3" 14-ILD topper is too soft over Bolsa coils

My hybrid setup is the 3" Talalay (14 ILD) topper + 8" Bolsa coils. It seems to be too soft.

• 5โ€™8" / 140 lbs (BMI 21) - side and back sleeper. Coming from a firm mattress to this one, my pillow now gives me neck pain and the mattress gives me lower back pain. Took a nap without the topper to see how it felt to only have the bamboo cover over the bolsa coils โ€“ It was fine except for minor pressure point pain. I think that indicates that the topper is simply too soft and the coils themselves are closer to the firmness that would be fine.

• 5โ€™4" / 110 lbs (BMI 19) - mostly back sleeper with some side. Old mattress was too firm, so wanted something softer. This setup is fine for back sleeping, but is very uncomfortable for side sleeping.

I donโ€™t know whether to try a firmness exchange for the 19 ILD or 28 ILD toppers or a different setup entirely with the toppers or support.

If you need a little more firmness then the 19 but sounds like the #28 would work best.

The mattress was sagging the topper into the coils and it didnโ€™t feel very supportive on my lower back. I bought 0.5" of 50-ILD Lux-HQ foam to try as a transition layer between the topper and coils and that seems to have firmed it up sufficiently.

How much of a problem would it be to add an extra half-inch / 0.5" layer (11.5" total) into the 11" bamboo cover?

We donโ€™t make the covers in half inch increments. We can do 11" or 12". Since our covers fit tight the 12" would be a better choice.

1 Like