14.75 vs 15.5 gauge Texas pocket spring

am a 5ft 7 strict back sleeper 196lbs fairly muscular and have wide large hips and shoulders 41in chest 18 in arms and a 33in waist I am wanting to try Texas pocket springs would you recommend 14.75 or 15.5 I have had an all latex build and found it way to rigid and pressed up uncomfortably on my back causing upper back pain. I loved the feel of latex as a comfort layer. So I will plan to use either a 2/3 inch medium layer on top of the coils

I want to see if a combo of latex the coils will finally get me a good night rest. I am getting good alignment and my body aches are better but damn I’m waking up constantly due to firmness of the intense pushback

I plan to get stretch cover premium cover from pocket spring store and one of their Texas pocket spring units. And he’ll even the micro coils seem awesome

1 Like

The mini coils are awesome. I’m 6’0" 215 pounds and have the 14.75g, quadmini and use a 2" layer of soft latex on top. I do sleep good on it but I think I would rather have the 15.5g coil base. For reference my nest and wild mattress has the 15.5g but has less coils than what they sell for the diy models. Meaning it’s even softer and he still recommends it for up to 245 pounds.

I have a hack for you btw. Use TMU10 at engineeredsleep.com on their toppers and you get an already sewn up version of whatever you want to use.

So what I would do is put the 15.5g quadcoil and quadmini in an 11" encasement, then you can make that into a modular mattress using different toppers depending on what feel you want.

In my opinion, having your base too firm doesn’t make sense. It removes the total conformity of the bed and forces the responsibility into the comfort layers. That’s one reason I like my nest and wild hybrid a lot, the springs are a touch soft but with the foams it all works together very well. I’m not trying to push that bed on you I just like it a lot

I just really think I’ve decided I like the modular idea. You have your medium-firm springs and use whatever topper you want.

That’s really helpful information. I think I will go 15.5 and use one of my three inch layers to start. If I need a bit more something I will put the quad mini inside the case and use a 2-3inch on top. That’s kinda what I was leaning towards anyway to be honest.

Why do you wish you got the 15.5 is it just a tad to firm and feels like it’s pushing back up on your body causing pressure point pain? That’s what I’m dealing with now and want to avoid it

1 Like

What I feel is that the quadmini is doing all the work. The 14.75g barely flexes under my weight on its own.

That’s good to know because I’m 5ft 7 196 pounds arthritic and muscular and want some flex in the bed. The current all latex build is way way dense and pushing back up aggressively and causing discomfort so I think this is the right move. Start with the coils and latex and add quad mini if needed I also plan to get the stretch cover from pocket spring so it has a nice compartment to house the coils and allows some stretch in the comfort material so it does feel like a tight drum

Yep latex feels like that because it’s literally rubber. I like the springs because they’re equally responsive. They do still have some bounce but it’s moderate while latex is high.

Had a 30 minute conversation with an amazing gentlemen named Matan at Texas pocket spring. I am going to go with 14.75 and get their premium stretch cover and rock the medium 3in inside to start

Well that’s gonna be pretty firm but he is smart you might like it. When I had the quadmini with the 14.75 and a medium Dunlop on top it was too firm for me. Hope what you pick works for you though it definitely could and you could add softness on top. Id rate the 15.5g at a 6.7 and a 14.75g at an 8 firmness