Your weight and body size - why isin't that the starting point for mattress research?

A mattress is a suspension system. And like the suspension system in your car, the most obvious or important piece of information is just how much weight needs to be supported - and where.

So in reading the various guides about choosing a mattress, I wonder why the information isin’t presented in terms of → “If you’re a tall, skinny person that weighs X, then you should focus on the Y and Z components of a mattress, but if you’re short and heavy, then components A and B will determine how long your mattress will last (how long it will hold it’s shape) and how comfortable you’ll be”.

For example, a heavier person should have a bed with lower-gage springs, and vice-versa.

Hi SumGuy,

Have you read the tutorial post I linked in my last reply?

One of the links there is mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here which includes links to the type of information you are mentioning (and there is more in the other parts of the mattresses section of the site and other forum posts as well) but choosing a mattress based on “theory at a distance” or mattress specifications can never be as accurate in terms of PPP as actual testing or your own personal experience.

Another one of the links is to post #4 here which has more detailed information about the factors that can affect the relative durability and useful life of a mattress (one of which is the weight and body type of the person).

I wouldn’t make this type of information a starting point because mattress specs can quickly lead to information overwhelm and the actual feel and performance of a mattress and the type of materials and the mattress type you prefer can be very different from what you may expect based on specs where you don’t have any reference points but some working knowledge of the basics can certainly be helpful in combination with dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who already knows what you would otherwise need to spend a great deal of time learning.

The general rule with higher weights is that more durable materials are more important (regardless of the actual type of material or component) but outside of making sure that the materials in a mattress are durable relative to the person … the type of materials that each person may prefer in a mattress is still a preference not a “better worse” choice regardless of weight.

Phoenix