Your Advice

After experiencing sagging with our pillow top I am considering a foam mattress. I have read many reviews about all the different manufacturers. My wife and I have no specific needs except that we are 80% side sleepers, 185/120lbs respectively. Like everyone else we want the best nights sleep, least amount of sagging at the the best value. Looking at Tempurpedic, Tempflow, Heathy Foundations and Norsform Serafina @ Costco. While mattress comfort is subjective, If possible, can you on an objective basis, recommend the best mattress for us? If not, anything I should avoid as to these brands? Lastly, what bed do you have? Thank you.

Hi Dldlaw,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worse ones.

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which mattress is the best choice for someone else out of all the thousands of mattresses that are available based on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The tutorial post will help with “how” to choose though but only you can decide which mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and your personal value equation.

While comfort and “feel” are very subjective … the quality of a mattress isn’t and if you know the quality of the materials inside it (and only deal with retailers or manufacturers that provide this information) then you will be able to compare them to the guidelines (or post the specific details here if you’d like some help identifying the quality of the materials or identifying any weak links) and end up with a much higher quality/value choice.

Outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and I would only deal with retailers or manufacturers that provide this information to their customers. If you are looking at online memory foam mattresses rather than a local purchase then the tutorial post also includes a link to some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of.

You can see my thoughts about why mattress reviews are not an effective way to choose a mattress in post #13 here.

You can also see my thoughts about buying from a Big Box Store such as Costco (particularly with some of their lower quality mattresses such as most of the Novaform mattresses) in post #4 here.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better local options I’m aware of in your area so you can test some different types of mattresses to find out a little more about your specific needs and preferences.

See post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Any recommendations as to local options in the Atlanta, Georgia area?
Thanks again.

Hi Dldlaw,

The better options or “possibilities” I’m aware of in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix:

I have followed your advice and have read the various posts regard mattress types, construction and preferences. My wife and I have visited numerous retailers, tested an assortment of mattresses and have concluded that we prefer the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe over any other memory or latex mattress. What I don’t like is the price. I have found what I believe to be a comparable and perhaps better quality mattress-the Luxe from Brooklyn Bedding. Can you share your thoughts on the quality etc of this mattress? Again, I appreciate all your help.

Hi Dldlaw,

Brooklyn Bedding has two mattresses called the “Luxe” (one in the Cool series and one in the PureCool series) but they both use good quality materials and have no weak links in their design (they list the specifics of all the materials of each one on their website). They are both designed to be closely comparable in terms of PPP to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe or Cloud Luxe Breeze although they have a slightly different design. There is more about matching one mattress to another in post #9 here. Brooklyn Bedding is also one of the invited members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

They also have a great no cost return policy for their Cool and PureCool series which of course means there is little risk involved in a purchase (only the time and effort involved in returning it and any time you may have without a mattress if you had your old one removed) and you can use your own sleeping experience to decide whether it’s a good match for you.

Phoenix