Zoned Dunlop core

Hi beanbag,

All latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam but I would agree with you that this would be less durable (and also less resilient and less contouring) than 100% natural molded Dunlop.

The “how much” is impossible to answer because it would depend on many factors (see post #4 here about the factors involved in the relative durability and useful life of a mattress) but I would put it in a more durable category than poyfoam and less durable than 100% natural molded Dunlop. If it’s being used with comfort layers on top of it then it would be more durable than it would if you were sleeping on it directly.

Almost all latex has pincores (the holes you are talking about) and this won’t affect the durability of the latex any more than any softer material would be less durable than a firmer material of the same type (softness is a secondary durability factor). Since the firmer zone is under the heaviest part of the body this would add to its durability compared to the same layer that had the same softness as the top and bottom zones throughout. It wouldn’t affect the compression modulus … it just starts off softer.

They could also give you more insights and information because they work with this type of latex on an ongoing basis.

Outside of the zoning … I think the main reason to choose it vs a similar 100% natural molded Dunlop layer would be someone who wanted the benefits of latex but was on a more limited budget.

This would be a good idea if you added the extra 2" and probably not as good an idea if you didn’t (the cover would be very loose and subject to shifting, bunching, and wrinkling).

Phoenix