Your style, preferences, and statistics - natural vs synthetic

An Overview of Natural vs. Synthetic Mattress Materials

The natural vs synthetic debate is an old one and fuelled as much by emotion and conflicting belief systems as it is by facts. It is also the source of a great deal of misinformation and the “greenwashing” that is so common in the mattress industry. This article is certainly not meant to be the “final statement” in this argument and there will be more detailed investigations published here over time however this should at least help to dispel some of the misinformation that you will be exposed to in the name of “going green”.

Mattress Foam Types

Latex comes in a natural and synthetic version (this is outside of how it’s made because any manufacturing method (Dunlop or Talalay) can use natural, synthetic, or a blend of latex rubber). Chemically they are a very similar molecule however natural latex also includes other ingredients in small quantities which contribute to its qualities and in general is a superior form of rubber in the properties that are most valued in latex. SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber or synthetic latex) does have some properties however that can be superior to NR (Natural Rubber latex) in some of its formulations which is its ability to resist heat aging, abrasion resistance, and softening (which in some combinations can reduce body impressions). It is also less expensive which is one of the reasons for its more common use. For this reason, a blended latex, often found in Talalay latex especially, may be more durable than the purely natural version of Talalay, particularly in the less dense very soft ILD ranges. In Dunlop latex or with Talalay that is not very soft, this is not as big an issue as they are both denser and very long lasting without any added SBR. Natural latex has many qualities which are superior to SBR, including its elasticity, and a natural version or good quality blended version would normally be preferable to SBR latex which does not have the same desirable latex qualities. In general terms with Talalay either a blend or natural version is a good choice. With Dunlop, since 100% natural is less expensive than Talalay, I would tend towards 100% natural unless there are other factors, especially cost, which are most important to you and in this case I would lean towards higher natural rubber content in a Dunlop blend.

As far as toxicity goes, both blended and natural latex are very safe and while they may sometimes have a smell which ranges from “vanilla” to “rubbery”, this generally dissipates quickly and is not harmful. Most quality latex foams have been tested for toxicity and outgassing by reputable testing organizations and are completely safe … even for babies. Your choice between NR and SBR at least can be based on your personal preferences rather than which one is “safer”. If your preferences are towards completely natural, then both Talalay and Dunlop come in natural versions (they do not use SBR in their production) and Dunlop is also available in a certified organic version. There is no certified organic Talalay.

These too are completely chemical in nature and even though some of them are partially made from polyols (one of the foam ingredients) which are derived from plants. Some of these are more highly processed than others canstill have an environmental impact in their manufacturing in different ways (some like soy which is a GMO crop and is responsible for some of the destruction of the rainforest) more so than others (like castor oil which requires less processing). There is no such thing as a natural polyurethane foam. While they do not usually have the same issues with toxicity and outgassing as memory foam, this is still a potential in their manufacturing and I would also make sure that if your mattress has polyfoam in it that the source is North American or has been tested by a reputable testing organization such as CertiPur as well.

All memory foam is synthetic and made in a similar way to polyurethane foam with some “rather nasty” chemicals added to it. Most have a tendency to not smell very good when they are initially made and the worst of them can be rather bad and last for a long time. Some memory foams can also give off toxic fumes which can be quite harmful and if the foam itself breaks down into dust and these are breathed in, this can also be a source of concern over time (in other words don’t wait to the last possible moment to replace them). If you are one of those who loves the feel of memory foam, you will need to give up on your hopes of having a “green” or “natural” mattress (in spite of many false claims to the contrary in the industry which are completely misleading). If you do purchase a mattress with memory foam, make sure it has been certified for any offgassing or toxicity by a reputable testing organization such as Oeko-Tex or CertiPur. For safety reasons as well as Durability considerations, I would also tend to avoid memory foams made by unknown manufacturers.

Other Mattress Materials

These in their best versions are high-quality materials that are very breathable, natural, and durable. There are however some materials that are claimed as being “natural” that are anything but. An example of this is the “bamboo blends” or other viscose materials that are appearing more commonly in mattress ticking these days. While there is no disputing they are both comfortable, durable, and effective, this is not the issue in this article as they can sometimes be environmentally harmful in their production and are certainly not “natural”. They are typically classified as “artificial” meaning they are neither natural or synthetic. Organic and/or more natural versions of cotton, wool, linen, silk and other well-known fibers are all good choices for those who wish to be more green or organic in their lifestyle, want the better performance of most natural fabrics, or who are just more comfortable with materials which are more natural and in many cases more friendly to the environment.

Innersprings: These are made of steel … often recycled steel … and while this may not come out of the earth as steel, it is certainly not toxic or harmful. The two mattresses in North America that have been certified as completely organic are both made of innersprings and natural fibers.

There is no disputing the benefits of certain artificial or synthetic fabrics in our society however these too are not “natural”. Some of them like rayon or viscose are derived from plants or trees or other cellulosic materials and so could be more accurately called artificial. Others such as polyester are forms of plastic and are made from petrochemicals and will tend to be lower cost but there can also be a tradeoff in terms of performance (such as temperature regulation) and durability. In some cases there can be a range of “destructive effects” in their production even though they themselves may not be toxic. Again the choice of these materials and the benefits they may have should be based on personal preferences rather than the black and white “good or bad” arguments that are so common in the industry.

Fire Retardants

I have had quite a number of discussions with many manufacturers and others in the industry regarding this and it is certainly another area of controversy. Some of this controversy revolves around the issue of whether the new fire retardancy laws enacted in 2007 were really necessary to replace those already in existence and add a significant cost to the production of a mattress and introduce some very toxic chemicals into the equation. There are many who believe that the health costs of the introduction of these new laws are larger than the number of fire victims it was designed to protect (approximately 2000 per year). In any case … here is my best assessment of good choices in fire retardant materials. Bear in mind too that with a custom built mattress and with a doctor’s prescription, you are still able to buy a mattress without any fire retardancy layers.

This is another good method of complying with the law and uses materials that are “less natural” but nontoxic… even though they may not be completely green (viscose is an artificial fiber as discussed earlier). This is the preference of many who prefer a nonquilted ticking as it does not interfere as much with the feel of a mattress and is the “most natural” of the alternatives. Milliken and Visil are two common brands although there are many others.

A third alternative that is considered safe by many is Borax or Boric acid added to a “sock” material. There is quite a controversy about this as it is also used as roach killer but it is also a fact that there are many things that will kill insects that are not so harmful to humans (such as diatomaceous earth). In fact Borax kills insects by dissolving the waxy coating on their shell which then causes them to dehydrate rather than killing them through direct toxicity. Having said all that, it is also not the safest material and can be toxic to humans in large quantities so fabrics impregnated with borax or boric acid would certainly be my third choice … even though I do not believe it justifies the outcry or claims of high toxicity connected to the label of “roach killer”

Since these 3 and the 4th option of no fire-retardant layer at all that is available with a doctor’s prescription is enough for most people to purchase a completely safe and even organic mattress, I would avoid all other fire retardancy methods and chemicals in a mattress.

A third alternative that is considered safe by many is Borax or Boric acid added to a “sock” material. There is quite a controversy about this as it is also used as roach killer but it is also a fact that there are many things that will kill insects that are not so harmful to humans (such as diatomaceous earth). In fact Borax kills insects by dissolving the waxy coating on their shell which then causes them to dehydrate rather than killing them through direct toxicity. Having said all that, it is also not the safest material and can be toxic to humans in large quantities so fabrics impregnated with borax or boric acid would certainly be my third choice … even though I do not believe it justifies the outcry or claims of high toxicity connected to the label of “roach killer”

Since these 3 and the 4th option of no fire-retardant layer at all that is available with a doctor’s prescription is enough for most people to purchase a completely safe and even organic mattress, I would avoid all other fire retardancy methods and chemicals in a mattress.

There are other materials not covered here that are used in mattresses however these will give you some general information regarding the “Natural vs Synthetic” controversy and hopefully will also help you to navigate through the quicksand of the many misleading and sometimes completely untrue natural, green, and organic claims.

Is the sleep ez organic bed made with certified organic latex or is it just parts

Hi Thomast75,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The SleepEZ organic line does use GOLS certified Dunlop latex, should you choose that configuration. There is no GOLS organic certified Talalay, although you can have a GOTS certified finished mattress using Talalay (see below).

The SleepEZ Organic line uses either GOLS certified 100% NR Dunlop or Oeko-Tex certified 100% NR Talalay. The cover is GOTS certified cotton and GOTS certified wool. The finished mattress itself doesn’t have a certification (which would be GOTS), as this is not a common thing for manufacturers to do. Even if the mattress had a GOTS 4.0 finished product organic certification, it could contain latex which isn’t GOTS certified. While GOTS 4.0 can get quite complex, the easier way to look at it would be that for GOTS they are looking mostly at textiles and the would classify other foams, coils and/or latex as “supports and frames”, which doesn’t figure into the calculation used for the total composition. These “supports and frames” must be GOLS certified themselves, or have a third-party certifications that GOTS approves and along with this certification the manufacturer must meet the GOTS list of banned chemical and certify that they are not using any of those chemicals. I know it’s quite confusing, and much of this has nothing to do with product quality, but that’s about as basic as I can make it.

Both the SleepEZ Natural and Organic line use high quality materials, and the choice of one versus the other would come down to your own personal preference of the importance of an organic standard versus a harmful substance/VOC testing standard such as Oeko-TEX. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I am currently mattress shopping and have been checking out many of the “bed in a box” online mattresses. I am not sure I have even seen one that states what fire retardant they are using. I have seen many saying they are CertiPUR certified but I haven’t yet checked which fire retardants are allowed under that certification.

Hi CeruleanBlue,

Thanks for your post. Just for clarification, the Certipur will have nothing to do with the FR choice the manufacturer/brand uses. CertiPUR-US certified foams are:
âś“ Made without ozone depleters
✓ Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants
âś“ Made without mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
âś“ Made without formaldehyde
âś“ Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
âś“ Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)

The FR material used is definitely a question that needs to be asked either through chat, email, or phone call. While not always easy to find at a first glance most of the TMU trusted members are transparent and list all FR information on their sites or those who don’t list it are happy to provide this information.

Fire retardant chemicals have never been mandatory. What is required is that a mattress passes the 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 fire regulations with or without the use of fire retardant chemicals (the method of passing the regulations isn’t specified in the regulations). The most common method used to pass the regulations is the use of inherent fire barrier fabrics that are either quilted into the cover or are wrapped around the inner materials of the mattress like a sock. There is more information about fire retardant methods that are commonly used in the industry in Mattress Fire retardant information in Post #2 and in the chemical-free mattress and FR in post #4.

Phoenix

I need help on finding a solution for a mattress.
I did lots of research a few years ago and bought an expensive all-organic latex, wool and cotton mattress and base. After about three years, I thought my mattress was causing me to feel ill with tingling and burning arms and legs. I have since learned I was developing burnout from overwork for 20 years, possibly multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia so I don’t know if the mattress was an issue or not. I have sold the mattress/bed and am now looking for something new.

• as odourless as possible as I am sensitive to smells (even unwashed? organic wool can bother me)
  • no latex
  • single extra long
  • return possible after a trial period
  • for side and back sleeper, 150 pounds male in 70s.
    I am on Vancouver Island in BC Canada so something that I can obtain or have shipped here.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Goodsleep,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post. Just curious, why no latex? Latex tends to have less odor than polyfoam or memory foam, so I am just wondering.

Really sorry to hear about the tingling and burning legs and arms, that sounds terrible.
While I can help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you.

We mean match as in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see this post about what mattress is best for me?).

I know with your location this is not as easy with your location, so I would recommend you check out our mattress membership listing and contact some of our Canadien members and ask detailed questions, they are truly experts and will try to help you.

Thanks,
Sensei