Zoned Natural Latex

Phoenix,

My original mattress purchase was configured with 6" of 15/15.5 gauge pocket coils, 3" of 100% natural Dunlop ILD 24-26, 2" of 100% natural Dunlop ILD 19-21 with a wool/cotton quilted cover. I suffer from Fibromyalgia as well as numerous spinal issues so I was looking for good spinal support with enough pressure relief. I found I preferred the feel of the coils over the more dense feel of all latex. I sleep on both my side and my back and have a slight build at 5’6", 120lbs. After several months of trying to adjust to my new mattress, I still found myself tossing and turning and unable to fall asleep for extended periods of time due to it’s firm feel. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up with undeniable improvement in my back pain. My chiropractor was in love, but I was not. I felt like I had gotten a large part of the equation right, but couldn’t continue the sleep deprivation from not being able to fall asleep quickly (or at least in under an hour!).

I opted to exchange the 2" ILD 19-21 layer (termed “soft”) for a 2" zoned ILD 14-20 layer (also termed “soft”). Both are 100% natural Dunlop with the original layer being molded and the new layer being continuous pour method. The zoning has larger (approximately 1/2") holes in the shoulder and hip regions. The new layer does have a noticeably softer feel to it overall, but I’m feeling like I’m sinking in the shoulder and hip areas into the layer below which is not zoned so I still am not able to stay on my side. I’m wondering if the zoning is only effective if all the layers are zoned in the same manner and “give” in the same spots? If that’s the case would it make the most sense to switch out the 3" layer for a zoned layer of like firmness? I don’t want to lose proper alignment with too much zoning. The other option I had explored was a 2" ILD 14-16 layer (termed “very soft”) from the same manufacturer as the original. My fear with that option was “bottoming out” to the layer below but maybe that is the way to go? Your input is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I am not able to test the layers so I must make “educated” guesses and hope I get it right sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

Hi Bluebutterfly,

There are so many variables and possibilities involved that it’s not really possible to deal with complex health or physiological issues on a forum and it would be like trying to “diagnose” a medical condition from a distance without specific diagnostic tools or tests or the ability to do a medical examination in person. Trying to find a good match when you are outside of the norm in terms of PPP can involve some trial and error and there may not be a perfect solution as far as a mattress but I’m happy to make a few suggestions that may be worth trying.

The good news is that it sounds like your first mattress configuration was a good match in terms of alignment and that you may just have needed some fine tuning to provide some extra pressure relief to the mattress with the least possible risk to alignment. When you were sleeping on this configuration was the cause of your tossing and turning pressure points and actual symptoms of pain or discomfort on shoulders or hips that caused you to change position to avoid them (either turning to the other side or switching position to your back) or was it just a matter of the “feel” of the sleeping surface without specific symptoms (or were there other reasons for the tossing and turning). Do you generally go to sleep on your side (which may have pressure points) or on your back (which isn’t nearly as likely to have pressure points)?

Are you sure that the larger holes are in the hip area? Zoned layers are usually symmetrical in both directions and the shoulder zone would typically be below the hips in the other direction. The center of a zoned mattress is typically firmer to “hold up” the heavier pelvis area but the specifics of the zoning and how well the zones match each person depends on the number of zones, the specific zoning scheme, and on the person’s body type and proportions. Zoning can either be detrimental or helpful depending on how well it “matches” the needs and preferences of the person sleeping on it.

It sounds like yours is a 7 zone layer made by Moutaintop … is that correct?

The main benefit of zoning is that it can allow for more firmness under the parts of your body that need firmer support (generally under the pelvis or under the recessed lumbar curve) while being softer under the lighter parts of the body (such as the shoulders) to “allow” them to sink in more deeply. There is a little more about the potential benefits of zoning in post #11 here.

All the layers of a mattress compress at the same time and when you have a softer layer on top it will compress proportionately more than a firmer layer in the same position but in all cases some of the compression will be coming from the layer below it. It’s not so much that you are sinking into the second layer more but that the top layer is compressing more which increases the overall depth of the pressure relieving cradle. This is the reason for softer or thicker comfort layers (to increase the depth of the pressure relieving cradle). The benefit of zoned layers is that they can “allow” the pressure points to sink in more while at the same time “holding up” the heavier parts of the body or the parts of the body that need firmer support. In other words it’s desirable to sink in more with the pressure points so that pressure can be distributed away from them. When you say that you still can’t lay on your side is it because this combination is still too firm for you for your side sleeping even though it’s softer and more pressure relieving than the original top layer? How much each layer may be compressing relative to the other isn’t really important because it’s your actual experience and the degree of pressure relief that they provide as a combination that matters.

Zoning doesn’t have to be in every layer of the mattress although multiple zoned layers can compound the effect of zoning (for better or for worse) or in some cases zones can offset each other to some degree. Again everything depends on how well any zoning scheme (either with a single or multiple zoned layers) produces the specific alignment that your body needs.

This sounds like it would be close to the same firmness under your pressure points as the layer you have now so the effect would probably be similar except it may be less firm under the parts of your body that need more support (depending on how well the zoned layer matches the “contouring support” needs of your body). You won’t bottom out on any soft layer on top with the layers you have underneath them (all you will be doing is changing how much each layer compresses relative to the other) but if your current zoned layer isn’t working then I would guess that this one wouldn’t either since the ILD’s are very similar and the thickness is the same.

How does the current layer you have compare to the original layer you had. Is it more pressure relieving than your previous layer but still not quite enough? Have your sleeping symptoms changes since you changed the layer? What I’m looking for with these questions is did the new layer move things in the right direction but just “not enough”.

It may be worth considering doing some fine tuning with a topper instead of changing the layers of your mattress. A wool topper or a shredded latex topper can both help with pressure points and with lowering the resilience and surface tension of the sleeping surface (which can affect some people with fibromyalgia) and both have less risk to alignment than a solid layer.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

First, let me thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response. My apologies for taking so long in my reply. Life with chronic illness often gets in the way and I wanted to be able to take apart the bed to closely examine the zoning in the latex.

With the original configuration the tossing and turning was due to physical symptoms of pressure, pain and some tingling in the hands. I have always fallen asleep on my side so it became a matter of tossing and turning until I was so exhausted I finally fell asleep from the fatigue. I tried to train myself to fall asleep on my back, which felt significantly better, but was unsuccessful even after 3 months. I think I also hoped my body would grow accustomed to the new sleeping surface and all would be well in the end. However, since I fall into The Princess and The Pea category, that was not the case.

With regard to the zoning, you were absolutely right. The holes for the shoulders are the largest (approximately 1/2 inch) with the lumbar area being medium and the hips/pelvis being the smallest. Correct again that it is the 7 zone layer from Mountain Top. The layout of the zoning seems to be in the right areas for me. The pelvis is flat (not tilting forwards or backwards) and the lumbar area is filled in nicely whereas on the previous layer I could still slide my hand underneath. The shoulders are still the problem area. While the zoning is allowing them to sink in, I had someone look at me while laying on the bare latex and they are compressing the layer completely and touching the firmer monozone layer below. Now I realize the zipped quilted wool/cotton cover will offset this to a degree, but there is no doubt it is still too firm for side sleeping although going in the right direction otherwise. My chiropractor confirmed that after 3 weeks I went from 18 pounds out of alignment to within normal range again. Regarding the hips, I had mistakenly thought I was sinking in too far when in reality I was just feeling the firmness of that area of zoning. When you said multiple zoned layers in some cases can offset each other what were you referring to? I still have time to exchange my 3" monozone layer for a zoned layer.

I echo your thoughts with regard to the very soft layer and have eliminated that option. I had also thought the very same thing with regard to putting a latex or wool topper on the original configuration, but decided against it because of the additional cost after going over budget with the original mattress and not wanting to add additional height overall as I already have to “jump” up to get in. The original layer was exchanged so now that option is eliminated too unless it turns out to be the best option with the current setup as well.

Thank you again for your thoughts!

Bluebutterfly

Hi Bluebutterfly,

When you sink into a mattress all the layers will compress to different degrees and it’s not really possible to know how much each layer is compressing individually. For example if you had 3 layers of increasing firmness in a mattress and you sank in about 3" or so then the compression of the top layer may be about 60% of this, the next layer may be about 30% of this, and the bottom layer may be about 10% of this. Different layer combinations will change how much each layer compresses relative to the others but all the layers will always compress together under weight.

How much each layer compresses isn’t nearly as important as how well the layers as a whole provide you with good pressure relief and alignment on the mattress so I would always pay more attention to your actual perceptions and “symptoms” rather than how much you may be sinking into each layer.

With your lighter weight and fibromyalgia you would probably tend to do well with softer layers (the top layer particularly) than most other people would choose.

What I meant by this was that if you have multiple zoned layers then one zoning scheme may be firmer in an area where another zoning scheme was softer so to some degree they may “offset” each other. If they both had the same zoning scheme then this wouldn’t apply (they would be firmer and softer in the same areas). I would avoid trying to “theorize” about all the detailed specifics or specs that may be best for you because this can be very confusing and lead to information overwhelm. I would tend to make choices based on the expertise, knowledge, and experience of the manufacturer or retailer you are working with who will usually have more experience with the materials and combinations they sell than anyone else. Your “job” is to communicate the “symptoms” you are experiencing as accurately and completely as possible and their “job” is to help you with choosing what type of changes or layers out of what they have available that have the best odds of alleviating the symptoms you are experiencing so that the “best judgement” of both of you together has the best chance of success.

I would avoid getting overinvolved in more detailed specifications or technical aspects that can take years of personal experience to be able to predict or really know how any combination of materials will interact with specific people with any degree of certainty.

Phoenix