2004-ish Simmons Beautyrest Plush Pillow Top Hammond Lake

We got rid of our 2004 mattress because the pillow top had finally broken down completely, which we loved, and are disappointed in our replacement (Tuft & Needle Mint). We are tossing and turning and have hip and back pain. I’ve attached a picture of the label on our old mattress.

What is the equivalent we could get (knowing the “major” manufacturers have gone downhill since we bought our last one)? We’re desperate.

Thanks!

Hi missingmyoldmattress.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry that the mattress you loved is no longer available and that your replacement isn’t giving you the proper support and pressure relief you need. You’re not the first looking to replace a mattress that is no longer in production. You might find it helpful to peruse post #9 here which describes several ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one.

There are also several factors that can affect how soft or firm a mattress (or an individual layer) feels besides just the exact specs, density, and ILD of the foam used (see post #4 here for more information )

The best you can hope for in such an endeavor is to find something “in the range”, but only your own careful personal testing along with several detailed conversations with an experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer/retailer may have any chance to get you a little closer to a mattress that replicates your sleeping experience of your preferred mattress.

NikkiTMU

Hi there stumbled this Forum and saw your post. we also had purchased our mattress in 2004. A Simmons beauty rest model was called Hammond I believe? Plush pillow top it’s the only mattress we’ve had since we’ve been married for 20 years! we’ve been wanting to get a new mattress for the last 2 to 3 years could it be we both bought the same mattress back in 2004? And did you find a suitable replacement any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. We desperately need something new, but we’re afraid we’ll be let down as you were with your first try at replacing yours.

I’d like to hear from them as well! Thanks for asking your question :slight_smile:

Are you looking for something similar to the Beauty Rest?

If you wouldn’t mind sharing a bit more about your sleep stats (side or back sleeper, pain points, etc) I’d be happy to chat more about what may be suitable!

NikkiTMU

OMGosh- I am back on TMU looking for a new mattress and read the posts about the 2004 Simmons Beautyrest pillow top- We had one as well and it was THE most comfortable mattress EVER!!!
The next mattress we bought was a king Avocado Green pillow top, it was well made, will prob last a long time, but a little too firm for me. After my husband passed, I moved and left the Avocado at the house. I’m now looking for something comparable to the 2004 Beautyrest pillow that I loved so much.
I’m a back, and side sleeper who tends to sleep hot with pain points on hips and sometimes shoulders. Definitely want a comfy pillow top with enough firmness to support my spine.
I’m looking at the current Beautyrest p/t BR8000 and BR9000 but need to try them. Suggestions appreciated.

Hi KimB and returning MUGster,
Welcome back to the community. The BR of 20 years ago is a bit different then the products they are putting out today. Many of the legacy names we know and loved, I had a Sealy Posturpedic Pillowtop from 2011 and when it died in 2022, I had to move along from the traditional brands. Your Acocado is a nice mattress, although the @My_Green_Mattress Kiwi Mattress Is much like the Avocado, but after you sleep on the Kiwi for a few weeks you will end up with a slightly softer version of the Avocado. Another mattress you may want to consider, as you were looking at the BR800 and 900 is the @DLX Premier DLX Premier and @mattressmakers Coronado All Natural.

I would suggest if you have to opportunity to test the BR mattresses if someone local as availability. If you find them as lovable as their predecessors, then great. My mother in law, who is 85 has one of these BR that is only 2 years old and I have had to rotate it and change her foundation, as she has a 3.5" butt depression adding to her back pain she was already experiencing due to other ailments.

Everyone is different, so her experience may not be the same as yours. In today’s market, we recommend comparing mattresses by looking at the component materials to determine the potential for quality, longevity and comfort.

Fortunately, all of our trusted members are committed to transparency with their product line-up, so you are assured that as good as it looks on the outside, there is quality on the inside.

Hopefully, this will give you a head start on selecting your new mattress. Welcome back to the MattressUnderGround. So sorry to hear about your husband, but feel comfortable we are here to help guide you to a new comfortable mattress.

Norm

Thanks for the mention, @Maverick!

Hi @KimB!
Avocado may not be the best choice for those who prefer a softer mattress. If you were a fan of the 2004 Beautyrest, it’s understandable why the Avocado mattress might not suit your preferences. Avocado mattresses are known for their firmer feel and more pronounced pushback. This is especially true for mattresses that use “100%” natural or organic latex as they tend to provide a firmer and more uplifting experience which some people might find too firm particularly if they are transitioning from a traditional mattress.

If you had a comfortable experience with Beautyrest, my recommendation would be to either consider purchasing another Beautyrest or explore products that incorporate similar materials. While Kiwi and Coronado mattresses are solid options, they rely on latex in their comfort layers, similar to the Avocado, which you mentioned finding uncomfortable.

It’s worth noting that in 2004, Beautyrest offered a wide range of options with significantly different feels, depending on factors such as price, mattress height, and materials used. Given the variations and without knowing the specific model name and its assigned firmness level, it’s challenging to guarantee that our mattresses would be a perfect fit for you. However, if you’re looking for something similar to a one-sided pillow-top mattress like the Beautyrest, the DLX Premier Hybrid could be a suitable option. It features a similar construction with pocket coils and foam, without any latex, providing a softer and more familiar feel.

If you decide to try a Beautyrest mattress and discover that you enjoy it but are considering switching to a DLX mattress, please provide us with the specific model name and its assigned firmness level. We can then assess how our mattresses compare to your preferred Beautyrest option. It’s important to note that we don’t replicate exact matches of other brands, but we will inform you if we have a product with a similar feel or not. There are instances where it may be challenging for us to find an exact match in terms of the feel of a Beautyrest mattress.

1 Like

@KimB,

@DLX, Thanks so much for highlighting the Kiwi and Coronado as latex options. I assume when I say something everyone knows what I am thinking and talking about, :roll_eyes:.

It is worth noting the personal service @DLX offers as is the advantage of our Trusted Members, that the box boys do not. Which you were too humble to mention, so I will!
Kim,
Best of luck on your search!
Norm