20 layer cake/latex mattress question confusion

Update on my Pure Bliss “Vitality” hybrid Talalay latex mattress: It never “broke in” to feel as soft as the one in the store (plushness rating of 8 feels more like 5-6 to me). So much for the decision to buy locally because I wanted to test the mattress first. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy online next time where you can change out layers that aren’t glued together with certain online brands.
Mattress USA has a comfort guarentee, but it’s really an exchange policy, as they don’t adjust the mattress you have. The next model up that is soft is about $2000 more for 100% Talalay, and I didn’t want to spend that much dough.
So I found a 3" 100% Talalalay topper from Foam Factory for $330 (King). Most 3" toppers I found online were at least $400 for 100% Talalay (and more if it’s “natural” or “organic”). It doesn’t say synthetic latex, but it probably is at that price. And after you educated me on synthetic latex I don’t have a problem with it.
It arrived this morning and I immediately set it up. NO SMELL with latex, which is awesome, and the bed is SO comfy now with the #20 density.
If someone is in a similar predicament to me I would recommend trying this. Also, in terms of moving the layer around it would have been too heavy for me to manipulate it alone if it was more than 3" thick so keep that in mind if you are ordering component layers for a custom mattress. If you are ordering a 5’-6" core it will take 2 people. Otherwise you’ll need to get white glove delivery.

Just sharing some of my experiences,

Diana from Marietta

Hi dmartin1910,

I’m glad to see that a topper was able to solve your issues and it’s a good argument for why a mattress that is too firm is always a better option than a mattress which is too soft because it’s much easier to soften up a mattress that is too firm than the other way around.

Just for clarity though and for the sake of others who may read this … the topper you ordered from Foam Factory (FBM) isn’t Talalay (although they tell their customers that’s what they’re selling) and also isn’t likely to be 20 ILD (see post #2 here and post #2 here) but that’s much less important than the fact that it’s working well for you which is all that’s really important :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting us know.

Phoenix

You’re right. It’s comfort that matters as long as the value is there. And at $70 less than I found Talalay latex 3" topper King anywhere else, I guess it’s a fair price. But my receipt even says Talalay/ 20ILD. It galls me that they just LIE, even if I’m happy with the comfort of the product.

Hi dmartin1910,

It galls me as well and that’s why I bring up those two posts so often so that people are aware that they are not a reliable supplier in terms of providing an accurate description of what they are selling.

Unfortunately most consumers just don’t have the experience to be able to tell the difference between different types of latex or different ILD’s because they have no real reference points to compare them and I have seen many people struggle with the “latex” they have purchased from FBM because they don’t understand why it isn’t working the way it “should work”. In some cases this has led them to make other purchases that are just as bad because they are using a reference point that wasn’t accurate as their point of comparison.

Phoenix

I just pulled off the mattress pad and looked again, and sure enough it’s Dunlop. More solid on one side. no grooves like Talalay.

That’s funny because I bought the Vitality in December and just had to purchase a topper because it still feels too firm to me. Like a plushness rating of 5 instead of 8 like they advertise. So if they sai 19-21 ILD I’d say it felt like an ILD of 30!