Zenhaven Owners: What Do You Think? Plus: Do I need a cover?

I bought a Saatva mattress a few years ago. The mattress has held up pretty well. It’s nothing extraordinary. I also swore I would never buy from the company again only because of their seemingly scheming advertising tactics.

The company thrives on having their customers write reviews before they even receive the mattress. Any feedback you read on the Internet is from customers who merely completed an order and talking about the ordering experience. It’s very hard to find actual mattress reviews from customers because they are pushed by Saatva to give immediate feedback.

It also seems there are a lot of phony review sites out there set up by Saatva themselves. I say this because these review sites read more like product advertisements than giving detailed reviews.

There is just something about Saatva that has rubbed me the wrong way since day one. I have read feedback on this forum from those who feel the same way.

All that being said, I find myself returning to the Saatva brand. This time, I am looking at Zenhaven.

The fact that I am looking for another mattress after only 6 years should tell you that I haven’t been overly thrilled with the Saatva brand. I am a side sleeper, and I find myself tossing and turning often. Sometimes I have to switch to the opposite end of the bed to sleep because I can’t get comfortable on the mattress.

Why then am I going back to Saatva? I figured I would give Latex a try.

From what I have read, Latex is far more durable than regular mattresses. It also has a unique feel and does a nice job of hugging the body and providing support. For side sleepers like myself, the luxury plush side of the mattress is recommended over the firm.

So, I just ordered the mattress blindly two days ago based on very positive reviews. Of course, when Saatva sends out free mattress samples to these review websites, who knows how honest of a review one is reading.

So, here I am asking actual Zenhaven owners how they like their mattress.

Additionally, I am here with a question…

Do I need a mattress cover for a latex bed? From what I have read, latex beds are immune from allergy components and dust mites.

If a cover is needed, the two most recommended that I have found is BEAR and SLUMBER CLOUD.

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Hi NJRonbo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I understand your frustration with the many “review” sites that are in fact “revenue” sites, and it’s not limited to any one specific brand. A big part of the underlying problem with these types of marketing systems though is that consumers as a whole put too much trust in mattress reviews in the first place (either positive or negative) in the mistaken belief that they are a good way to assess whether a mattress would be a suitable or a durable choice for them so they end up choosing a mattress for all the wrong reasons based on other people’s experiences and reviews or on the “deal” they think they are getting instead of legitimate “fact based” research that would be relevant to their own unique needs, preferences, and criteria. This is more of an issue with consumers in general that can really only be solved with education about how to buy a mattress but because reviews have become so important in today’s online market they have gained a false aura of legitimacy and while they may not be the cause of the problem … many mattress companies are well aware of their ability to influence people and change buying habits and certainly take full advantage of the mindset and target market that pays significant attention to them so they are really just taking advantage of a “reality” that they know will sell mattresses for them.

While most reviewers are certainly well meaning … because most reviews aren’t relevant to anyone but the reviewer and can be “influenced” so easily and in so many ways … for the most part (with only few exceptions) mattress reviews are a classic example of garbage in / garbage out even though the “garbage” may be well meaning and true to the experience of the person writing the review. In many ways it reminds me of MLM companies which turn customers into salespeople where people will say whatever they need to say in their “testimonials” in order to sell their products and their business to others.

The real solution to the problem IMO would be to change the consumer mindset that places undue importance on online reviews in the first place which is the engine that drives these types of marketing systems along with the paid review services that will write online reviews for you for a fee as well so you can claim to have the “best reviewed mattress” which too many people believe translates into “the best mattress” when it doesn’t … but this is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Latex is certainly a very durable material, and it is quite point elastic. Whether or not the Luxury Plush side of the Zen Haven will be comfortable enough for you on your side can only be determined through your own personal testing once you receive the product.

It seems dichotomous to me that you complained about reviews in the first part of your post, yet you ordered a new mattress based upon reviews from the very company you stated you didn’t like because of how you feel the same company handles and courts online reviews. Especially as there are a myriad of other online latex mattress sources. There’s of course nothing wrong with choosing the Zen Haven, as it uses good quality and durable materials. I just find the choice interesting based upon your statements.

As alluded to previously regarding reviews, there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else to make specific suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance that can possible be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) which is always the most reliable way to predict which mattress will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here), and reviews or other people’s experiences in general just won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). Hopefully you’ll report back that your new mattress is working out well for you. :cheer:

You always need to use some sort of mattress pad or protector over your mattress. While certain products may be dust mite resistant, if the food source and environment are appropriate, you can get dust mites in any style of mattress. The key things would be keeping their main food source (skin cells) to a minimum, and keeping the environment low in humidity (they prefer a warm, moist environment). There’s some good information about mattress protectors in post #89 here, and this post.

I’m looking forward to learning about your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Been reading your input on this forum for quite some time and it’s always knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you for keeping such a stellar environment within this forum.

Yes, absolutely, my purchase of a Zenhaven contradicts my comments about Saatva. I suppose, in the end, I don’t find their product to be horrible but rather their advertising tactics. In the end, I chose them because of the price. What actual reviews I was able to determine as honest – as well as consumer input from those who actually owned the mattress – they seemed positive.

I did look at Habitat Furnishings. They were rated very highly for latex mattresses. I suppose, in the end, I went with Zenhaven due to the devil I knew instead of the one I didn’t.

I will check back and report on the mattress and what I think of it. Still hoping actual owners of Zenhaven will chime in here as well.

Hi NJRonbo,

Thank you for the kind words!

That made me smile. :lol: Clever statement.

I’m looking forward to learning about your thoughts on your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while. And while most reviewers are certainly well meaning … because most reviews aren’t relevant to anyone but the reviewer and can be “influenced” so easily and in so many ways … please keep in mind for the most part (with only few exceptions) mattress reviews will have absolutely no indication of the potential appropriateness or applicability of any product for your own personal needs.

Phoenix

Wanted to come back here after several weeks of taking possession of a new Zenhaven mattress.

I didn’t want to immediately post my thoughts. Most reviews you read about these mattresses are based upon the sales experience due to the fact that many of these companies rush their customers to post immediate reviews without actually sleeping on the product.

Firstly, I made some previous comments about my dealings with Saatva. I wasn’t very impressed with my first mattress purchase from them. I had delivery issues and the mattress itself wasn’t anything to rave about. After a few short years, I found myself constantly “fidgeting” in bed. It was time to buy a new bed.

I really didn’t want to buy another Saatva mattress, but I knew that I didn’t want to go to a store and deal with unscrupulous salesmen either. After owning a few foam mattresses (which I think are the absolute worst mattresses to buy), I figured I would try a latex mattress. That brought me back to Saatva and their Zenhaven brand.

I have to say, Zenhaven (Saatva) customer service was extraordinary. Any questions I had submitted through email were immediately answered within an hour on both weekdays and Sundays. Additionally, when there were issues regarding their delivery company not being able to accommodate my sleep schedule, Zenhaven really went out of their way to make things right.

The delivery company did an excellent job of delivering my bed and taking away the old mattress and frame.

This was my first latex bed and at first, I really felt no major difference in how it felt. However, after 2-3 weeks of sleeping on it, I will say that I am sleeping better than I ever had before. There is no longer any fidgeting. I am a side sleeper, and the bed seems to give a nice level of support on their plush side (there is a firmer side if the mattress is turned over).

I put a nice cover on the bed that I purchased from Bear. It was highly recommended from the reviews I read and neither that cover or the bed itself promotes any heat which was a big problem from the memory foam mattresses that I have owned in the past.

Overall, I am happy with this Zenhaven mattress and the level of support I received from the company.

Hi NJRonbo,

Thanks for your follow-up, and I’m glad that you are sleeping well on your new Zenhaven mattress. I’m glad that you are enjoying the comfort of a latex product.

I hope you’ll visit back again with more follow up after you’ve slept upon your mattress for a while longer.

Phoenix