3" Dunlop Soft Latex topper losing support

HI Phoenix - this forum continues to be super helpful but my unfortunately my journey continues with my restless sleeping. I have went through in depth research and experience with mattresses and finally landed on innerspring mattresses is the way to go for me. I was stable for two years until it inevitably started to sag in my hip/lower back area and started waking up sore. (I’m 5’7, 175lb and carry most of my weight around the upper body and hips.) I purchased a firmer mattress (that was too firm for me) and put on a 3" Soft “Natural Latex” (I assume Dunlop) topper in hopes that this would make my bed “last longer” without sagging. This set up was acceptable until now after 7 months on the topper, it has begun to lose resiliency/support along the center of my back.

• I’ve removed the topper to ensure that the mattress isn’t sagging and it continues to be firm/supportive after a restless night of sleep on it.
  • With the topper on and I were to sleep on areas that normally don’t carry weight, it still has that “new topper” support/feel that I need.

Do I go with a:

1. 3" Medium latex topper OR
  2. 2" Soft Latex topper in hopes that being closer to the mattress will give me support I need OR
  3. 2" Medium latex topper

Open to any other suggestions as well.

Hi johnnyjuice99.

Welcomed back to our Mattress Forum! Thanks for your kind words.

You found a good way to test and pinpoint a possible cause for the sagging. To check all your bases, I’d also suggest a “ground up” assessment to make sure that there is nothing under the mattress that may be contributing to the issue. The mattress needs to rest on an evenly supportive base that will not sag or weaken over time under the weight of the mattress and the people on it. You can verify if the support system you are using is appropriate if you place your mattress topper combo directly upon the floor to see if that makes any difference for you. If it improves then you also have a foundation issue that needs addressing.

Your BMI is a bit in the higher ranges and as you carry most of the “weight around the upper body and hips” it’s quite possible that your “3” Soft Natural Latex" will (sooner rather than later) start breaking down and losing its supportive qualities in the areas your weight is more concentrated (which can also be sped up by many other factors such as higher levels of activity on the mattress, nightly toss and turn, type of latex, …100% NR is not as durable as Blended Latex). Even so, it’s very rare for a latex topper to show this level of wear and tear so soon in its life cycle. All given, I am guessing that the layer was too soft for your needs when you first purchased it, thus any amount of foam softening put you over the edge of what would be a good spinal alignment for you.

[QUOTE] Do I go with a:

1. 3" Medium latex topper OR
  2. 2" Soft Latex topper in hopes that being closer to the mattress will give me support I need OR
  3. 2" Medium latex topper [/QUOTE]
    In theory, all 3 options could work (at least for a while), but there are a few things to keep in mind based on your experience thus far. The 2" in soft (assuming it’s the same type of latex) will break down sooner than the previous 3" layer so you are looking at a shorter life span for the topper. You most likely are aware that firmness choice should be based on the sleeper’s needs and preferences and not on durability considerations but in this case, it’s worth mentioning.

If you have a way to open the Toper cover, I’d also look at the cell structure to see you have Dunlop or Talalay in soft. (You can post a picture here if you are unsure).

From your description, it looks like your heavier parts bottom out onto the firmer layers below while your lighter parts are not sinking in deep enough to ensure neutral spinal alignment. It would probably be safer to increase the topper firmness (this will also be more durable) but we can revisit that once you let us know what your sleeping position(s) is, and what kind of discomfort, pains, and symptoms you experience during the course of the night.

Generally, both firmness and thickness topper choices would depend on many factors such as your primary sleeping position, range of sensitivity, etc… there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person so it would be difficult for anyone to predict or make a specific suggestion about which combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, Personal Preferences) or how a mattress will "feel. So I’d also revisit both these readings The mattress shopping tutorial here) on testing guidelines in step 4 and post #2 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“johnnyjuice99”]
I purchased a firmer mattress (that was too firm for me) and put on a 3" Soft “Natural Latex” (I assume Dunlop) topper in hopes that this would make my bed “last longer” without sagging.

I am curios if you were able to verify if your latex topper is Dunlop or Talaylay? As Phoenix said, I am surprised to learn that after just 7 months, your topper is already showing signs of lost resiliency. I would be curios to know how fresh your pad was when you received it, as well as if it has been exposed to sunlight? I also read on one forum that bedding with copper threads can break down latex. Not sure how much truth there is to this, but it is worth giving it a thought! I hope you’ve been able to solve your mattress issues. :smiling_face:

thanks for the input!

I’m currently using a KDS foundation that I learned from this forum was a good supportive base.

I opened the topper cover and attached the photos here. I visually inspected the middle where it softened up and it looks the same as other areas of the topper, no visual difference of wear and tear.

I am a back sleeper and begin to toss and turn in the night when starts to get a dull ache in the area between my shoulder blades as well as my lower back. Shifting to my side alleviates the discomfort as well as sleeping on my back if I were to move to the edge of the topper that is still “firm”.

• With this info, do you still think all 3 options could work or is one more favorable than the other?
  • Is there a recommended latex topper that is a reliable source but also on have decent budget pricing?