Yogabed - Another Online Hybrid Foam Shop

I’ve been laboring over the decision between Casper, Leesa & Tuft and Needle, when, in my searches, I came across a new one called Yogabed. They seem to be brand new, and there isn’t much information out there except for some bloggers that were given free mattresses to write reviews up on them.

Curious, I went to the chat thing on their website, and they just spurted out marketing-speak that was not useful. They did, however, take my email address and sent me the following:

So, I’m wondering–has anyone actually heard about the quality of this mattress, or whether they’re a good option? They may just be too new and tried to plant their “foot in the door” with the bloggers. Just not sure I want to buy one and test for 100 days like they say, if they’re aren’t going to be around that long!

Thanks in advance.

Hi scstanton,

I became aware of Yogabed in December but I haven’t had the chance to talk with them. Unfortunately their website (and the information they provided you) is more about marketing and doesn’t say anything about the type, quality, or durability of the materials in their mattress.

I would keep in mind that the 100 day trial period is about making sure that the mattress is a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but trial periods aren’t long enough to tell you anything about the durability of the materials inside it or the useful life of the mattress as a whole.

If you can find out the information listed here and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials or help you identify whether the mattress has any obvious weak links. I would avoid any mattress where the retailer or manufacturer either can’t or won’t provide this information to their customers (see the guidelines here).

You can see some comments about the other “one choice fits everyone” types of mattresses that you mentioned in post #3 here and the rest of the topic.

Phoenix

ADDED: I used their chat to ask whether they provide the foam densities for the layers in their mattress and if they do could she tell me what they were. The customer service rep said she didn’t know so it’s not information that they seem to easily provide. She said that she would have someone email me back to let me know so if they do provide them I’ll post the information here.

I may be foolhardy, but we decided to pull the trigger on the YogaBed. I think my wife really liked the presentation of the product… but we’ll see how it actually works out when it arrives. It ships via UPS, and although I got confirmation emails from YogaBed of the purchase, no shipping information has been provided yet.

If anyone is interested, we got the King w/the 2 pillows, and with using a coupon code, it was $949 out the door.

I’ll update again once we receive it and I have some feedback on quality, etc.

Hi scstanton,

I received a reply to my email about their foam densities but infortunately they didn’t provide any meaningful information about anything except the IFD of their foam layers and a bunch of “sales” information …

I emailed them back requesting information about the density of their foam layers …

We’ll see how they respond and whether they are transparent about the quality/durability of the materials in their mattress.

I would agree that buying a mattress without knowing the quality and durability of the materials inside it would be a very risky and somewhat “questionable” purchase … especially if a company is more about marketing information and “selling you” than about educating you and providing you with meaningful information about their mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi scstanton,

I received a reply from Yogabed today to my second email which said …

This “translates” into “we choose not to disclose the quality/density of the materials we use” and since that makes it impossible to make an informed choice about their mattresses for me that would mean that I would avoid them completely just like any other manufacturer that doesn’t disclose the type and quality of the materials they use inside their mattresses.

These types of answers are always disappointing.

Phoenix

I had gone back and forth with their email support about 3 times before I got this reply, which I think is some info you were hoping to learn Phoenix…
Yogabed uses a four-layer construction that makes up it’s proprietary 10 inch design. Our construction is made up the following components:
Cover Layer: Our zip n’ wash cover provides the cleanest sleep experience possible and keeps dust mite allergens to an absolute minimum. The zip n’ wash cover is only available on Yogabed.
Layer 1: Our top comfort layer uses a fully ventilated .75" of 5.0 pcf Yoga Instant Response Foam
Layer 2: Our cooling support layers uses a ventilated 1.75" of 4.0 pcf of gel infused YogaFoam (YogaGel Memory Foam).
Layer 3: Or mattress core is made of a 6.5 inch of 1.8 pcf Breathable Foam Base.
Layer 4: Our final layer is a 1.0 inch 1.8 pcf/40 ILD to insure that the Yogabed design loses none of the support characteristics to the underside of the mattress and brings continuity of feel across the entire mattress.

Foam densities, thickness and ILD are all key descriptive descriptors to foam components, they are not indicative of comfort. The Yogabed foam designs, mechanical ventilation of the comand the instant response foam designs are proprietary characteristics of Yogabed. These features along with the zip n’ wash cover provide the cleanest sleep experience possible and keeps dust mite allergens to an absolute minimum.
Have a great weekend!
Team YogaBed

Based on the above specs, would these be quality materials or is there a 'weak link"?

Hi toddstrawser,

If this information isn’t easily available with direct questions requesting it then I normally tend to look at other options instead of “pulling teeth” to get the information I need because it can be an indication that they are more focused on marketing than they are on informing their more knowledgeable customers who know enough to ask more important questions but you are more persistent than I was … and thanks for adding the specifics of their layers on the forum :slight_smile:

Based on these specs … there would be no obvious weak links in their design although they do use less of the more premium (and more costly) specialty foams in their 2.5" comfort layers than the other “one choice fits all” mattresses which use between 3" and 4" of specialty foams in their comfort layers.

I’ve also added a link to your post to the information in post #3 here which compares the construction and materials in the “one option fits all” mattresses … and thanks again!

Phoenix

[quote=“toddstrawser” post=49354]I had gone back and forth with their email support about 3 times before I got this reply, which I think is some info you were hoping to learn Phoenix…
Yogabed uses a four-layer construction that makes up it’s proprietary 10 inch design. Our construction is made up the following components:
Cover Layer: Our zip n’ wash cover provides the cleanest sleep experience possible and keeps dust mite allergens to an absolute minimum. The zip n’ wash cover is only available on Yogabed.
Layer 1: Our top comfort layer uses a fully ventilated .75" of 5.0 pcf Yoga Instant Response Foam
Layer 2: Our cooling support layers uses a ventilated 1.5" of 4.0 pcf of gel infused YogaFoam (YogaGel Memory Foam).
Layer 3: Or mattress core is made of a 6.5 inch of 1.8 pcf Breathable Foam Base.
Layer 4: Our final layer is a 1.0 inch 1.8 pcf/40 ILD to insure that the Yogabed design loses none of the support characteristics to the underside of the mattress and brings continuity of feel across the entire mattress.

Foam densities, thickness and ILD are all key descriptive descriptors to foam components, they are not indicative of comfort. The Yogabed foam designs, mechanical ventilation of the comand the instant response foam designs are proprietary characteristics of Yogabed. These features along with the zip n’ wash cover provide the cleanest sleep experience possible and keeps dust mite allergens to an absolute minimum.
Have a great weekend!
Team YogaBed

Based on the above specs, would these be quality materials or is there a 'weak link"?[/quote]

Just a slight correction the second layer is 1.75 inch not 1.5. Don’t know how much difference that makes but it makes the comfort layer “slightly” thicker.

Hi mville032,

Thanks for the clarification … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

They list their layer thicknesses here so I had already listed the correct thickness in the other reference post I linked but I’m glad you thought to update the information in this topic so that the people who read it will get accurate information. I’ve edited my previous post here to reflect the correct thickness of the comfort layers and I also took the liberty of correcting the layer thickness in toddstrawser’s post with the specs they gave you as well.

Phoenix

Hi scstanton, do you have any feedback on your experience so far with the Yogabed? Thanks!

Hi scstanton,

How does the Yogabed fare? I might be pulling the trigger on one today?