Zoned mattress advice

Mattress Underground,

I purchased the aloe alexis from brooklyn bedding with the following specifications:

• 7’’ 2.17lb HD foam core
  • 19 ILD - Latex for bottom layer(3 inches)
    [li]14 ILD - Latex for top layer(3 inches)[/li][/b]

Link to mattress: Brooklyn Bedding

My problem

I sleep on my side and I find that my hips sink in too much which throws off my spinal alignment and causes my arms to fall asleep. However, when I swap the top and bottom layer, it is then too firm and my arms fall asleep even faster (I am assuming due to pressure). I have reached out to Brooklyn bedding and they recommended I try a firmer bottom layer but I am thinking a zone mattress may be best for my issues. I am 5’6’’ and 165lbs.

I read these two articles below:

Which leads me to believe a zoned mattress may be best for my issues. I am looking for some guidance and/or advice. Also, would like to know what zoned mattresses are recommended by mattress underground.

Thanks in advance.

Hi we4321,

[quote]I sleep on my side and I find that my hips sink in too much which throws off my spinal alignment and causes my arms to fall asleep. However, when I swap the top and bottom layer, it is then too firm and my arms fall asleep even faster (I am assuming due to pressure). I have reached out to Brooklyn bedding and they recommended I try a firmer bottom layer but I am thinking a zone mattress may be best for my issues. I am 5’6’’ and 165lbs.

I read these two articles below:

www.themattressunderground.com/mattresse...ed-construction.html
www.themattressunderground.com/mattresse...pinal-alignment.html

Which leads me to believe a zoned mattress may be best for my issues. I am looking for some guidance and/or advice. Also, would like to know what zoned mattresses are recommended by mattress underground.[/quote]

It can take some experimentation to find a zoning system that would be a good match for you and Brooklyn Bedding doesn’t have zoned latex layers so it wouldn’t be an option anyway unless you decide to purchase various different latex layers and cut them yourself to experiment with a zoning pattern that would be a good “match” for you. Besides the articles you linked … there is more about zoning in post #11 here and in post #2 here and post #7 here.

Your mattress is very soft and if I was in your shoes I would first exchange for a firmer layer to see if there is a combination that works better for you before experimenting with zoning which can be more of a trial and error process.

It may also be worth experimenting with different pillows because one of the most common reasons for upper body or shoulder “symptoms” (either pressure or alignment) is a pillow that is either too thick or too thin for your body type and sleeping positions on a specific mattress because different mattresses can allow your shoulders to sink in more or less which would change the distance between your head and neck and the thickness of the pillow that will work best for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. I have gone ahead and read the additional posts you provided.

Regarding experimenting with different pillows, I think my current pillow is just right but I am open to trying others. Are there any you recommend for side sleepers with my issues? If so can you provide some you recommend? Or should I simply try miscellaneous pillows for side sleepers?

Also, what are some zoned mattresses you recommend as I would like to look into some as well.

Hi we4321,

Unfortunately there are even more variables and more subjective considerations involved with a pillow than even choosing a mattress but the pillow thread here has some suggestions and feedback that may be helpful.

Again … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to choose a specific mattress for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” because a mattress or a zoning system that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) with any certainty is based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

Flobeds has a zoned latex mattress that provides the option to customize the zoning system and Reverie mattresses also have individual latex cylinders that can be used in different zoning patterns that can be customized (and both are manufacturing members of the site). Other types of mattresses that include zoning would be latex cores that have 3 - 7 separate zones in the layer itself (usually with a relatively small differential between the zones) and there are also many innerspring mattresses that have a firmer center zone as well with softer coils in the upper and lower third of the innerspring.

Phoenix

Hi,

I’ve been looking to purchase an all latex mattress but dont know if zoning would be a good option or not for me. Im a 5’ 10" 160lbs male side sleeper with a 39-30-38 chest-wait-hip measurement, almost a 3 inch difference between my shoulder and chest so quite triangular with narrower hips and small waist. I feel like because of my body shape I would need additonal support to “fill in” a potential lumbar gap. I’ve been looking at SleepOnLatex, Dormio in Canada (i live in Toronto) and potenially a DIY option with 3x3" SMF layers. I know its hard to give any definitive advice online but was wondering if someone with a similar body shape has gone through the same process.

Thanks

Hi Stefan416,
In my humble opinion any side or back sleeper should consider zoning. We have been zoning Latex mattresses since about 2002, and we have come a long way with our design. The biggest problem with zoning, is everyone is built differently, we believe your mattress should be built for YOU.
A side sleeper often suffers from pressure points on the hips and shoulders, as soon as you find a mattress soft enough to relieve these pressure points, often there is not enough support for the lumbar. We decided to take a different approach to zoning, by making it an adjustable layer (with free adjustments in the first 100 nights) Below is our four standard zone configurations.

Each one of the above setups are made up of layers that can be easily adjusted, Our customers listen to there body, we listen to them and together we get it just right!
Often a customer will choose for example the “firm” configuration, but request a few additional inserts just in case, we send it out with the original shipment, and they can adjust with out having to wait for another shipment.
Based on your height and weight, and build, i would recommend: The below setup

We would include any additional zone requests gladly, living in Toronto we too would like to get things right in one shipment.
Our vZone in a King or Queen is $1000 off right now. You can learn more about our latex mattresses or begin customizing your vZone latex mattress