150 lbs, 5'8, warm, back sleeper - mattress recommendations?

I’ve been researching a lot, learning a lot, but still unable to decide what might be best for me.

I kind of want the thinnest mattress possible, unless it’s really not going to be as comfortable. I don’t want anything thicker than about 10", and I’m wondering if I can go as thin as 6-7" inches - considering that I’m only 150 lbs and mostly a back sleeper - or is that a bad idea? I have an adjustable bed frame, which is another reason I don’t want a real thick mattress, and I’m thinking it would be nice to have a thinner mattress that conforms to the frame better.

I have some lower back pain - not that bad usually, but I want to make sure my back is supported, but don’t want to go overboard on firmness since I don’t weigh that much.

If I buy or DIY a thin 6-7" or so mattress, should I definitely get a firm bottom layer? Glancing through several sites, some suggested a medium bottom layer, and others firm. seems like most people go with dunlop for the bottom layer, but since talalay supposedly breathes better, wouldn’t it be better to go with a firm talalay layer on bottom?

For the top layer, can anyone suggest soft or medium for me (150 lbs back sleeper)? Talalay or dunlop? I’m used to memory foam firmness ratings, and I think all these latex ratings are probably firmer(?), plus I read the feel of talalay and dunlop is quite different, so I really have no idea what might work best.

I know this is all very subjective and everyone is different, but the problem is, I don’t know of any place locally to even try a latex mattress, so I’m thinking I might just have to guess at it and hope for the best lol.

I was also considering a latex mattress with pocket coils, especially since they supposedly sleep a tad cooler. Do you think that would be worthwhile? (probably not possible in thin mattresses).

@Sleep_EZ

Hello Traxon

Thank you for reaching out with your inquiries! Regarding your question about our two-layer (7" model) versus three-layer (9" or 10" models), it’s worth noting that some customers have opted for the two-layer model in the past, and it has worked out fine for them. However, we’ve also had instances where customers initially chose the two-layer model but later upgraded to a three-layer model due to their evolving needs.

The popularity of our three-layer models primarily stems from their superior comfort and adjustability. A three-layer mattress typically consists of a contour and pressure relief layer on top, a transitional layer in the middle, and a support layer at the bottom. The densities of these layers are determined based on factors such as the individual’s weight and primary sleeping positions. Having three layers allows for a wider range of configuration and comfort options.

In contrast, the two-layer mattress transitions directly from the contour layer on top to the support layer below, lacking the intermediary transitional layer. This model is often preferred for children or individuals who require a firmer feel, such as stomach sleepers.

If you opt for a two-layer model based on your provided information, I recommend a soft Talalay layer over either a medium or firm Dunlop layer, depending on whether you prefer a plush or more supportive feel. Regardless of the density chosen for the lower layer, a soft Talalay surface layer will provide the contour and pressure relief you need.

For a three-layer model, I suggest a configuration of soft Talalay over Medium & Firm Dunlop. This configuration offers various comfort possibilities. For instance, if you find the standard setup too soft, you can adjust by shifting the firm layer from the bottom to the center, resulting in a S/F/M configuration, which offers more support on the surface. Our three-layer models, the 9" and 10" versions, differ primarily in the thickness of the contour layer on top. The 9" model features a 2" contour layer, while the 10" model boasts a 3" thickness. Although the 10" model is more popular, some individuals opt for the 9" version because they prefer a firmer, less plush feel on the surface. The thinner contour layer in the 9" model allows for a more pronounced sensation of support within the mattress, while the 3" layer in the 10" model provides enhanced contouring and pressure relief.

We offer a 90-day comfort exchange policy for our Natural and Organic mattress lines, allowing you to exchange comfort layers as needed within this period. You’re only required to cover shipping charges for each layer exchange, with the first exchange incurring a flat $30 fee.

Our success rate for customers who follow our layer configuration recommendations, whether through our online configurator tool or via phone or message communication, is approximately 90%. This statistic reflects our extensive experience and customer feedback spanning over 40 years, ensuring that 9 out of 10 customers find their initial layer configurations satisfactory.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out any time should you have additional questions. Happy Hunting!

1 Like

I’m not an expert, just someone who sleeps on a latex mattress. The first latex mattress I ever bought was 6" of “firm” and in my experience, it felt like sleeping on concrete. Then I went to a 6" of medium. The firmness felt okay but even though I weigh less than 120 lbs, it still wasn’t comfortable, so I added a 2" medium topper and slept on that configuration for about 17 years. Note that was all Talalay. More recently I was changing mattress size, and my ex had complained the mattress was too firm so I bought a 3-layer mattress with soft/medium/firm. I am only about 3 weeks in and still trying to figure out if it’s too soft for me. Not sure. As for temperature, in my experience a latex mattress does not make me warmer.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch of the information!

Sleep_EZ,
I think I halfway know what I want, but I’m debating on two things…

2" vs 3" top talalay layer. As a back sleeper, I’m thinking 3" might be too much? Or is that still usually best? (I’m 150 lbs). I assume there’s a separate 9" and 10" mattress cover, in which case I really need to decide which to go with, rather than try and swap it out later, since the other might not fit?

Also, it seems like most people are going with dunlop for the middle and bottom layers. However, I was thinking possibly talalay medium for the middle layer, since I believe talalay is supposed to cool a bit better? Or do you think it’s likely that will not be supportive enough for me as a back sleeper (only 150 lbs though).

Traxon

If you prefer a firmer and more supportive surface feel, the 2" comfort layer in the 9" model might be the better option for you. Conversely, the 3" comfort layer in the 10" model offers increased contouring and pressure relief, making it ideal for both side and back sleepers.

We typically recommend Talalay for both the top and middle layers only for individuals who require a plush feel, such as those with fibromyalgia. Essentially, two Talalay layers provide a more plush and pressure-relieving sensation.

One of the key benefits of latex, whether Talalay or Dunlop, is its open-cell structure, which promotes better breathability compared to poly and memory foams. While Talalay is slightly more open-celled than Dunlop, adding an additional Talalay layer as the second layer in the mattress won’t significantly impact overall breathability. Therefore, choosing Talalay should primarily be based on comfort preferences rather than heat regulation concerns.

Thanks again!

1 Like