120 lb back and side sleeper searching for a mattress

Hi! I am looking for a mattress. I am open to many kinds and would ideally love to purchase one in person but have not been able to find a place in birmingham, AL. suggestions?
I am about 115-120 lbs and i sleep on my side and back. i purchased a soft mattress (winkbed gravitylux) because my shoulders often hurt when i sleep on my side and this mattress hurts my back so much. i believe i need a firmer support and a softer top. my bed is currently destroying my body and i am sleeping on a futon that isn’t much better and i am hurting! desperate for a great bed but i don’t want to rush and then regret my purchase like i am with the bed i have right now.

Hi sjassim.

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that your current bed is ‘destroying your body’ and that you are hurting. Not a good thing! Your WinkBed Gravitylux bed is made primarily of foam of undisclosed density; While some people can find beds of this type comfortable, generally memory foam and polyfoam of lower foam densities (See the mattress durability guidelines here ) will start breaking down causing virtual impressions and leading to postural and alignment issues and pains, all depending on how long you’ve had the mattress and how deep these impressions maybe. In addition to this, the soft firmness you selected may be inappropriate for your needs so you’d need to assess both aspects to be able to make a better mattress selection.

Generally, we’d need a bit more information from you to be able to better guide your mattress shopping journey. “Specs” about each person’s body type and sleeping position are an important part of how each person interacts with a mattress but there are many other variables as well. Here are some questions that will give a better idea and how to guide you.
What is your height? How long ago did your issues start (When did you first notice them)? What types of pain do you experience when sleeping on the back and when sleeping on the side? What is your body type and is your weight more or less evenly distributed? Did anything else change lately either in your sleeping postures or health-related? What kind of pains are you experiencing (numbness, tingling, lower or midback, etc.)? When in the course of the night do these pains tend to appear? Do they go away during the day? Is mattress durability important to you or are you looking to purchase a temporary mattress that will last you 2-3 years?

Even though you are hurting so badly, I am glad that you are in a non-rushing mindset. Taking your time and understanding your sleeping landscape and what went wrong with the previous purchase is a prerequisite to finding a mattress that closely matches your needs and preferences. There are many different types of layering combinations that can perform equally well for people of a certain height and weight and sleeping style so the best way to increase your odds of success is first to learn a few mattress basics (provided in The mattress shopping tutorial here) and then to work with a knowledgeable manufacturer/retailer who has the experience and knowledge to help you make the most suitable choices in “real-time” or one-to-one communication. There are some general weight and height guidelines here and some general guidelines about sleeping positions here and some information about how different types of layering can change and affect these guidelines in this section of the site but these are general guidelines and starting points only and will do more to help you know who has the knowledge to help you make the best choices more than they can be used to design or recommend a specific mattress based on what I call “theory at a distance”.

You don’t mention your height, but as a combo sleeper (back and side) you have thousands of options available. As you are not set on any specific type of mattress, so I’d start by determining that and the types of materials you like in your mattress to determine your preferences and then you can focus on your needs. If you have not already you may want to take a look at ourMattress Specifications you need to know, and the Mattress Durability Guidelinesto get an idea of what to look for. Also, you may be interested in thison Sleeping Positions to see how this relates to your mattress. Also, our[url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first] Mattress.

Unfortunately, due to the high volume and turnover in business across the country, we do not provide regional listings of mattress manufacturers and showrooms. I took a look, and there are two older posts discussing 2 businesses in Pelham, which is about 20 miles south of Birmingham, Royal Bedding in this postthis post and Enseley Fairfield Mattress is discussed in. Its’ always best to try a mattress in person, but if that proves difficult, know that most of the Trusted membersof the site provide online sales and have good return policies. You may want to try out different types of mattresses in
Local showrooms close to you to test get a more realistic idea of what kind of bed you might do well with (all foam, latex, hybrid, etc) also the style of the mattress (Eurotop, pillowtop, tight top etc), Once you determine that you can be better prepared and take a look at online offerings. You can read through our Mattress Shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you’ve had a chance to look at the readings mentioned above and provide us with some more details about you let us know and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Phoenix

I am also in that weight range. 3 mattress trials and then I found Brooklyn bedding custom hybrid. I used talalay latex for the top layer with an organic cotton top. I think latex is the way to go. I wanted to avoid it because health care workers have increased sensitization over time, but this is way more comfortable then the others I tried.Nest Sparrow, Saatva ultra plush, Sleepys Hush Plush. Foam just seems awfully unresponsive. If it’s still too firm you can always get a latex topper. Good luck!

thank you phoenix! that was quite helpful.
i am 5’3" and a female. my bed is super soft and my hips sinking down has been messing my low back up (probably misaligning my spine)

i visited fairfield ensley mattress co and it was great! i think latex is the way to go. i tried a spring topped with 3 inches of latex but my favorite was the pure talalay bliss that had a 8-9 inch core and a 4 inch latex topper. the coil topped was about 2200 and the pure latex was 5200. probably worth it but a lot to spend…

i am currently trying to decide!

i am also wondering if an online option is better. i want to support local but see that arizona premium mattress may make an all latex for much less.

also the option to buy the cheaper one and add a latex topper