200 pound back sleeper can sleep on floor, Memory Foam or Latex Mattress?

Should I go with Latex or memory foam based on my weight I am not picky or to worried about feel of mattress.

Hi UnProBoris and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here.

Any mattress you buy is unique to the sleepers who use it, based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and their PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). While you say you are not ‘too worried about feel’, remember sleeping on an unsuitable mattress could leave you with spinal misalignment or aches and pains in joints and back. You gave your weight, but not height; unless you are over 6’5" you have a higher BMI and should at least try out a few different mattress types in person to see how they feel, if possible. As you are a back sleeper you need to have adequate support to prevent any issues with posture or alignment caused by sleeping on a mattress which is not giving you adequate support….It sounds like you are going into buying a mattress with an open mind, which is great. There are a few things to consider: what materials you want in a mattress, the comfort level and thickness, what sort of base or frame you are considering using, and how long you want your mattress to last.

If you really want just ‘a mattress’, there are many inexpensive options that would likely last a few years….you may want to take a look at the mattress shopping tutorial to get an idea of how to best approach this, and also the mattress specifications you need to knowto compare the quality of materials and components, and the mattress durability guidelines to see how these materials hold up over time. Buying a mattress is an important purchase, and if you choose a good one that suits your comfort preferences and sleep and body type, it can last you many years.

As far as whether to choose latex or memory foam, no one can answer that besides you. Generally speaking, memory foam, if made with inexpensive materials in excessive thickness, can wear out prematurely, leaving worn spots or ‘divots’ which can cause spinal and joint pain. Also, if you sleep ‘hot’ many consumers find it uncomfortable as the foam allows sleepers perspiration to gather near their body which causes more heat to collect, unless you use a breathable layer like cotton, wool or coconut coir, or use a breathable mattress topper. Latex is more durable overall, but some people do not find it as comfortable as foam. Again, this is a personal preference.

As I noted previously, the best option is to try out a few different types of mattresses – latex, memory foam, hybrid – at a local showroom if possible…you then can rule out beds that you personally feel are uncomfortable; then you can at least narrow things down for yourself. I personally would avoid any manufacturer that does not disclose the details of their components-materials, firmness, thicknesses – as this can indicate a very substandard product. Once you have decided what type of mattress is best suited to you, you may want to take a look at our Trusted Membersof the site, as they offer products of excellent quality, fully disclose the materials and construction used in their components, and have great customer service and experience providing consumers with mattress which suit them.
And while we do not make recommendations, if you are looking at any specific mattress and have questions, we can possibly comment on them.

Hope this helps,

Basilio