Zenhaven Latex Mattress

Is there an update on this foundation?

I’ve had the slight sensation of having to roll up to the edge of the Zenhaven and being pulled towards the middle of the bed. I can just ever so faintly see the bow in the mattress. This post made me check my foundation and it is definitely wood slats placed 8" across and covered with some fabric. It is NOT upside down…the bottom is JUST fabric, no slats.

There doesn’t appear to be any sort of cross piece…which might explain why my bed is sagging towards the middle just a bit. The slats are on top, and then there is some sort of surface underneath them that appears to span the whole bed. Feels like cardboard or thin wood, maybe?

The sensation is slight but it does irk me a bit…I didn’t think to look at the foundation til this post! I am still in the return window for the mattress and am gathering as much information as I can to justify that decision and go into the next one better informed.

What is the lightest that unblended talalay can be made in? The ZH rep told me the topper was a 7 ILD “but he didn’t really know.” I’m just guessing it’s unblended talalay since that’s their whole schtick but they also used polyester instead of organic cotton so there’s a chance it’s blended, too. I can pinch it to almost nothing, it’s equal to or lighter than anything I’ve seen in our local store, which I know carries down to 19.

I’m using this topper as a way to convey to the reps what is and isn’t working for me for the next purchase so it would be good to know!

Thank you!

Hi sweetandsourkiwi,

You will soon be a true latex expert with your detailed follow up. Just a point of fact, and I don’t mean this as a knock on ZH, but no talalay mattress anywhere in the world is made with a factory measured 7ild. It is actually impossible to do “consistently” in the mold size / talalay process. And it would not be anywhere durable enouhg to be a viable product.

Of course, both Talalay producers can do it once in a while or by accident, but it has never been sold as a product in the bedding industry. Both blended and non-blended Talalay is made at a minimum of 14ild at the factory. Now other people can measure the ild differently (measure 3" instead of 6" core) but from factory perspective, the 14ild is the lowest they go.

Thanks
Sensei

Thank you Sensei! I didn’t think he knew what he was talking about, but I am trying to convey the whole Zenhaven experience for the folks at home. The topper is most likely 14, then. (Or 14-19, as I believe these latexes are scored on a range?)

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

You are welcome and thank you for explaining all the details of the experience, that is critical for the TMU as a whole. Yes the ild’s are scored on a range, but they usually just call them 14 or 19 ild, I sometimes use the range in my notes as the different talalay manufacturers have different ranges. But for all intents and purposes, a 14 is average usually between a 13 and 15, inside a mattress, one can’t really tell the difference between 13/14/15.

Thanks again,
Sensei

Thank you Sensei!

I have another QC piece to add (part of the other thread but I will include it here as well.)

Does this qualify as a “weak link?” I can now feel through the top fabric that the top layer (and presumably lower layers) are constructed with the same flaw as the toppers—essentially a twin sized piece of latex glued adjacent to a thin strip of latex to make a queen…or probably more likely, two twins that were glued together, then chopped off on one side instead of a little off each side, so the seam runs right down the middle of where I sleep.

I’m not sure how much to worry about this. I would just guess that glue doesn’t last as long as latex, and this is literally the point of the bed that is stressed the most. I could see where a middle seam wouldn’t matter as much, but right under the sleeper?

I don’t like sleeping in the middle or the wall side, and because of the zoning I can’t turn the bed the other way.

I am curious…how do I confirm that this bed is 100% (or as close as it gets) unblended talalay, not blended SBR talalay? If it says “100%” “natural” talalay…is that unblended? How do you know?

Edit: I was able to get this by finding their Oeko Tex certification number…very buried on their website. Look it up and it’s for natural rubber. 11-24246

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

I am glad you found that oekotex certificate, and of course its never 100% guarantee, but its also nice that TMU has so many contacts and knows people in the industry, we know alot about who they buy from and what they are buying…especially the manufacturer of the beds, which in this case is most likely Eclipse Bedding in New Jersy, making the zenhaven beds.

Hope all is well.

Thanks
Sensei

I think it depends where it’s bought…mine was made at Everton Mattress in Idaho. I suspect this accounts for some of the huge differences in feel and quality.

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

Ah yes, Everton, you are correct it certainly depends on where one is located. It’s a good business model, but one of the risks of using multiple factories/companies is quality control/inconsistencies. I actually believe Saatva does a very good job with this, but we do hear about the issues, if you will.

I think for some reason I thought you were from Northeast region, but I was just confused, I am sure. …Re: Eclipse mfg.

Thanks,
Sensei