y.o.u mattress

Anyone know anything about y.o.u mattresses in the UK?

http://www.youmattress.co.uk/
breasleyconsumer.co.uk/you.html

A dealer said something about them being a subsidury of a US company or the mattresses are a UK version of a US design, but theirs no mention of this on their site.

They are a mattress in a box with a 100 night guarantee , but not a simplified choice, there are 10 different models, with “ConiCoil” pocket springs (whatever that means?!!).

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: breasleyconsumer.co.uk/you.html

Hi paddyb,

They don’t have a lot of information about their mattresses on either site but they are made from some combination of latex, memory foam, microcoils, and polyfoam. There are a few more details about their different models here. The microcoils and latex would be good quality and durable materials but I would want to know the density of any memory foam or polyfoam in any of their mattresses that you are considering to make sure their are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bed-post.co.uk/mattresses/pocket-sprung-mattresses/breasley/prodlist_apct488bd193.htm

I don’t know how knowledgeable their customer service representatives are but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

ConiCoil pocket springs are versions of microcoils. There is more about microcoils that are used in comfort layers in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I’ve already asked them about the materials and go this back:

You have recently expressed interest and more information on our YOU collection.

This is a range of 10 mattresses, offering three different pocket spring counts – 1000, 2000 & 3000 (equivalent to in a 150cm size). The ‘ConiCoil’pocket springs are designed exclusively for Breasley.

Each spring count has the option of a top comfort layer of high density support foam, ViscooolÂŽ (next generation memory foam) or latex.

Each model is numbered from 1 to 10, and the ‘number 10’ is a combination of all three comfort layers (high density foam being the foundation of the mattress) with no pocket springs.

Yes, the spring range is the same, apart the count. The feel/firmness is dependent on the combination of the springs and the comfort layer chosen, so is different with each mattress.

The latex we use in our mattresses is manufactured by Latexco, and is a natural/synthetic blend.

I’m not sure how much this is telling us? The Latex is blended. Not sure what she means by the springs are 150cm in size, I think she means mm? What is Viscool, is this just another brand of memory foam, can you tell anything about the quality from this?

They could do with publishing a chart showing the difference between all 10 models. They are not an online company and are sold through many different retailers who all provide slightly different information. From memory, all the latex ones are rated as firm, which will be too hard for me.

Thanks for the info on mircrocoils, so these are used in the comfort layers, not the support, so must be very different from normal pocket springs?

Would this mattress, which is also supplied compressed in a box have the same sort of springs:
https://www.woods-furniture.co.uk/brands/woods-collection/bliss/mattress-soft/

Hi paddyb,

Unfortunately they don’t provide the most important information that you would need to know to be able to identify whether there are any lower quality/density materials or weak links in the mattress or make any meaningful comparisons with other mattresses … and in particular I would want to know the thickness and density of all the memory foam and polyfoam layers in the mattress. Without the information in this article (particularly the thickness and density of any memory foam and polyfoam layers) it’s really not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials and components in the mattress or the mattress “as a whole” I certainly wouldn’t consider purchasing any mattress where this information wasn’t easily available because it would be a very risky choice in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Any type or blend of latex and the microcoils would be a durable material but a mattress is only as good as its weakest link regardless of the quality or durability of any other materials that may be in the mattress. I would also think that the thickness of the microcoil would be 150 mm (it certainly wouldn’t be 150 cm). Viscool would just be a trade name for memory foam or gel memory foam.

They are similar to regular pocket coils but they generally use a higher gauge and thinner wire so they are softer (so they can be used as comfort layers), and are shorter, and often (but not always) will have a higher coil count than regular pocket coils that are used as the support core of a mattress. They come in a range of different designs that may be made by different pocket coil manufacturers and have different heights, gauge, and coil counts.

[quote]Would this mattress, which is also supplied compressed in a box have the same sort of springs:
www.woods-furniture.co.uk/brands/woods-c...bliss/mattress-soft/[/quote]

The page you linked doesn’t include any specific information about the individual materials and components in the mattress but based on the description this would almost certainly use a regular pocket coil as the support core of the mattress and I doubt that it contains a microcoil.

Phoenix

PS: The foam density guidelines for polyfoam and memory foam that are in the guidelines are expressed in lbs/ft3 while in the UK they would probably be expressed in kg/M3 so you can use the online density converter here to convert them from one to the other.

Just as a quick reference to help you translate some of the minimum densities in the quality/durability guidelines …

For Polyfoam:
1.5 lbs/ft3 = 24 kg/m3
1.8 lbs/ft3 = 29 kg/m3
2.0 lbs/ft3 = 32 kg/m3

For Memory foam:
4.0 lbs/ft3 = 64 kg/m3
5.0 lbs/ft3 = 80 kg/m3

Thanks Phoenix

I’ve emailed both companies asking for more detailed info on the materials.

Also, just wanted to ask if these look like a rebadged version of a US mattress as suggested by the dealer I spoke to, or was he misinformed (their website makes a big thing about the Britishness of the company).

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64464]Hi paddyb,

[quote]
For Polyfoam:
1.5 lbs/ft3 = 24 kg/m3
1.8 lbs/ft3 = 29 kg/m3
2.0 lbs/ft3 = 32 kg/m3

For Memory foam:
4.0 lbs/ft3 = 64 kg/m3
5.0 lbs/ft3 = 80 kg/m3[/quote]

What are the minimum acceptable densities.? Also for Latex if applicable please.

Hi paddyb,

I don’t know one way or the other.

I linked the guidelines in some of my previous replies but they are in post #4 here.

While different types and blends of latex can have different properties and be more or less costly … any type or blend of latex is a durable material and wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix