Zoned mattresses

Hello,
I am researching 100% natural latex options and am very interested in purchasing a zoned mattress (like Flo or CozyPure). However, as I layed in bed last night I realized that I almost always sleep on my side in a fetal-like position (I pull my knees up to my chest). Given this sleeping position and my 5’2" height, I wonder if I would really benefit from a zoned mattress. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Hi sadiemorgan,

Unfortunately there are too many variables and variations in body types and sleeping styles and how your body would interact with a specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) to be able to predict whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance”.

Zoning systems can certainly be useful and well worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress will be a good match for you in terms of PPP will be based on careful testing or your own personal experience.

If you are looking at online mattresses and you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix