Zoned latex matress in Canada

Hi Phoenix & Everyone,

I’ve been sleeping on a Latexco zoned mattress (5) for the last 20 years and enjoying every minute of it although the last few years have demanded a bit of tweaking. I am now looking for a new one but despite many hours searching the net (including this fantastic forum), haven’t yet found a suitable replacement and would greatly appreciate any advice from you. I live in Canada near Montreal.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

• 100% (OK, 95%) natural Dunlop latex (ideally certified by GOLS and Eco Institut)
  • Minimum of 3 zones (firmer around hip area is essential, the other zones less so. I’m a back sleeper)
  • Total height between 8" & 10"
  • Overall firmness very high, probably around 35-40 ILD for the hip area and around 30 for the rest
    -Topper of about 2" softer latex
  • Some sort quilted layer of wool+organic cotton to finish things up
  • A progressive construction would be nice with for ex, a 3" extra firm bottom layer, a 4" zoned layer and a 2" soft topper

The Obasan Acadia 2.0 or 3.0 come very close but my preference would be for a molded zoned mattress rather than separate moving parts as I suspect I would feel them. Greensleep has a new zoned offering but with similar separate parts (and you can’t choose the firmness individually, you just move around the soft, medium and firm that are provided) and the 3" topper is probably too thick for someone who want good support sleeping on their back.

Similarly, the Dormio Sleep System is interesting but has 5" of latex on top of the zones layer and is a bit expensive as the size I require would be a special order.

I’m waiting to hear from Nature’s embrace who could probably custom make one for me but probably also at a cost.

The best option (and deal) was found at Naturelle Organic Beds with all kinds of customization and great specs on paper but posts in this forum from a few years ago seem to indicate an unreliable company. Anyone know if the situation has changed? The salesperson/owner was certainly knowledgeable and very nice in the pre-buying phase of the deal.

I am not considering a DIY mattress for the time being but am not totally averse to it.
Have I overlooked anything? Any company I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have,
Sincerely,
Latexman

Hi Latexdude,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There are quite a few zoned latex mattress offerings available, but I don’t keep track of which company is offering zoned componentry at any particular point in time, or who might be willing to order in specific types of foam on a special-order basis. It would be too difficult of a task in an ever-changing market.

Because you have a very specific design in mind, the DIY route might be your best option. The first listings in the component thread here offer quite a few sources for latex. Site member Mattresses.net has some tri-zone Dunlop cores they are offering. FloBeds, another site member here, offers their V-Zone mattress that is quite customizable, but I’m not sure if the design would meet with your needs. A search on zoned latex cores brings up quite a few options as well. These are just a few of the thoughts that immediately come to mind.

You can do a simple forum search on Naturelle (just click on the link) about Naturelle. BBB lists same phone number for Naturelle as is used for Naturelleorganicbeds.ca.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix fort your quick reply!

I have looked at the latex sources you mentioned as well as some others.
Regarding Arizona Premium Mattress Company, I am a bit concerned about this mention in the description of their zoned Dunlop cores: “75% SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) 25% natural rubber”, plus I would prefer a Canadian company (exchange rate, shipping, duties, etc).
The vZone Latex Mattress from Flobeds is a very interesting customizable system but uses Talalay latex and they are based in the US . They do make a rather convincing argument though regarding Dunlop vs Talalay in a video where they compared latex that had been stored compresssed for 4 years: the Talalay regained/retained its original shape better than the Dunlop. My own experience with my Dunlop mattress of 20 years would agree with that assessment. Something to think about…

Many other vendors offer appealing choices but fall short on 1 or 2 aspects. For ex, the Ecouture Organic Latex Natural Bliss Mattress by Galaxy Bedding would be nice except for the foam in the top quilt. Many US vendors have mattresses that would fit my needs though, something else to think about :slight_smile:

In the end, I will probably travel to an Obasan dealer and try out their Acadia line which, BTW, has GOLS certification and is cheaper than the equivalent Green Sleep Ergo Concept 8 (with a 2"-4"-2", 3 zones construction).

Thanks again for your suggestions. I will come back in a few weeks (hopefully) and post my feedback on the mattress I end up buying.

Good sleep everyone!

Latexdude

Anyone in your area carrying Berkeley? They have a 7 zoned model (talalay) called Copenhagen: Luxury Natural Latex Mattress | Berkeley Copenhagen | Mattress & Sleep Co.

Hi Latexdude,

[quote]I have looked at the latex sources you mentioned as well as some others.
Regarding Arizona Premium Mattress Company, I am a bit concerned about this mention in the description of their zoned Dunlop cores: “75% SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) 25% natural rubber”, plus I would prefer a Canadian company (exchange rate, shipping, duties, etc).[/quote]

I understand your desire to stay Canadian with your purchase, and also with the 100% NR product. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, the V-Zone is a customizable system, but I know it is in separate compartments, which you said you may have a concern about, but I don’t know if it would be an issue with their convoluted latex on top of those zones. And you can get their Talalay in the 100% natural version for Radium, which is Cradle to Cradle Gold certified. I have seen the video of which you speak and I have heard comments from sources stating that under long-term compression that Talalay may perform better than Dunlop, but your mattress wouldn’t be under such a stress, so I wouldn’t have as much of a concern about this should you decide to stick to your original plan and stay with Dunlop.

I know. It often comes down to making a pro/cons list on a legal pad for each item you’re considering and seeing how it rates with your personal value equation.

That sounds like a good plan, and then you can see if you like the feel of the Acadia 2.0 and if you notice the zones with which you said you may have a concern.

I’ll look forward to your update.

Phoenix

Hi magpie,

Thanks for the addition! The Copenhagen is a 2" - 6" - 2" combination with the core having a 7-zone system, and is made with Radium’s 100% natural Talalay that is Cradle To Cradle Gold certified. Latexdude was looking for Dunlop instead of Talalay, but this certainly would be a good addition to the list.

Phoenix

Hi Magpie,

Thx for the suggestion.
The Copenhagen seems like a fine mattress indeed but my preference is for a pretty firm mattress and this mention in their description suggest it may not be the one for me: “Overall, the Copenhagen is a rather soft bed, even in the “firm” version.”

Also, I am focusing on Dunlop latex for now because it is usually “purer” (less added chemicals) and offers a generally firmer feel than talalay for similar ILD values. My views may be about to change though, given the quality of some talalay latex (such as the one in this mattress) and the long term evolution of the material (see my previous post).

Latexdude

The Mattress and Sleep Company store is in my city and when I stopped in a few weeks ago the owner indicated that they thought from the specs it would be quite soft but once they actually got one on the floor it turned out to be firmer than expected. That’s why I went in based on their description of it being soft (I am opposite of you, I need soft). When I lay on the soft version and it was too firm for me. But if you don’t have a local store to physically try one, it would be a challenge to make a decision.

Hi LatexDude,

I know you’re reevaluating things a bit, so I thought I’d add a bit of information for you about latex and chemicals. All latex foam (including 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay and organic latex) uses a small amount of chemicals to manufacture the latex (see post #18 here) but the manufacturers don’t release the specifics of their compounding formula which is a closely guarded secret.

While I’m not a chemical engineer so I can’t speak to all the differences in their chemical formulations … the two main “chemical” differences between Talalay and Dunlop is that Talalay latex uses carbon dioxide gas as a gelling agent while Dunlop latex uses sodium fluorosilicate. Natural Dunlop latex is also often manufactured closer to the latex plantations so in many cases it needs less ammonia or other stabilizing agents to stabilize the latex and prevent it from coagulating or putrefying before it’s used, while Talalay is made in Holland (Radium) or in the USA (Talalay Global) so the liquid field latex they use may contain higher levels of ammonia or other chemicals to stabilize it before it’s used to manufacture the latex. Most of the ammonia is removed during the foaming process either way.

Phoenix

-Update-

Hi Phoenix and all,

I have decided to go with a three zone Dunlop mattress that the nice people at Nature’s Embrace (a Canadian company) kindly accepted to custom make for me (sold via Memory Foam Comfort, one of your trusted members). They both went the extra mile to make sure I got what I wanted at a very good price to boot.

It will have a 2" firm bottom layer (ILD40), a three zones 6" middle layer (30-40-30 ILD) and a 2" soft top (20ILD) wrapped in an organic cotton+quilted virgin wool cover. This should be a nice blend of firmness (something I like) and comfort. Their latex is GOLS and eco-INSTITUT certified.

I am looking forward to my new mattress and should report back once I have it.

Thanks again for your help.

Latexdude

Hi Latexdude.

Thanks for your update. Congratulations on your new mattress. :cheer:
You certainly found a very good mattress option tailored especially for you which has quality and durable componentry.

The time in between making a purchase and actually being able to sleep on a mattress can be one of the hardest parts of the process :lol: … not much long to wait now.

I’ll be interested to hear about it once you receive your mattress and once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix and all,

To close off this topic, here’s my evaluation of the new mattress I got about 9 months ago :
Fantastic!

I have absolutely no complaints about this mattress. It fits my needs perfectly and remains as comfortable as on day 1 (well, that’s to be expected with latex).

I am grateful to the nice people at Nature’s Embrace who made this happen for me and I recommend them without reserve.

Wishing everyone be as lucky as I was and find the perfect mattress for their needs,

Best,

Latexdude

HI latexdude.

Thanks for taking the time to share a 9 months mattress update with us. :lol:

I am happy that you are continuing to sleep well and “as comfortable as on day 1” on your Nature Embrace mattress from Memory Foam Comfort (one of our Trusted Members here) and that your purchase turned out so well for you. Definitely, they both took very good care of you and made sure that the mattress meets your specific needs.

I’m looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix and all!

I’m in the market for a new mattress. I’m hoping you can give me input on these Galaxy variants:

https://www.nationalmattress.ca/product/galaxy-pocket-coil-euro-top-medium-firm-mattress

I went into the store to test them out today and they both feel relatively the same except the latex seems to be a little less “plush”, which I like.
They’re not too far in pricing but I do want to get your opinions on them re: quality, build, etc. before I pull the trigger. At this point I’m leaning towards the latex one.

For your reference just in case, I’m 5’4 125lbs. Mostly a side sleeper, occasionally back.

Thank you in advance!

Hi rollingrock!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

[quote]I went into the store to test them out today and they both feel relatively the same except the latex seems to be a little less “plush”, which I like.
They’re not too far in pricing but I do want to get your opinions on them re: quality, build, etc. before I pull the trigger. At this point I’m leaning towards the latex one.[/quote]

Congratulations on your mattress shopping journey! I am glad you were able to get out and test mattresses despite the ongoing Covid restrictions. One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and compare them to each other in “real-time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” instead of trying one online mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead. Comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment are the two most important functions of a mattress and the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress will be a suitable choice that provides you with both.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP … you are correct to focus on the quality of the mattress you are considering which is the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase. Quality and durability is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the mattress specifications you need to know] so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the [url=https://mattressunderground.com/our-articles/mattress-durability-guidelines-how-long-will-a-mattress-last]mattress durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

It always makes me a bit suspicious when I see a mattress advertised as “organic latex” when in fact is has just 1" of latex out of its total thickness. This being said they do no list any of the information that would allow you to make a more informed mattress purchase.

[indent]The GALAXY ecoRest Certified Organic Latex Medium-Firm Pocket Coil:
Quilting layer: Organic cotton fabric, quilted
Comfort layer: Unspecified amount of polyfoam, 1" Cool Gel Foam and 1" organic latex
Support layers: 1" high resilient foam
Mattress core: 9" high loft pocket coil with foam encasement

The GALAXY Pocket Coil Euro Top Medium-Firm Mattress components break down to:

Quilting layer: .75" high density foam with 10 oz polyfoam
Comfort layers: VLS Cool Gel Memory Foam, 2" comfort foam
Support layers: 1.5" stability support foam
Mattress core: 1000 hi-loft pocket coils[/indent]

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope this paints a clearer picture of how to move forward with a better way to approach mattress shopping and if you have more specific questions I or any of our Expert Members here would be happy to assist you.

Phoenix