Zipper Cover

HI Phoenix,

The zipper cover on my latex mattress is giving bit of Firm feeling around the Head/Shoulder region of the mattress as the cover is very snuggish. I think leaving the zipper open would ease some tension. However, its a king 12 inch split mattress, I’m afraid the latex would shuffle around or lax in the cover may cause discomfort. what’s your say?

It’s been 10 days since I’ve put together this mattress and I’m flipping around or turning over the top Talalay layer for even break-in of the latex, or would you prefer me doing that for all the layers?

Thanks, .

Hi ashwinivin,

[quote]I think leaving the zipper open would ease some tension. However, its a king 12 inch split mattress, I’m afraid the latex would shuffle around or lax in the cover may cause discomfort. what’s your say?

It’s been 10 days since I’ve put together this mattress and I’m flipping around or turning over the top Talalay layer for even break-in of the latex, or would you prefer me doing that for all the layers?[/quote]

I would give the mattress more time so that the cover can break in and stretch a little and so you can adjust to the “feel” of a mattress that is different from what you are used to sleeping on (see post #3 here). It can often take a few weeks and sometimes up to about 90 days or so for the initial break in and adjustment period for a new mattress.

I wouldn’t flip the individual layers around on a regular basis … especially at the beginning. Once the mattress has broken in then it would be OK to flip the top latex layer say once or twice a year which may slightly extend it’s useful life.

With a new mattress your upper body and shoulders may be sinking in a little more or less than you did on your old mattress and the distance between your head and the mattress may be different so one of the most common reasons for upper body and shoulder issues on a new mattress is that you may need a different pillow to keep your head and neck in good alignment and relieve some of the pressure on your shoulders so it may also be a good idea to experiment with different pillows.

Phoenix

The reason why I think the mattress is firm around the head/should region is that,

1. The Latex layers are definitely over sized that gives a very snug fit with the zipper cover on, which makes me dubious how far the cover can stretch.

2. I tried laying on the mattress with the cover unzipped and it eases the tension and, feels more comfortable but since it’s a split I’m worried it might shuffle the latex around and may cause discomfort.

Let me know,

Thanks much once again!

Hi Ashwinivin,

I would follow the suggestions in my previous reply for the time being and then assess things after you have slept on the mattress for a few weeks.

Phoenix

Will try that