added)

You also need to disclose any of your own industry affiliations to post on the forum (see the forum rules here).

In looking at the Berkeley Ergonomics website here … it appears that they are claiming that their covers are made with organic cotton and organic wool. Is this what you are having an issue with? I don’t see any claims that their latex or that their mattress is organic.

As to the “value” of their mattresses … that is a more subjective assessment that would be based on each person’s criteria. As you know they have more than one mattress (including a mattress that uses 8" of latex and other components such as microcoils) and based on your type of “reductionist” analysis any mattress (including any mattresses that you may be selling yourself) could be presented in a light that it wasn’t “worth it”.

I do agree with you that the use of “organic” terminology in the industry is often misleading and can certainly be confusing and as you know there are “levels” of organic certifications (see post #2 here). I would also hazard a guess that most consumers that are looking for “organic” are really looking for “safety” but that … and many other false claims and misleading information in the industry … is an issue industry wide.

Phoenix

xx

Hi John,

I’ve added the second document you sent me to your original post as well.

It actually comes from the BE website itself and makes clear that their cover is “made from” organic wool and cotton which appears to be an accurate claim to me.

Perhaps I’m just missing the point you are trying to make or why you are on such a vendetta against BE when their own website makes clear that their cover is “made from” organic wool and cotton. It also makes clear that the mattress itself isn’t organic (there is no Talalay latex that is certified organic).

If you believed that the mattress wasn’t “good value” by the criteria that were important to you then I don’t know why you would have purchased it. There are many others that hold a very different opinion … especially when they are compared to mainstream manufacturers.

Your post has more of the “tone” of someone that is trying to damage the reputation of a competitor and you are alleging that they are making claims that based on their own website they don’t seem to be making.

Phoenix

xx

Hi john90803,

In your original post you alleged that Berkeley Ergonomics was making claims that either their mattresses or their covers are organic but the attachments that you provided makes clear that Berkeley Ergonomics aren’t making this claim and are even going out of their way to make clear that their mattresses aren’t organic.

The only claim that I can see that they are making is that their covers are “made from” organic plein-air wool and organic cotton. In other words the only thing that they would need to validate is that both of these claims are accurate (that the wool and cotton they are using to make their covers are organic).

If a salesperson told you that the mattress itself was certified organic then they are clearly wrong and you would have good reason to be upset with that specific salesperson or the store you were dealing with that misrepresented their product … but this isn’t coming from Berkeley Ergonomics itself and your comments seemed to be directed to BE more than to a specific store or salesperson that was making claims that are in conflict with the BE website and possibly even their own website as well.

Phoenix

Ok i see what you are saying…We did not mean to imply that Berkeley claimed the entire mattress is organic. I will correct that in our first post right now. It was the dealer that told us the ENTIRE mattress was organic. We could provide you about 20 examples of the dealers false advertising and misleading emails if you wanted to see them but that is not what our post is about. If you would like us to remove that sentence we will.

Our post is just about BE not backing up their CERTIFIED organic claim to their mattress COVER.

So, to clarify, Berkeley never claimed the ENTIRE mattress was organic. They are just claiming the cover is certified organic, but won’t produce the documents to prove it!

The dealer is the one that mislead that the entire mattress was organic, not BE.

What this comes down to is, Berkeley claiming that their covers are organic, yet they apparently can not provide any kind of certification that verifies this fact.

YES! Thank you.

Hi gme109,

Based on what I read on their website … what they are claiming is that the cover is “made from” organic wool and organic cotton … not that that the cover itself is certified organic. What they would need to be able to validate their claim is to show that the cotton and wool they are using to make their cover is organic … not that the cover itself is organic (which may or may not be the case depending on whether the cover itself was certified).

I know this may seem to be a small point of differentiation but there are different “levels” of certification that start with a certification for the raw agricultural materials (which can be USDA certified) and then go “up the line” to certifications for the components themselves and even to the mattress “as a whole” which can only be GOTS certified because the USDA doesn’t certify actual products as being organic.

I certainly realize that all of this can be very confusing but it’s important that allegations are based on accurate information as well so that any criticism is accurate and “fair”.

Phoenix

I know when it comes to food products, they can not state on the label that something is Organic, unless it’s Certified Organic.
I’ve spoken to a few food manufactures that have told me that their product is indeed organic, put they haven’t yet gotten the Certification, so it can not be labeled as such. I would imagine the same rule applies to mattress manufactures as well, they can not label their product as organic, unless it’s been Certified. But I guess this doesn’t apply to making that statement on a website.

Thank you gme109!!!

Just because the cover is not Certified Organic, doesn’t mean it’s not Organic, but you would have to take the manufactures word on that.

When the word ‘certified’ is used, the certification needs to be available upon request. No other firm has a problem when asked.

Someone at one of the certifying firms said it best; “you can’t claim what you can’t prove”.

Phoenix, on this site, has been so annoying we don’t even care anymore. He went on, and on, and on, in emails to us how he is certain we are 'in the mattress industry" and have a vendetta against BE, because consumers “don’t make posts like ours”.

We totally regret posting on the site.

Happy holidays to all.

Hi gme109 and john90803,

There is more information in post #2 here and the post it links to about organic certifications and what can and can’t be labelled as organic.

Organic certifications for foods are different from organic certifications for textiles although both of them can be somewhat confusing. There are different “types” of organic certifications for textiles while food is all USDA certified through the NOP (National Organic Program) run by the USDA.

Phoenix

Hi john90803,

The content of the emails we exchanged was very similar to my comments on this thread and once again you are misrepresenting their content. You are free to post our entire email exchange in this topic if you wish.

I can also restore the content of your original posts before you deleted them if you wish so that the context and information that they were referring to is also clear.

The focus of this site is accuracy and balance so that the members that post here are just as accountable for the content of what they post or the allegations and claims they make as they would want the retailers and manufacturers that they purchase from to be.

Phoenix

Seems like all that BE has ever claimed is that the cover is “made from” organic materials. Did they ever have anything posted anywhere that said the cover was “certified organic?”

I didn’t see the phase “Certified Organic” anywhere on their site.

Here is the description of their latex mattress.

Choice of solid or gently zoned 6" support core made from 100% natural Talalay latex
2" of 100% natural Talalay latex comfort layer
Breathable organic cotton cover quilted to pure organic wool for a cool, dry sleep climate
Certified healthy components
Motion free gentle support
Durable and consistent over time
Free from synthetics and fillers
Dual-sided firmness option for couples
Four firmness options per model

If a mattress or cover is certified organic, I would imagine you’d see one of these labels on the mattress or displayed on a website.